How do you wipe a hard drive clean...

fmonte

and uninstall windows. I don't care about anything on the drive. I just want to completely wipe it clean. I am a novice so please give as much detail as possible. Thank you. Frank

fmonte

Thanks Brian. I did that, I even changed the boot order so that the dvd/cd would boot first but the system goes right to the desktop. I was expecting some kind of blue screen for windows set up. Can you walk me thru what I would from the desktop. Thanks again.

brian

VIP Member
sure,

So as you did you go into the bios and set the dvd to boot
Then you put the cd into the drive and reboot the system.
There should be a screen that says press any key to boot to the cd.
Press any key.
It should lead you to a blueish screen and may take a min or two to load the drivers
then select install windows NOT repair windows.
It will go to the hard drive, delete your hard drive partition by d then l and hit enter on the unpartitioned space
Hit format quick ntfs
and it will install

konzerte

which version of win you want to install??? remember that old versions of windows don't come in boot cds

fmonte

It is a regular windows xp pro install disk(not a restore disk). I know the disk works because yesterday I got the computer from a ebay store and they sold it to me and it was listed as a machine with no os installed. Yesterday I put the disk in and had no trouble loading the os. I got the blue screen and it went without a hitch. But then I noticed that my c drive was an H drive. Come to find out the media readers caused this to happen. I know how to solve this problem next time around so my only question is:

How do I get that hd back to the way it was yesterday so that when I put the disk in, I will get the blue screen and will be able to proceed. The way it is now it boots to the desktop even though I get a black screen for a split second that says that I am booting from a dvd/cd rom(I adjusted the bios). The blue screen never appears.

konzerte

How do I get that hd back to the way it was yesterday so that when I put the disk in, I will get the blue screen and will be able to proceed. The way it is now it boots to the desktop even though I get a black screen for a split second that says that I am booting from a dvd/cd rom(I adjusted the bios). The blue screen never appears.

well if you can't boot from the cd, the content of the hard disk is not the problem..
did you save the bios settings?? set the cd drive as the ONLY boot device, also check "boot other devices"... try with another boot cd (a linux live cd, for example) to see if it boots and discard any cd problem

konzerte

why don't you exorcize your cd drive? :D

you hit the "any key", right??? :confused:

you should try with another boot cd, just to check....

fmonte

Okay, another noob. We must drive you guys crazy. Now if you would be so kind. I am in the blue screen and I don't want to screw this up again. Can you tell me what to do next. See picture screen below. By the way I did not unplug the media readers.

View attachment 2259

Last edited:

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Assuming you want to install it on C:\ (which I hope you do as it's the only one there :p) highlight Partition1 and press enter.

hpi

banned
Okay, another noob. We must drive you guys crazy. Now if you would be so kind. I am in the blue screen and I don't want to screw this up again. Can you tell me what to do next. See picture screen below. By the way I did not unplug the media readers.

View attachment 2259

Do you wanna reformat and wipe everything completely ?

If so go to where you are now above on C: and click enter and just follow instructions on there.

No No noobs don't piss us off, that's what where here for to help out newcomers or someone with a problem. Your not being an arragent noob your asking nicely and inquiring for help thus your gonna get it. Remember everyone of us on here was once a noob. I know a lot of stuff but I still ask a lot of questions on here to keep learning.

:)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
The Windows drive is now labled "C:", so you no longer need to unplug the media reader.

fmonte

Thanks to everyone. It is loading now. One final question. When it is all done, do I have to go into the bios and hit the return to "default settings" button for the boot order since I disabled everything to boot from the CD in order to do this install? If you could walk me through the steps, it would be greatly appreciated.