How do Motherboard makers compare?

that Gigabyte board looks like it fulfills all my needs, BUT compared to the ASRock, it has an 880G Northbridge compared to an 890GX on the ASRock, and an SB710 southbridge compared to the ASRock's SB850 (SATA2 vs. SATA3??). And the Gigabyte has a Radeon 4250 video chipset compared to the ASRock's Radeon 4290, and the gigabyte has a Realtec ALC892 compared to the ASRocks VIA VT2020 audio chipset. Are those important differences?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Are you going to be using the onboard video. If not you could probable get a better 870 board without onboard.

Asrock definitely has the most current ( that I know of) onboard graphics. The audio looks like the most current too! So I would go with the Asrock, bc I know for a fact that if you get the older onboard graphics card, then you will have problems with videos, such as when you go full screen to watch a movie or video, it will shut down. The newer one will not bc that is what I have right now and it is a 23" widescreen moniter! I have no problems like that mentioned above! So if that is important then I would go with the latest video card you can get (onboard). If you listen to alot of music then the lastest onboard sound card is what you want too! Don't get caught up with brand names so much! Most are pretty good! (but you will always have better ones then the others) Also here is a good ?, which should've probably been asked a long time ago: but what are you planning on doing with this computer as a whole? Is backward compatiabilty important to you? Do you game? Do you make video's? or Do you make or do any thing on the music side of things? I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea! So I think you need to take these things into consideration as well!
Also I want to know, why are you willing to keep the case? Is that the only thing that you are going to use out of the old Micro application (such as parts)? The reason I ask is that u can buy a case for like $20.00 or less, the last time I checked! I just bought for about that much, but it didn't have case fans. You could use any existing case fans that you already have, plus then you could upgrade to an ATX which is much more common! Plus if you have any difficulties or forget to order something from newegg, you can run down to ur local computer store and buy what you need! Just a thought!

Also here is a good ?, which should've probably been asked a long time ago: but what are you planning on doing with this computer as a whole? Is backward compatiabilty important to you? Do you game? Do you make video's? or Do you make or do any thing on the music side of things?

it will be used for power officing - lots of open firefox and internet explorer windows, I need something that can switch between windows and load web pages and picture thumbs without delay. I just got a new camera and it takes at least 5-10 seconds for my current computer to load a folder of thumbs where I can see them.

Also I want to know, why are you willing to keep the case? Is that the only thing that you are going to use out of the old Micro application (such as parts)? The reason I ask is that u can buy a case for like $20.00 or less, the last time I checked! I just bought for about that much, but it didn't have case fans. You could use any existing case fans that you already have, plus then you could upgrade to an ATX which is much more common!

I just like my old case, it was my favorite computer. I may look around and see what's available, if I can get an ATX board that's better than the ASRock microATX I was looking at, I may get another case.