How do you do it?

wolfeking

banned
Having money left over would kind of help with those random bills that appear out of nowhere, don't you think?

you don't seem to understand. There have been a few bills that there are no way that I owe. They can't take what I don't have while I fight them to find out what they claim I owe them for.

Otherwise, money is just a piece of sadness in your pocket.

computers and money

you don't seem to understand. There have been a few bills that there are no way that I owe. They can't take what I don't have while I fight them to find out what they claim I owe them for.

I regret bringing up the topic of money in the forum. This is supposed to be about computers. Excuse me!

SuperDuperMe

You know what im going to throw this out there. You are really depressing. You never see any good in everything :/ In fact every thread youve commented in you always talk negatively.

You need to remember that there are people much worse off than any of us on here.

Me, i personally think money helps with happiness. There is no way on this earth that you can say you would prefer to be in a third world country starving than having a few bills you dont know where they have come from.

Everyone on this forum shouldnt have anything to moan about. We all have internet or access to, we all have computers or access to. Hell some of us are 6 digit figures.

Just to put my situation to you, i have been jobless for 8 month and have only just got a job which is a shitty apprenticeship that pays £400 a month. Not because im lazy, or because im uneducated but because the job market is shit. I do however get more money than when i was on benfits and i can safely say that me and my partner (she got a job around same time i did) are a lot more happier now we have even just a bit more money to our names. Now im not talking thousands extra, im talking 20 pounds a week better off. And that has helped us be happier.

As for being on topic i get my parts by swapping, selling anything i own. Started with guitars from my childhood and the money i earned from them has gone into my computer and then i have sold odd bits and bobs to upgrade it. Only putting minimal amounts of money to what i have.

strollin

Owning a computer is much more affordable now than it was in the past. In the earlier years, a computer generally set you back around $2,500 or more, a lot of money for a hobby. For a long time that price was constant except that, as technology moved forward, you got a more powerful computer for your money. Eventually, as competition became more intense, the price inched downward. I remember what a huge deal it was when the cost of a new computer broke the $1,000 barrier.

I built my first computer in 1985. I went to a "Computer Show" where there were many vendors selling components. I bought all the components at the show to build a clone of an IBM XT. I don't recall the exact total that I spent that day, but it was around $1,500. I do remember that I paid $500 for a 20M Seagate ST-225 hard drive. The XT clone I built was actually better then the IBM XT since it ran at 8Mhz vs 4.77Mhz and had a 20M hdd where the IBM only came with a 10M hdd. The cost to buy the IBM XT was around $4,000 but I built my XT clone for less than 30% of that.

The point I am trying to get to is that the cost difference between a pre-built and a self-built computer is much smaller today than it was in the past. The main impetus for building a computer today isn't so much that it's much less expensive. It's more for other factors, such as the ability to customize it the way you want, choose the components you want and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. You may be able to build a computer for a little less but not for substantially less as in the past.

Last edited:

Turbo10

Owning a computer is much more affordable now than it was in the past. In the earlier years, a computer generally set you back around $2,500 or more, a lot of money for a hobby. For a long time that price was constant except that, as technology moved forward, you got a more powerful computer for your money. Eventually, as competition became more intense, the price inched downward. I remember what a huge deal it was when the cost of a new computer broke the $1,000 barrier.

I built my first computer in 1985. I went to a "Computer Show" where there were many vendors selling components. I bought all the components at the show to build a clone of an IBM XT. I don't recall the exact total that I spent that day, but it was around $1,500. I do remember that I paid $500 for a 20M Seagate ST-225 hard drive. The XT clone I built was actually better then the IBM XT since it ran at 8Mhz vs 4.77Mhz and had a 20M hdd where the IBM only came with a 10M hdd. The cost to buy the IBM XT was around $4,000 but I built my XT clone for less than 30% of that.

The point I am trying to get to is that the cost difference between a pre-built and a self-built computer is much smaller today than it was in the past. The main impetus for building a computer today isn't so much that it's much less expensive. It's more for other factors, such as the ability to customize it the way you want, choose the components you want and the satisfaction of doing it yourself. You may be able to build a computer for a little less but not for substantially less as in the past.

Completely agree with that, our old Windows 95 Desktop was £1000, and my mums old Toshiba laptop was £1000 too. You can build a pretty powerful pc for about 400 quid nowdays