How easy/hard is it to build a PC?

JohnJSal

Does this sound like a great case?

Sounds like it could pose problems for a novice. But it seems like a really great case for a gaming PC, once you've got it all put together. Are there other good alternatives like this one?

I have to disagree with most people here. I just watched my cousin put together a PC and I now think he is a genius. I have some basic knowledge, but I could not do what he did, unless I studied and worked at it for a long time.

tlarkin

VIP Member
The first time you do anything it is the hardest, that is true with everything in life. However, building a PC is very easy once you do it at least once. If it took a genius to do it, then every gamer, IT worker, or hobbyist would be considered a genius.

Its easy, its just assembling parts in a box is all it is. OS installations can be a bit tricky at times I suppose.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Luckily, OS installations are 80% automatic :) Just know how to make patitions and reformat and you're good.

OMEGA has the Antec 900 guide. Perfect for you if you choose it :)

JohnJSal

OS installations can be a bit tricky at times I suppose.

Heh, fortunately I've reinstalled Windows several times, so I guess the hard part is behind me. :)

Unless, of course, installing it for the first time is a different process than *re*installing it on an existing system....

jwhert

i built me a computer just last week, first time for me, decided to do it when my laptop broke

it was easier in some parts and harder in some spots, but the things i seemed to have trouble w/ my roomate would walk over and be like hey this looks right, and he knows nothing about computers, between both of us it took about 5 hrs w/ breaks in between and it started right up first try

tlarkin

VIP Member
Just wait till EFI is standard in all hardware. It will be even easier. No more drivers, true plug n play, and everything you need will be on the on board flash memory with 32 and 64 bit robust firmware driven applications. Things like boot sectors will no longer exist, HDs will purely store data.

It is about to get easier as the hardware itself becomes more complex.

Bronson7

Building is fairly easy. The big part is "compatibility". You have to know what will work with what. Like another poster said, it starts with the motherboard. Another thing to be mindful of is ESD (electro static discharge) and how to deal (or not to deal) with it. The actual act of building it is simple but it's going to require a bit of research to do it. You've come to the right place. These good folks will guide you along.
Bronson7

oscaryu1

VIP Member
Another thing to be mindful of is ESD (electro static discharge) and how to deal (or not to deal) with it

I have never discharged myself in any case. And 25 computers still zoom by me.

Just touch the PSU before handling components to be on the safe side.