HELP-Very high ping, what is going on?

The VCR King

I have AT&T DSL, and it goes to my Wi-Fi router, and my computer is connected to the router with the built-in ethernet hub. Normally my ping is about 25-50, but for about a week now my ping has been above 700ms and above, and it is causing severe issues with my system and running my games. I have tried resetting the router, different ethernet cables, blahblahblah, and nothing has happened. Anyone know what is going on?

salvage-this

Ping to what?

Ping your default gateway, ping Google DNS (8.8.8.8) run a speed test. Please post your results.

beers

Staff member
blahblahblah
I admire your troubleshooting process.

What does blahblahblah specifically encompass?

Usually one would get this behavior for high utilization on a link, you could do something like traceroute (or MTR) and see the latency between each hop and where it begins collecting additional time.

It's probably a user level type of issue for uploading data somewhere, malware or similar.

Geoff

VIP Member
Yes.

TF2 servers.
Did you do what was suggested? There are TF2 servers in your state, across the country, and all over the world. They will vary wildly.

Run a speed test and post your ping results, ping 8.8.8.8 and tell us your results. If both of those are high, ping your default gateway and see if that's high.

Geoff

VIP Member
Well, the gameplay isn't too bad so I'm not very concerned. It's just the high ping thats got me worried.
Did you even read my post? Are you sorting servers by lowest ping? There are servers all over the world, if you're in a European server it will have much higher ping than a local server in the US.

NerdGirl1313

I have AT&T DSL, and it goes to my Wi-Fi router, and my computer is connected to the router with the built-in ethernet hub. Normally my ping is about 25-50, but for about a week now my ping has been above 700ms and above, and it is causing severe issues with my system and running my games. I have tried resetting the router, different ethernet cables, blahblahblah, and nothing has happened. Anyone know what is going on?

I would use a switch not a hub.

C4C

are there other open programs the OP is running while gaming?

Skype, Teamspeak, other internet programs or streams?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
You still haven't posted a speed test or ping test..

This was the speedtest from his Steam Server thread.

3945688348.png

Geoff

VIP Member
While his connection is slow, his ping on that test and from a ping to 8.8.8.8 shows that his ping in general isn't a problem. My guess is that he's just using servers far away from his location.