Help understanding a wireless router

beers

Staff member
Regarding these adapters, is it better to have one that says "up to 150 mbps" or "up to 300mbps" or higher/lower?
Is higher better or is lower?

Usually, 'more is better' in that case. Things like 150 mbps vs 300 mbps may indicate how many spatial streams the NIC can facilitate for send/receive which would effectively increase your bandwidth.

The mbps rating is basically how many bits per second the interface can transmit, so you'd fit double the amount of data through at 300 vs 150.

Old man

Usually, 'more is better' in that case. Things like 150 mbps vs 300 mbps may indicate how many spatial streams the NIC can facilitate for send/receive which would effectively increase your bandwidth.

The mbps rating is basically how many bits per second the interface can transmit, so you'd fit double the amount of data through at 300 vs 150.

Thank you for that explanation. very helpful

Agent Smith

More is better if and that's IF you transfer files on your own network. This is different than your Internet speed. So for Internet it wouldn't matter at all.

Old man

More is better if and that's IF you transfer files on your own network. This is different than your Internet speed. So for Internet it wouldn't matter at all.

Ohhhh. So the numbers aren't an indication of speed?

One at 150 and one at 300 are most likely going to be the same internet speed?

Agent Smith

For Internet, yes. For file transfers on your computers and if you have a NAS (Network Attached Storage) you would then want the 300 Mbps. Just for Internet I wouldn't even bother with the 300 Mbps adapter.

I would get this one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833389019

Those are 5 Dbi antennas so it should be able gto pull in a signal better. just make sure you uninstall the current WIFI driver with you USB WIFI stick before you install this one. Plug new USB WIFI stick in and then load the drivers.

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Ohhhh. So the numbers aren't an indication of speed?

They are an indication of speed between your wireless device and your wireless router, not the speed between your modem and your internet service provider. If you only have say a 20Mbps internet connection, it wouldn't matter if you had a 150Mbps or 450Mbps connection on your laptop as far as internet browsing is concerned.

Old man

For Internet, yes. For file transfers on your computers and if you have a NAS (Network Attached Storage) you would then want the 300 Mbps. Just for Internet I wouldn't even bother with the 300 Mbps adapter.

I would get this one - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833389019

Those are 5 Dbi antennas so it should be able gto pull in a signal better. just make sure you uninstall the current WIFI driver with you USB WIFI stick before you install this one. Plug new USB WIFI stick in and then load the drivers.

OK, so uninstall the Dlink, check.

I also have the Dell wifi card that came with computer disabled. Should I uninstall that too? If so, I may need directions on how to uninstall that one.

Agent Smith

When you get the new wireless adapter, then uninstall the driver. You should be able to do that in programs and features under the control panel. Find the wireless software in the programs list and select uninstall. If the Dell WIFI card is installed too uninstall that driver.

I'm really not sure if a new WIFI adapter is going to help though. Where was the the wireless extender located when you tried that? It should have been downstairs.

Old man

When you get the new wireless adapter, then uninstall the driver. You should be able to do that in programs and features under the control panel. Find the wireless software in the programs list and select uninstall. If the Dell WIFI card is installed too uninstall that driver.

I'm really not sure if a new WIFI adapter is going to help though. Where was the the wireless extender located when you tried that? It should have been downstairs.

It was downstairs. Right next to computer

Agent Smith

Do you still have the extender? You can try placing it upstairs and near to where you are at downstairs. Since you aren't getting a good signal downstairs neither will the extender.

Old man

Do you still have the extender? You can try placing it upstairs and near to where you are at downstairs. Since you aren't getting a good signal downstairs neither will the extender.

So, place extender in a room nearest being above the room downstairs?

Ahh, will try that.

Agent Smith

Yes. Since a signal is not getting downstairs the extender will logically not get a signal downstairs either. By placing it upstairs and nearest to where you are downstairs you might have better luck.