HELP With DRAM_LED on first pc build

winston

Hi,

I just finished assembling my first ever pc and I have a problem. When I press the power button, every fan starts but I get a yellow led (underneath the orange power led) indicating that I have a problem with my ram. I have tried every combination in every sloth and it still doest post...

What can I do? :(

Mobo= Asus strix z270e gaming
Ram= g skill ddr4-3200

This is exactly my problem:

Thanks

Last edited:

Laquer Head

Are you running 2 sticks in dual channel? (slot #2 and #4)

Did you flash to most current BIOS revision? For your board it should be Version 1302

winston

Are you running 2 sticks in dual channel? (slot #2 and #4)

Did you flash to most current BIOS revision? For your board it should be Version 1302
Yes two sticks in the right slots according to mobo manual.

How can I flash it ? I can't interact with the computer in anyway (that I know of). What is the way to flash a new BIOS revision?

Thank you very much

Laquer Head

bios_8.jpg You can download the BIOS file to a blank USB flash drive.. reboot machine and enter the BIOS... scroll to the section where you can flash the bios and then allow the machine to update itself.

Before you do that, remind us what parts you have installed so we can verify your settings for other stuff is correct.

Laquer Head

To update BIOS you go to the ASUS site and download the correct version for your motherboard, you put the file onto a blank USB drive, reboot the machine and as soon as it posts hit F2 or DEL and then you enter BIOS.. navigate to the section I posted in the image above (Eazy Flash Utility) and find that file from your USB stick.. and tell the machine thats what you wish to upgade to. (see link below)

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z270E-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Before you do this, did you verify the RAM sticks are both seated properly so the tabs lock down? alot of people dont push them in right and then it isnt connected right... double check this!

If issues persist try to get into the BIOS, it should go in even with RAM issue.. my ROG board does with no ram installed.

Laquer Head

On a side note, which slot did you install your SSD into? top or bottom? as I'm sure you have 2 like me.

You can try swapping to the other one and try that also. You may need to manually change the speed/type in the BIOS. Samsung Nvme seem to recognize right away but I've heard people say other brands need to be manually setup in BIOS. I've never used a WD black nvme ssd so I can't verify one way or the other ,.,..

winston

To update BIOS you go to the ASUS site and download the correct version for your motherboard, you put the file onto a blank USB drive, reboot the machine and as soon as it posts hit F2 or DEL and then you enter BIOS.. navigate to the section I posted in the image above (Eazy Flash Utility) and find that file from your USB stick.. and tell the machine thats what you wish to upgade to. (see link below)

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z270E-GAMING/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Before you do this, did you verify the RAM sticks are both seated properly so the tabs lock down? alot of people dont push them in right and then it isnt connected right... double check this!

If issues persist try to get into the BIOS, it should go in even with RAM issue.. my ROG board does with no ram installed.
I did exaclty like you said (downloaded the latest bios update from assus 1302, unziped it, put the file in a formated usb ) but it still didn't work. The ram is properly installed and I tried with 2 different keyboards with no succes. The screen still says no signal and the orange led stays on...

winston

On a side note, which slot did you install your SSD into? top or bottom? as I'm sure you have 2 like me.

You can try swapping to the other one and try that also. You may need to manually change the speed/type in the BIOS. Samsung Nvme seem to recognize right away but I've heard people say other brands need to be manually setup in BIOS. I've never used a WD black nvme ssd so I can't verify one way or the other ,.,..
I installed the ssd in the bottom one

winston

I can't acces the Bios at all actually :/

Laquer Head

On a side note, I assume you purchased a copy of Windows 10 home or pro 64 bit correct? either physical disc, usb drive, or intend to download it and already bought a digital key?

winston

NEWS! I tried again one stick at a time in each slot. First Dimm did not work in any slot. Second Dimm worked but only in the first slot.... I can't really use the first slot because of the cpu radiator fan (I had to remove the fan). Is it safe to try and update the BIOS from usb with the only stick that works in the first slot without the cpu radiator fan?

Thanks

Laquer Head

The CPU will likely overheat and system will shutdown without anything on it.. I'd advise against that.

But, sounds like you might have a bad ram kit.. may need to RMA it!

EDIT.. thinking more on this.. the board might actually have issues too :(

winston

The CPU will likely overheat and system will shutdown without anything on it.. I'd advise against that.

But, sounds like you might have a bad ram kit.. may need to RMA it!

EDIT.. thinking more on this.. the board might actually have issues too :(
Yeah looks like 3 dimm slots are bad and 1 stick is bad....