How do Motherboard makers compare?

I'm looking around for a mobo, and thought I had decided on an MSI board, but it seemed to have a high percentage of one egg ratings on Newegg, for being hard to install or arriving DOA. Are there any manufacturers that are considered better than others, in terms of reliability and durability, as well as ease of installation? any to avoid? thanks for any advice!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
i vote gigabyte, tho alot of people swear by asus, i just feel gigabyte has very very good build quality

+1

I actually like Gigabyte for motherboards. Sure ASUS is good, but I think Gigabyte has much better build quality and features. Their layouts for their boards is very good too.

CrayonMuncher

i personally am tied between asus and gigabyte, i have an asus in my p4 board and that has been running solid for over 5 years and i have a gigabyte in the 800 mhz duron comp i'm using atm and that has been solid for god knows how long.

I hear msi are also good, but i have never had any experience with them, but there website is'nt all that good often the english is incorrect and a found a few mobos listed with incomplete specs and even tho it had been identified in the msi forums what was incorrect they still hadn't bothered to put it right.

I like both motherboards that are mentioned above Asus and gigabyte are good! But if you have issues with gigabytes boards be prepared to get ur old board back and they are kind of slow with processing things too! It took me about 1 month b4 I got my board back! Though they did do a good job! I just wish it didn't take so long! I would also say you would be ok with an intel board, the downfall with intel is the cost, their processors especially are very expensive (depending on what you want to buy). But I have heard lots of good things from people who have built intel's and they seem to like them! So the choice is your's really! Also another thing you should take a look at is how easy it is to look around on their websites, say like drivers or getting other updates for your motherboard as each company is different! Also how much support you would get for your motherboard as well! Also you need to check out how many years they will warrant them for as some only do 1 year and others do 3 years!

Aastii

VIP Member
Asus, Gigabyte, MSI or ASRock I would stick with, there are some eVGA boards to consider, but mostly they are only your higher end ones, their low-mid range boards, recently at least, have lacked features that you would expect from eVGA, like great overclockability and features, their BIOS used on their more recent boards is terrible.

I would agree that Asus and Gigabyte are up there at the top, but I think it has become routine to say that, it certainly isn't a bad thing to have yourself an MSI or ASRock board, in fact a lot of ASRock boards have the same or better features than Asus or Gigabyte, yet cost less. They are a sub-branch of Asus, designed for the lower end of the market, however their latest AM3/1156/1366 boards are on parr with the mid range Asus board, the only reason to go more towards Asus than ASRock is for the very hgih end boards. If you are looking at a uATX build, don't rule out Zotac either, their uATX boards are second to none

I would steer clear of Biostar, ECS, Jetway and for the most part, Foxconn too, you are just looking for trouble thanks to low quality components and bad features/motherboard layouts

What mobo were you looking at? maybe we can help find a better one and offer some input

this was the board I had thought would be perfect, until I got scared by the high percentage of 1 egg ratings (32%, 8 out of 25).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130295

My requirements are AM3 socket, DDR3 1333, AMD chipset, on board ATI radeon video, 2600mhz FSB, and preferably 4 memory slots, but the last one is not absolute.

87dtna

I'm not a big fan of Asus or MSI.

My favorite is gigabyte, second favorite being ASRock (even though they are a subsidary of Asus, I've had excellent luck with them and like their Bios layouts way more than most Asus boards)

87dtna

Well, I've always had GREAT tech support from ASRock, crap from Asus. I've had insanely fast RMA's from ASRock, Gigabyte is good too but much slower, and I WAY prefer ASRock's Bios layouts compared to Asus boards.

Aastii

VIP Member
Well, I've always had GREAT tech support from ASRock, crap from Asus. I've had insanely fast RMA's from ASRock, Gigabyte is good too but much slower, and I WAY prefer ASRock's Bios layouts compared to Asus boards.

I'm sort of agreeing with you right now with the support part of that. I know it isn't motherboard manufacturers, but in the last 3 years I've used Corsair's RMA service twice, OCZ's once and Asus' once. Both Corsair and OCZ, I had memory sent off, and brand new on my door step 2 weeks later. Right now with Asus, 5 weeks tomorrow, and they still have my motherboard. I'm happy with the board, but their support doesn't seem all that great, at least not this time round.

87dtna

Uhh, he didn't even say if he was running intel or AMD, just wanted to know about brands of motherboards.

I wouldn't go microATX either unless you had to.

And if you want to get down to it, the best bang for the buck AMD motherboard hands down beyond a shadow of a doubt goes to ASRock-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157198

8x/8x Xfire on 870/SB850 chipsets, USB 3.0 and sata 6 gb/s all for $90 shipped is amazing.

Last edited:

CrayonMuncher

he did say that it was amd.

i asked what mobo and the he linked me the msi board above and then linked to another board which is also am3.

I also don't like m-ATX but i am assuming thats what the op is after since both mobos linked are that form factor.

I agree that asrock offers great bang for buck but i have not used them and i cant recommend them for reliability purposes without having used them first.

Sometimes i feel the value is just too good with asrock, which makes me want to try one before i make my mind up on the brand.

Last edited:

87dtna

Oh crap, my apologies I completely missed those last 2 posts by the OP on the first page.

Well he doesn't state that he needs mATX, but he said he wanted onboard video so I'd go with this board-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157191

But if he does want micro, go with the gigabyte you linked too.

I've owned ~5 asrock boards and liked them all, and their warranty service is outstanding. I had one with physical damage I accidently did (cut a trace in the back trying to install the backplate to a heatsink), I sent it in for RMA anyway, they said there was damage but if I sent them $35 they'd send me a new board. I did, and received the new one extremely fast!

Last edited:
this will be a MicroATX build, I'm using my old emachines T5212 case for the project. The processor will be an Athlon II Propus 640 Quad-core, which is on the way. I have also already ordered a Samsung Spinpoint F3 SATA 3 gb/s hard drive and a Corsair 650W PS. I'm about to order some memory sometime today (leaning towards Ripjaws 2X4GB DDR3 1333, but looking at other brands like Corsair also). So, figuring out a board is the last real obstacle before I can start getting this together.

can I get comments on these 2 boards? one is an ASRock, the other an Asus.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157192

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131654

one minor plus on the Asus is that it has a PATA connector, so I could add my Seagate 200gb 7200.9 HD I have laying around. but that's not really an issue if the ASRock board is better.