Hey everyone! My computer is not finding any signal, please help?

alexjb

Hi everyone! :)

I built a gaming computer almost 4 years ago with the help of nice people on this forum :) and wow that's gone pretty fast! but recently it's started playing up, basically what happened was that one day my computer would not turn on properly, the monitor basically had no signal but the computer was powered on as normal, so I turned it on and off a good few times and then it found signal and worked. Then I shut it down, then same thing happened again so basically I turned it on and off loads of times until signal popped up and happily went on my travels and enjoying my computer, this kept happening until I decided to just put the computer to sleep rather than shutting it down, and this plan worked very well for a few weeks until my dad decided to have the electrics moved in our house and my computer lost power due to a power cut, since then I have spent many hours turning it on and off in hope of finding signal but it's not finding anything! I've reinstalled the Windows 10 and also tried resetting the battery in the motherboard, Updated all the motherboard drivers, graphics drivers, everything I can think of! I've even tried using different HDMI cable and also tried it on my television to narrow out any monitor issues, but same problem no signal. My motherboard is a Z77A-G43 by MSI if that helps :)

So basically I've tried everything that I can think of, any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated! Really missing it as I skype my girlfriend alot! and my phone has a very low megapixel camera lol!

I've also tried using the onboard graphics and taken out my graphics card but still same problem, tried moving the RAM to different slots and using just one stick etc still nothing lol

Please can someone help me out ? :) thank you! :)

alexjb

ooh some extra info, sometimes the mouse light comes on and finds power but not all times?? keyboard never finds power, but speakers and webcam seem to be loving life as they constantly have a stable power connection which is just random if you ask me when my mouse seems to be trying its best to function and my monitor he's well he's basically retired now lol

alexjb

MSI Z77A-G43 Intel Z77 (Socket 1155)
PNY NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Graphics Card

120GB OCZ Agility 3 2.5" Solid State Drive

alexjb

Hey thanks :) I thought it was probably the graphics card too but I have tried completely removing the card and running it through the onboard graphics with same problems

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
A few things to try not in any particular order.

1. Try using a different power supply
2. Build the motherboard outside of the case on a piece of cardboard

Issue sounds like a short since you are having issues with usb as well. On the other hand, could just be a bad motherboard. They don't take too well to power surges or power outages.

alexjb

Probably a high chance of this

Do you get the normal post beeps ?
Thanks james, what sort of noises should it normally make? when it turns on it doesnt' seem to make any noises but the DVD drive makes a little small noise that sounds like a beep but cant really say its a beep if that makes sense :) thanks :)

alexjb

A few things to try not in any particular order.

1. Try using a different power supply
2. Build the motherboard outside of the case on a piece of cardboard

Issue sounds like a short since you are having issues with usb as well. On the other hand, could just be a bad motherboard. They don't take too well to power surges or power outages.
Thanks John :) I'm guessing I should buy a new power supply, but I don't really want to buy one and find out that its the motherboard that needs replacing, would there be a way to test this out? my brother does have a very similar pc to me but he doesn't want me to take the power supply out as we did all the cables really neat and tidy for him :)

alexjb

there we go just checked it makes two beeps, like a "doo doo" sort of noise

nevermind the beeps are the DVD drive

alexjb

I just checked again and unplugged the DVD drive, the computer itself does not make any noises whatsoever but it powers up and fans all turning including CPU fan :) ( I currently have pc open)

jamesd1981

The link I posted, do you have the small speaker shown in the article, should be in the same place as your case connections

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would start with building the motherboard outside of the case. Only have video card, mouse, keyboard attached and see what happens. Some motherboards don't have the speaker connection but yours does. Do you have the speaker attached?

alexjb

Oooh so maybe that speaker has come loose? I'll take a look now and let you guys know! sorry about the time, was getting some things sorted for the morning as travelling to newport :)