Help with IE7.

Helltech

Ever since Beta, "I just assumed when the real version came out this problem was fixed, but with no avail", I havn't been able to go to link that end in .exe. Thusly I cannot download any programs. This is a major problem for me, becuase I need to download a lot of programs, especially off of microsofts sight. Anyone know what could be the problem?

P.S. I have uninstalled, and reinstalled, and I have set every "setting" to default.

PC eye

banned
Anything that ends with an "exe" file extension is an executable to start some type of program. You would need to go to the site itself directly and add the download page to your favorites. And yes there is a world of difference between the IE 7 beta release and the finished version. It works!

Helltech

Anything that ends with an "exe" file extension is an executable to start some type of program. You would need to go to the site itself directly and add the download page to your favorites. And yes there is a world of difference between the IE 7 beta release and the finished version. It works!

I have the latest release >.>

Anyway, I always used to be able to just click a link that said "download wmp11" for example, and it would just go to the execuable. But now its all stupid..

And that favorites thing didn't work.

SirKenin

banned
lol no worries buddy. He seldom if ever knows what he's doing.

I found this for you:

Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs | Set Program Access and Defaults |
Browser: IE /must/ be chosen here if you're running IE7 and want such links
to work.

If still no joy:

http://www.fjsmjs.com/OE/nolinks.htm

If nothing happens when you click a link:
Open Windows Explorer, or the Control Panel.
Go to Tools | Folder Options | File Types.
Scroll down to [NONE] URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol (NOT URL:Internet
Shortcut) and select it.
Click Edit or Advanced, depending on your Windows version.
Select 'open'.
Click Edit.

"Application used to perform this action" should read:

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\iexplore.exe" -nohome (Check the path to
iexplore.exe to make sure that is correct and use the double quotes.)

DDE should be checked and in the boxes below it you should have:

"%1",,-1,0,,,,
IExplore

WWW_OpenURL

URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol with Privacy should be the same.

Sometimes it is necessary to uncheck Use DDE.

Helltech

No avail with either of that.

Yes, the privacy one is the same.

I'll go to that site and check the other ways.

No help with the other methods. What else could be wrong? :( Its not like I'm a noobie to computers either, this is one of the first problems I have actually needed help with.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
lol no worries buddy. He seldom if ever knows what he's doing.http://

Gee you're having a great batting average. :p

No avail with either of that.

Yes, the privacy one is the same.

I'll go to that site and check the other ways.

No help with the other methods. What else could be wrong? :( Its not like I'm a noobie to computers either, this is one of the first problems I have actually needed help with.

You will probably need a visual basic script for what you are trying to do there if not a new value added in the registry. Now you see why it is simply easier to first find the intended download pages and save the links directly. It simplifies things.

Helltech

Does it work when you right-click, save as...?

No

Why dont you just get firefox?

1. I should havn't to. 2. I hate the layout. 3. Except for this minor problem, I love IE.

Gee you're having a great batting average. :p

You will probably need a visual basic script for what you are trying to do there if not a new value added in the registry. Now you see why it is simply easier to first find the intended download pages and save the links directly. It simplifies things.

But that didn't work ...

I ran scans, and checked the registry if any of you wondered, all is ok. I added an IE_default_browser, to my registry. Nothing at all.

And I will reitterate, I hate FireFox, the layout is not friendly to me, and it seems to run all whack for me.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
When trying to open a few links lately I would see a blank page with a page could not be found screen until disabling the new antiphising filter in IE 7. That also prevented playback of videos when someone posted a link. This could be another thing to try there.

Helltech

When trying to open a few links lately I would see a blank page with a page could not be found screen until disabling the new antiphising filter in IE 7. That also prevented playback of videos when someone posted a link. This could be another thing to try there.

I hate anti-phising, and I have no need for it .. and thusly it is off already. Although I have tried it with it on, just to be sure.

I'm at a total loss, I thought what the other guy said would have fixed it. But no dice.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
I hate anti-phising, and I have no need for it .. and thusly it is off already. Although I have tried it with it on, just to be sure.

I'm at a total loss, I thought what the other guy said would have fixed it. But no dice.

It's always "no dice" there! If you still want IE 7 to go on first save a copy of the IE setup file to the drive and go into the add/remove Windows components section of the add/remove programs not just the Windows updates at the bottom and completely uncheck any IE components. Windows will then uninstall any traces of IE. From there simply double click on the setup file to see a fresh installation of IE 7 go on.

Once you have gone through the IE connection wizard and are online again you lower some settings as well totally disable the antiphising filter in the "tools>internet options>advanced" section where you will see the option to disable that right near the bottom. You can also lower the settings in the security section to some degree without the constant security bar coming up on the explorer window. That will allow you to enable signed and unsigned active content and other items at the disabled or prompt first settings.

Helltech

It's always "no dice" there! If you still want IE 7 to go on first save a copy of the IE setup file to the drive and go into the add/remove Windows components section of the add/remove programs not just the Windows updates at the bottom and completely uncheck any IE components. Windows will then uninstall any traces of IE. From there simply double click on the setup file to see a fresh installation of IE 7 go on.

Once you have gone through the IE connection wizard and are online again you lower some settings as well totally disable the antiphising filter in the "tools>internet options>advanced" section where you will see the option to disable that right near the bottom. You can also lower the settings in the security section to some degree without the constant security bar coming up on the explorer window. That will allow you to enable signed and unsigned active content and other items at the disabled or prompt first settings.

Actually I have totally uninstalled IE completely off my pc already. I am preety sure I have stated that, and you already know I tried no security settings what so ever.

PC eye

banned
Apparently you are going to have to use IE 6 unless you go to the download sites and find out what was different at that time then after installing IE 7 beta and now the finished version. Was there a download tool installed from the one or more sites or something on the idea of a bit torrent?

Helltech

Apparently you are going to have to use IE 6 unless you go to the download sites and find out what was different at that time then after installing IE 7 beta and now the finished version. Was there a download tool installed from the one or more sites or something on the idea of a bit torrent?

No nothing like that. But I tried to go back to IE6, and I get the same page not displayed error. I guess I should have said that. I honestly don't know whats wrong. Ever since I got the beta IE7 that has alwasy been screwed up. I have NO idea why it doesn't work on IE6 now either. I even backed up all my files I needed from my HHD and reformated my internal HDD, then I had IE6 on my pc from Windows Xp, and it wouldn't work. WTH!

PC eye

banned
The problem there is finding out just what is different now from when you were able to download direct with IE 6. Besides going to the IE 7 beta take a look at any other changes seen during that time. A registry change is one thing that comes to mind right away due to swap of IEs there. There may have been an addon originally to IE 6. With that lost when puttin the beta on you just to find the one thing missing. Were you required to download and install anything or allow certain active content to run? prior to running IE 7?

Helltech

The problem there is finding out just what is different now from when you were able to download direct with IE 6. Besides going to the IE 7 beta take a look at any other changes seen during that time. A registry change is one thing that comes to mind right away due to swap of IEs there. There may have been an addon originally to IE 6. With that lost when puttin the beta on you just to find the one thing missing. Were you required to download and install anything or allow certain active content to run? prior to running IE 7?

No I didn't have to dowbnload anythign with IE6 back then to download anything, but like I said when I reinstalled Windows, that would have put the registry back to factory setting correct?

PC eye

banned
That's where the problem is apparently. When going from having certain active x or other small items like that enabled and running you could readily download what you were after. But when everything went back to the "defaults" seen in both the beta of IE 7 and IE 6 now the settings like "do not download attached files that could contain a virus" in Outlook Express could be stopping you there.