Hey everyone! My computer is not finding any signal, please help?

alexjb

i cant seem to find the speaker as my room is so dark I need a torch I think, is the speaker to the rear of the motherboard? or on the front facing up? thanks :)

Defintely no speaker on the rear of the motherboard, guessing it must be on the front somewhere, will have to have a better look

alexjb

ah I see it! thanks John! it's just an empty thing, with nothing attached to the header things, would there be a speaker in my motherboard box? it's in my loft at the moment in a cupboard somewhere safe - I'm guessing this speaker will let me know by beeping the faults if I find it to attach? :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No, it wouldn't have came with a speaker as they usually come packed with the case. Try building it outside of the case first before trying to find a speaker connector for it.

alexjb

No, it wouldn't have came with a speaker as they usually come packed with the case. Try building it outside of the case first before trying to find a speaker connector for it.
thanks John :) out of interest, what does the carboard do? does it prevent electric charge or does it stop it from shorting? thanks :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Cardboard just stops any static electricity from hitting the board. And in this way you can tell if anything is shorting out. If it still don't work then it's either bad motherboard or something else.

alexjb

Cardboard just stops any static electricity from hitting the board. And in this way you can tell if anything is shorting out. If it still don't work then it's either bad motherboard or something else.

Thanks John :) I have taken my computer downstairs and its currently on the kitchen table and I've unplugged all wiring, the graphics card and hard drives have been removed, so now I should take the motherboard out of the case and the power supply and place the motherboard onto some cardboard, I know it's a random question but how can you tell if the motherboard is working when its placed on cardboard? Should I attach the power supply to it while on the cardboard? Thanks john :)

alexjb

Also apologies for the late reply, I went shopping yesterday and for a meal with my girlfriend and didn't get home on the train until late last night :)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes essentially you are just building it outside of the case to verify there is no short. So power supply must be connected to motherboard to test.

alexjb

Yeah makes sense! thanks :) so basically I'll plug everything in and hope for the best, how would you find out if its giving signal again? would you have to build it right by monitor and plug it in?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
how would you find out if its giving signal again? would you have to build it right by monitor and plug it in?
Yes, You would plug in everything as usual just outside of the case. Still would have to use the case wires for the power button as well. All we want to do is verify the motherboard isn't shorting out against the case or possibly the I/O plate(sometimes this happens) on the back.