How do you apply Thermal paste to a Direct Heat Pipe design cooler?

Discussion in 'Computer Cases, Power Supplies and Cooling' started by Computer_Freak, Dec 19, 2009.

1. 87dtna

87dtna Active Member

Is that load temp? What are you using to load the CPU?

Also, what Vcore are you running? Your CPU doesn't put off a whole ton a heat to begin with. Do you know stock HSF temps at the settings you are using now to compare?

2. linkin

linkin VIP Member

I used the rice grain/pea method. no spreading, apart from when i screwed in the cooler. 22c idle temp on both cores. nice and even.

not only is this method convenient, it works well if done properly (not a whole tube of paste ;) but a small amount)

3. The Chad

The Chad New Member

Computer Freak? Your from SA?? Damn me too! I though I was the only one from south africa on here!

BTW, you can get AS5 from Sybaritic for R120. It's not that bad, you'll get a few applications from it.

4. Computer_Freak

Computer_Freak Active Member

my load is 50 degrees (prime 95 stress test) and 46 degrees during games (Crysis, CoD4)

stock cooler was about 10 - 15 degrees more. I changed the cooler around August (winter here)) and my temps dropped 11 degrees

so its around there. and the paste hadnt set in at that time

My bro is running a stock cooler (same CPU) with a 120mm fan blowing directly on his CPU and he is getting 46 degrees. (i just compared, im getting 35, he is getting 45, right this instant)

I have no space for a side fan, as my cooler it too tall. I wish i did though, but that just means more dust...

Chad, yeah i am from SA

See, I prefer to not order online. Dont like giving my dads credit card number online... Especially for such a small item, and pay R50 on top for postage...

I would rather go to Corex (they supply the stores here) and get a few things (they have an Antec Paste, which is made by AS, its actually the same as AS5, just costs R20 less)

and while im there, i can buy my next build...

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  5. 87dtna

87dtna Active Member

Cool, sounds like your cooling is covered now.

6. Bodaggit23

Bodaggit23 New Member

7. Computer_Freak

Computer_Freak Active Member

I did what the last picture showed.

But i didnt fill the gaps between the pipe and block

I just put a little more than needed on each heatpipe (not on the block like how they did it) and i think it filled out perfectly

My temps are very good, computer is stable

Running 2.81GHz OC from 2.13GHz

Im gonna push it to 2.9GHz (I cant hit 3 without raising the voltage...)