How do you wipe a hard drive clean...

fmonte

Your not going to believe it but after completion I got anxious and booted up. I got the blue screen wanting to setup windows again. Can I hit F3 and quit setup without screwing anything up? Thank you. Frank

fmonte

Okay, I did what you said and when it rebooted after F3, I got a black screen saying disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter. So I just sit hear until you reply. Thank you.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Did you finish the Windows installation? If not, start over.

Last edited:

fmonte

Yes, it finished and then I shut it down and started it back up and this is when I got the black screen. It said if you want to start from the cd hit any key and stupid me I hit the key, now I am stuck on that black screen asking me to insert a disk(i took it out as instructed).

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, it finished and then I shut it down and started it back up and this is when I got the black screen. It said if you want to start from the cd hit any key and stupid me I hit the key, now I am stuck on that black screen asking me to insert a disk(i took it out as instructed).

Enter the BIOS and make sure you have the correct hard drive set to boot first. This is not the screen you entered before.

It should look similar to this:

DSC02794.jpg

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
After you go through the blue screens copying data and what not from the windows disk it will reboot and do more stuff before windows has finished installing. Be sure that your hard drive is in the boot order after the CD ROM drive.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
After you go through the blue screens copying data and what not from the windows disk it will reboot and do more stuff before windows has finished installing.

Exactly. If all else fails, you may need to install again. If you do, DO NOT "press any key" after you begin the installation. During the installation, Windows will restart. Again, do not "press any key" after the restart.

fmonte

Thanks, that did the trick. I guess I am up and running, just have to find some missing drivers. Can I ask an unrelated question. Why is it that I have 1 gb of ram but when I looked at the system properties general page it says 768 mb. Also when I look at my c drive properties it says that I have 298 gig hd yet the box says 320? Thanks once again and have a good night.

hpi

banned
Thanks, that did the trick. I guess I am up and running, just have to find some missing drivers. Can I ask an unrelated question. Why is it that I have 1 gb of ram but when I looked at the system properties general page it says 768 mb. Also when I look at my c drive properties it says that I have 298 gig hd yet the box says 320? Thanks once again and have a good night.

Not sure about the ram and this is just a guess for the hd but it can be that's how much free space you have and the rest is taken up by the os.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
You probably have only 768MB of RAM. Download and run CPU-Z. Click on the memory tab. That will tell you how much RAM is installed in the PC.

You never get the advertised amount of storage space on a hard drive. 298GB sounds about right, IMO.

fmonte

To: RNS, I wish I had known. Let me ask you if you think I need to do the wipe at this stage:

1. I got the computer yesterday from an ebay dealer who sells Acers with no operating system installed.
2. Yesterday I installed xp with my own installation disk but because this machine has a bunch of media readers it made my c drive an h drive.
3. I did not want the h drive so today I just did the same thing again but I made sure it said c drive on the partition. I am all finished and it seems to be working okay but if you think I should, i will do it a third time. I certainly would like to give my machine the best possible chance of good performance.

Thank you.
Frank

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
No. You do not need to wipe the drive. His post was kinda irrelevant to the topic. I'm guessing the HD never had any data; therefore, an advanced wipe would be unnecessary.

Get those XP drivers! :D

Last edited:

fmonte

Thanks MEP, I wasn't looking forward to doing it a 3rd time. If I have trouble finding the xp drivers because this was manufactured as a Vista machine, do you think the forum can help me?

hpi

banned
Thanks MEP, I wasn't looking forward to doing it a 3rd time. If I have trouble finding the xp drivers because this was manufactured as a Vista machine, do you think the forum can help me?

No it wasn't manifactured as a vista system.

Vista is just the OS, it's simple you take out vista,r eformat and install xp.

Youve got xp and you should have all the drivers, and click windows update and update your pc.

Only thing that might need drivers are your videocard and sound card maybe the mobo but you can just type in the name of your hardware into google and you can find drievrs for it.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
No it wasn't manifactured as a vista system.

Vista is just the OS, it's simple you take out vista,r eformat and install xp.

It's not always that simple. You need specific driver versions for each operating system. The computer hardware is, in fact, designed for Vista.

Click here to find the list of drivers available for your computer. The only drivers listed are those for Vista.

fmonte

So does that mean I am sol. I am not sure what to do next. I went to the device manager and here is where the yellow question marks are:

?Ethernet controller
?PCI Device
?PCI Modem
?SM Bus Controller
?Video Comtroller(vga compatible)

Does this mean that these are the only five things I need to fix?

Thank you.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
So does that mean I am sol. I am not sure what to do next. I went to the device manager and here is where the yellow question marks are:

?Ethernet controller
?PCI Device
?PCI Modem
?SM Bus Controller
?Video Comtroller(vga compatible)

Does this mean that these are the only five things I need to fix?

Thank you.

In the other thread you started, I provided a link to your computer's support page. You should contact Acer and see if they can provide you w/ XP drivers for the devices above.

fmonte

Thanks MEP, I called them before I asked on the forum and they told me they will not support me if I am doing anything with xp. In addition, installing xp voids any remaining warranty. That's okay, I really want xp. I know it's outside of this thread at this point but I was hoping that you could help me still. I don't know what the 5 items are exactly that have the ?(see above) but if that is all that I have to fix, could you please tell me what driver goes with what. Being a noob, I am having trouble making them match. Here is the list I pulled off of Acer for my model: Acer Aspire T180:

Aspire T180
Acer eDataSecurity Management
Windows Vista
Acer eDataSecurity Management.zip
Acer eMode Management
Windows Vista
Acer eMode Management.zip
Acer Empowering Technology for Windows Vista
Windows Vista
Acer Empowering Technology.zip
Acer ePerformance Management for Windows Vista
Windows Vista