How fast will my new PC run newer games?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
yes the card has PS3.0 but no games currently even take advantage of this so going with the x800 is certainly not a bad choice
1. It doesnt have Pixel Shadel 3.0
2. I initially though the same. Play FarCry 1.2 -- there is a difference and a DAMN noticeable one at that

as not always newer is better, like in case of Intel Prescott.
And in the case of the X600 and X300 ... dissapointing cards .. extremely so.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
The only comment I was making is that the 6800 is in a much stronger position with respect to lifetime because of support for Pixel Shader 3.0 -- i was very shocked that ATi did not "step up" and offer support for Pixel Shader 3.0 (i was also equally shocked by the garbage ... DISMAL performance and specs of the X300 and X600 compared to current cards but that's a different story altogether)

SpetsnaZ

Oh and Praetor....I can't remember where but I think it's on TOM'S HARDWARE .com that I read an article saying ATI has a graphics card "in working status but needs adjusting"....once its ready, it will drown NVIDIA....but like I said, I don't remember where I saw the article so you can tell me to shut up !!!!!! :(

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
On the same token as your benchmarks: http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/far_cry_sm30/page3.asp So much for benchmarks eh? heehee.

I read an article saying ATI has a graphics card "in working status but needs adjusting"....once its ready, it will drown NVIDIA....but like I said, I don't remember where I saw the article so you can tell me to shut up !!!!!!
Nah... as long as people are open minded and stuff then we can all have meaningful debates and stuff :)

SpetsnaZ

Funny how the are differences, but the PCs are set up with diff specs.....but thx for the hot link HARDCOREGAMERS is a nice site. I set it up in my FAVORITES

Praetor, where the hell you learn all that computer whiz stuff?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Funny how the are differences, but the PCs are set up with diff specs
Which is why benchmarks should only be an indication of the general approximate performance of a product... if you note some of the values... ATi will beat nVidia (or vice versa) by a piddly 3fps -- that means jack shit all and realistically, on another day it could easily swing the other way. Now if there's a 15fps difference... thats something meaningful :)

Praetor, where the hell you learn all that computer whiz stuff?
From 1 article of PCMag back in December 1991 (or was it January 1992) ... and then two books, 1500 pages apiece :) The rest is hands on

SpetsnaZ

First, I want to learn how to build my own PC and what the different components actually do......then I'm gonna head into Linux. I know about as much of LINUX as I do "The Quantum Physics of Black Holes" by what's his name in the Wheelchair? (no disrespect intended cuz He is the smartest guy around). Where u suggest I go to learn LINUX on the net?

SpetsnaZ

Thanx Ian......he just rewrote his theory on the Black holes....apparently, they are not a dead end but in fact full of life. Just felt like lettin out