HELP With DRAM_LED on first pc build

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Put the stick of ram that works back in and update bios and try remaining stick again in other slot.

winston

Put the stick of ram that works back in and update bios and try remaining stick again in other slot.
I just tried that but now I get the same error when it used to work 10 min ago! I was very carefull when installing and removing the ram :/ I am very confused

Laquer Head

I just tried that but now I get the same error when it used to work 10 min ago! I was very carefull when installing and removing the ram :/ I am very confused
Yeah, somethings not working right bud.. :(

Sounds like your doing all the usual things correctly.. are you sure you cant populate that #1 slot and have cooler installed?

winston

Yeah, somethings not working right bud.. :(

Sounds like your doing all the usual things correctly.. are you sure you cant populate that #1 slot and have cooler installed?
Managed to get into de bios, and update it with the usb! Should I try installing the second dimm an see if it works normally?

Laquer Head

Managed to get into de bios, and update it with the usb! Should I try installing the second dimm an see if it works normally?

Yeah, can't really hurt at this point.

Try 1 and 3.. then 2 and 4 and even try 1 stick in each slot.. one at a time... see how that goes!

winston

I tried installing the second dimm but then the led turns solid red... i guess the second dimm is kaput? The first dimm does work perfectly and appears in the bios!

Laquer Head

I tried installing the second dimm but then the led turns solid red... i guess the second dimm is kaput? The first dimm does work perfectly and appears in the bios!

Yeah, sounds like 1 stick is toast.

I'd also be concerned, however, that the good stick still wasn't posting in any of the other 3 slots. While the one stick might be good, the motherboard itself may now be the bigger issue.

winston

Yeah, sounds like 1 stick is toast.

I'd also be concerned, however, that the good stick still wasn't posting in any of the other 3 slots. While the one stick might be good, the motherboard itself may now be the bigger issue.
I realized I wasn't cliping the ram all the way ( shame on me) now the first stick works in all slots

Laquer Head

The other one is still bas tho. Sorry it's a dumb mistake, I am used to dimm slots with 2 clips each side but thid mobo only have them on one side yet it hss to clic on both sided.
All good, but yeah since that 2nd stick is still no good, you ought to RMA the kit (assuming they came as a 2 stick kit) and try with a new kit.. if the same issues happen then its the motherboard and that will need to be RMA'ed.. but truthfully..sounds like you have 2 issues.

I'd RMA both the RAM and the motherboard and pick a different board. Stick with Asus, but a different model.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
But if he cant use the other slots and his cooler doesnt fit the PC will shut off on him..
He said he had one stick that would work, he could update bios and try again. The bios update could be a memory compatibility thing. But this could be a motherboard fault.

I would actually recommend Gigabyte motherboards.