How is my Build so far?

2048Megabytes

The FX-6100 will do 3.9 under default turbo. The FX-6100 will overclock alot higher then 3.9ghz. But you are right about the wattage, but the 6100 doesnt use anywhere near the wattage the X8 does.

Wouldn't it be better to go with the AMD FX-4100 Zambezi Processor then? One could overclock it higher with less Watt consumption and heat. Does the FX-4100 processor easily overclock to 4.4 gigahertz?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Wouldn't it be better to go with the AMD FX-4100 Zambezi Processor then? One could overclock it higher with less Watt consumption and heat. Does the FX-4100 processor easily overclock to 4.4 gigahertz?

Depends on where you coming from and what you want to spend. He was looking at a 8120. Then you said you would get a Phenom II 956, then I said I would rather have a 6100/8120 then a Phenom II (which I meant a Phenom II X4).

The 4100 is kinda of a odd ball. With just 2 full cores or I guess what you could call 4 80% 4 cores. Dont know where to really place it.

This is the way I think about it. When you compare price/performance/overclockability.

Phenom II X4- I would take a FX-6100/8120
Phenom II X6- I would take a 6100/8120 unless I got a really good deal on a X6 1090.
Athlon II X4- I guess the FX-4100, because its unlocked and clocks alot better.
The FX-8150 is just priced to high.

But since AMD has stopped making the Phenom II/Athlon II, most of them has done sold out at newegg. Pretty soon all there will be is the FX.

2048Megabytes

Hopefully AMD releases their next line of processors soon and it is an upgrade from the Phenom II series and not a step below them. I think I am good for a few more years for a processor upgrade. My Phenom II is great.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Hopefully AMD releases their next line of processors soon and it is an upgrade from the Phenom II series and not a step below them. I think I am good for a few more years for a processor upgrade. My Phenom II is great.

Yeah, I am disappointed, but not as angry as I was when they were first released. If they havent had hyped them as much as they did before the release. It would not had been so bad. I believe it was probably 20% AMD fault and 80% Global foundries. I dont think the Fab gave AMD the wattage and clock speed AMD thought it was capable of. Then it was too late to back out.

AMD wanted 200/300mhz higher default clock speed and lower wattage. It just wasnt there and AMD was just stuck. The next B3 stepping will be better, but not still where they wanted it. The Piledriver will probably be what they wanted with Zambezi/Bulldozer. Same thing happed with the first Phenom, where Phenom I should have performed like the Phenom II. But that one was 100% AMD fault. They knew what the design was and what it could do from the start. The first Phenom was nothing but the first monolithic quad, nothing more, nothing less. The cores were just Athlon 64 Brisbane cores with L3 cache.

This time they got screwed by the Fab, they just could not get the wattage and yield rate to where AMD thought it was capable of. So AMD ended up with a few 100mhz. lower default speed and higher wattage. If that havent had happen there would have been no fall out and they would have worked on the IPC on Pliedriver.