+12V = 20A
5V = 0.5A
-12V = 0.8A
+5VSB = 2.5A

Input 230VAC 10A 50 60Hz

Last edited:

Jet

VIP Member
I meant for the voltage readings. Even though the PSU isn't very strong, it should be sufficient.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Right, I'll check the BIOS, but there's no way to see if they're stable from there without me sitting there staring at it for a while...

zaroba

this may not be the most logical solution, plus it could take a while. but, you could goto a computer store or online site like pricewatch.com and pick up a cheap psu and swap it with your current one. then if the problems still happen, you'll know it wasn't the psu. if the reboots completly stop, then you know it was the psu.

either way, its always nice to have backups on hand.

zaroba

as long as it puts out enough watts, even a cheap one can last for a long while before burning out. except for the recently built pc thats in my sig, i've always bought cheap PSUs and never had a problem with them burning out from over use (typically run my PCs 24/7). of course, experiences often differ between people.

when the psu went out in in the HP we had long ago, the reboots started happening occasionally, like once every few hours. the next day, the pc would just shut off as if the power was cut. maybe 2 days later, the pc just wouldn't turn on. trying to turn on the pc would just result in a click noise coming from the psu and then nothing else. total time only took maybe 3 or 4 days. had an ethernet card, soundcard, video card, 2 hard drives, and a cd-rw in the pc at the time. the power supply that was in the pc was only 80 watts.

something that nobody asked yet...
when you say the pc is rebooting, do you mean it just completly shuts off as if the plug was pulled then starts booting?
or is it going threw the reboot procedure as if you hit Start->Shut Down and hit Restart pc?

if its doing the 2nd thing, its probably more of a software issue.

(yea yea, it may sound like a dumb question, but eliminating as much as you can always makes finding problems easier)

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
It restarts, Yeah, Just randomly... I'm hoping that a new MOBO and CPU and a clean install of XP will fix the problem...

liquidshadow

as long as it puts out enough watts, even a cheap one can last for a long while before burning out. except for the recently built pc thats in my sig, i've always bought cheap PSUs and never had a problem with them burning out from over use (typically run my PCs 24/7). of course, experiences often differ between people.

when the psu went out in in the HP we had long ago, the reboots started happening occasionally, like once every few hours. the next day, the pc would just shut off as if the power was cut. maybe 2 days later, the pc just wouldn't turn on. trying to turn on the pc would just result in a click noise coming from the psu and then nothing else. total time only took maybe 3 or 4 days. had an ethernet card, soundcard, video card, 2 hard drives, and a cd-rw in the pc at the time. the power supply that was in the pc was only 80 watts.

something that nobody asked yet...
when you say the pc is rebooting, do you mean it just completly shuts off as if the plug was pulled then starts booting?
or is it going threw the reboot procedure as if you hit Start->Shut Down and hit Restart pc?

if its doing the 2nd thing, its probably more of a software issue.

(yea yea, it may sound like a dumb question, but eliminating as much as you can always makes finding problems easier)

Cheap, as in how cheap? What brand and what model?
Because that Coolmax 650W isn't exactly the cheapest..

Kornowski

VIP Member
Well thats what I've been told, also, I'd like to get rid of random restarting as it's irritating! I'm also getting an E6300 so I want to be certain...

Archangel

VIP Member
here is what I would do.. if your PSU would be too weak for your pc, It would restart once the pc draws too much power from the PSU, right?

I mean.. an idle sysmte basicly uses very few power. (I booted up my dad's HP ps with a 6800GT in it,. and that PSU's only 235Watt. but since it was just on idle,.. it ran)
anyway.. try Prime95, and run the max heat stress test.
also, run 3dMark06,.. that should do a lot too (because then the grafic's card would consume about the most power.)
either way.. if you PSU's too weak,.. it should restart on running those programs.. (ofcourse i could be mistaken.. but this is what i get from it)

another way would be, mesure the voltage with an osciloscope.. ;)

Kornowski

VIP Member
I got Prime95 but I can't figure out what to do, I do the torture test but it doesn't do anything... I choose the blend option...