How many CPU cores for gaming?

lion149

I am not to surprised by the results. I still shows the overall importance of clock speed. Some of the applications have advantages with more 3+ cores which is nice to see too.

linkin

VIP Member
This is why multithreading is needed! we are in the realm of 6 core cpu's and not getting the advantage!

tlarkin

VIP Member
Developers need to code support in, or they need to license an existing engine that does so when they develop games. Now that every computer you buy is pretty much multi core it will shift over to multiple core support.

Twist86

I love how they didn't add games like GTA4 / Supreme Commander / Lost Planet games that imo would add legitimate results as they are some what coded for quad-cores. Crappy review imo of course a quad wont do better in a dual-core game.

fastdude

It really depends on what you "need" for "gaming"
i.e. You don't need an i7 to play crysis, but it helps.
i.e. "gaming" could mean anything, from Minesweeper to CoD to Crysis :p

tlarkin

VIP Member
I ran both Crysis games at max settings and there were only a few parts it really lagged on. Overall, the game was kind of lame, and the story line was shoddy at best. I think you sacrificed game play for graphics in that game.

However, have no doubt that multiple cores are the future and developers will eventually take advantage of them in every thing they code.

Nightrain

To those complaining about not including GTA4, SupCom, etc, they mentioned that they didn't use games that were already commonly known for having an advantage with 4 cores, games that obviously did better with quad/6 cores. They wanted to use games that they had deemed as being commonly played, popular, and new-ish.

Bindibadgi (Bit employee)

It's not worth testing something because it uses all the cores. It's worth doing if PEOPLE PLAY IT! ;) GTA 4 was narrowly missed off the list though I admit. I did want more games but we can't do everything. Crysis is the ONLY exception because it's still our most clicked page. Like I said, we didn't even bother with Sup Com since we wanted to know about popular, new games.

mihir

VIP Member
What do you think about the 6 cores by AMD.
If GTA IV gets optimized for the hex cores would it be better than the the i7 920/930a performance

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
What do you think about the 6 cores by AMD.
If GTA IV gets optimized for the hex cores would it be better than the the i7 920/930a performance

I think the 6 core AMD is great for the price,as for GTA IV getting optimised for hex core,i highly doubt that will happen,They still have not implemented SLI support properly yet as the game still runs crap and doesnt realy show any FPS improvement with SLI enabled,some people actualy said it decreased performance and the game has been out since 2008. :D

So nope i dont think they will :D

Last edited:

Aastii

VIP Member
It would seem 2 games so far have been thrown up for it being "necessary" to have a quad core CPU. Because there are so few at the minute, I can't see how you can justify getting a quad or hex core CPU. As was illustrated, the vast majority of popular games don't need a quad, so why spend the extra for it if just for gaming?

I would still rather have a quad though, better for the future and better for multitasking outside of games

=EDIT=

I also just thought, I know for a fact that WoW benefits from quad core processors, as I have seen fps increase with quad over tri over dual core processors, and that is a very VERY popular game :p

Last edited: