Help understanding a wireless router

Old man

Hello my friends,

My name is Terk, I'm 89 years old and trying to learn about wireless routers for my home.

Here is my set up, I have a 2 story home. We have Comcast internet/phone and use their modem for this. The modem is hard wired upstairs. It sends off wireless signals thru out the house. Signals downstairs seem to be slower.
A neighbor in our community suggested a wireless router.
I looked online at them and it seems that you connect them to the modem directly? I was thinking about buying something like this, DAP-2553 AirPremier N Dual Band PoE Access Point , if it would help increase the signals in the home.

I'm still very confused by them and wondered if someone here could explain them in old man terminology :) and then, if this type of device is exactly what I need, perhaps walk me thru all the install and set up.
Lastly, if you have suggestions for something else, please, please let me know. We tried a wifi extender but that wasn't much help.

I should also mention, the modem has to be connected upstairs. It's my wife's home office. Thank you, Terk

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you able to connect an ethernet cable between the 2 devices? If so, its very easy to setup a second router to extend your wireless. If not, you will need to buy a range extender.

Agent Smith

Hmm. The best option would be a range extender so long as it's configured properly. I would use channels 1, 6 or 11. Placement is critical. I was going to recommend a higher power WIFI router, but I have read those don't necessarily improve the signal. Basically, if your computer can't transmit a strong signal than receiving a higher signal is pointless. I'm surprised the modem is upstairs as the modem should be as close to the tap as possible which would be downstairs.

Old man

We had to put upstairs because of wife's office. Her company requires a hard wire connection and no place downstairs for an office.

With the modem upstairs, yes, I could place router next to it and plug it in.

Would that ruin the signal throughout the house?

We tried an extender and it wasn't much help at all. I have downstairs computer using a DLink DW130 for connection as the wireless card on Dell computer was horrible. Should I get another device to use for internet connection? Perhaps a better DLink? Or similar?

Agent Smith

That USB adapter doesn't have very good reviews on NewEgg.com. Dlink is kinda cheap IMO (In My Own Opinion). I would try something like this. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106135

But you need to know how to install a PCIe card and you need a PCIe card slot in the computer. What model Dell is it?

If you don't want to go that route then maybe one of these USB adapters will work better. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166046

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833389019

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704045

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833166056

A wireless router may work better too. Providing you run an Ethernet cable from the modem to the router and place the router as close to where your computer is downstairs.

Do you have your wireless connection password protected? i.e encrypted?

Does the modem have multiple Internet connection ports or just one? These are called LAN ports. (Local Area Network.)

Last edited:

Old man

The wifi card on computer is. Ad so that is why I tried this DLink. Maybe I will buy the one you suggest.

I'm 89 years old and wouldn't be able to add a new card on my own. And local computer guy wanted $150 to do it. That is why I started to try and understand routers.

Yes, we are password protected. It's a Comcast modems for Internet and phone. We don't use them for TV.

Maybe a best start is to replace that DLink. Huh?

Old man

XPS 8700

Wifi card that came on desktop is terrible.

No way to run cable from upstairs to downstairs. Long way.

Old man

maybe I should start with improvement over the DLink?

Obviously DLink isn't working. What other brands should I investigate? And what should I make sure they have or don't have

Old man

Sorry.
Modem at top of the stairs, towards front of the house, and den downstairs near back of the house.

My apologies for forgetting to answer this

Old man

Would using a better range extender help? Or better to replace the DLink DW130?

I saw these extenders and wondered if they may help: NETGEAR Universal Wifi-Range Extender (WN2000RPT), Netgear WN2500RP Universal Dual Band WiFi Range Extender, NETGEAR AC1200 WiFi Range Extender EX6200 - Wireless network extender - 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac - Dual Band

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ex6200 may work for you, since it has antenna's on it. The reviews on it is 50/50 on Newegg.com. Could be hit or miss with it. You can try it and if it doesn't work then just get the router I linked you to.

Old man

I just posted a whole bunch of WIFI adapters. Those are from the highest rating. Try on of those!

I will do just that. Thank you all so much.

I still have trouble understanding all of this techie stuff but nice to know there is a place like this where I can seek help.

Old man

Regarding these adapters, is it better to have one that says "up to 150 mbps" or "up to 300mbps" or higher/lower?
Is higher better or is lower?

Old man

You can add a better router next to the comcast modem.

Something like this.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833320091

You can direct those antenna's to where you need to.

Basically all depends on what you want to do. Is the comcast modem directly under you on the first floor or how far away is it?

The modem is upstairs.

My comcast modem is this:
TECHNICOLOR TC8305C

I found this router, DIR-655 Xtreme N Wireless Gigabit Router, brand new for $70.

Would this be a good option? If so, is setting these up easy for myself? Nothing with my comcast modem that would make setting it up an issue?

I've been trying to find an installation video but not having any luck.