How many CPU cores for gaming?

tlarkin

VIP Member
They will still make it so you can max it on a quad. They don't make it so the game needs the bleeding edge of technology straight away. Dual core/Quad cores have been out for 5 years now near enough, and dual core is still ok for gaming, not great, but alright, and the first consumer quads will still handle any game you want them to right now, so I don't think you will see tri or quads disapearing or becoming obselete any time soon

yeah but what I am saying is the gaming industry always creates games for the most average computer, not cutting edge, because they want to reach the widest audience. They then add in features/settings that can take advantage of higher end hardware. Now that multicore processors are the standard, and have been for a while you will see a shift in the minimum requirements for lots of games.

Will they require multi core? Mmm, hard to say, will it be near required or highly recommended, I am sure it will be.

linkin

VIP Member
Plus, coding things for more cores is porbably harder, takes more time, and costs more money. but it's becoming a standard.

Aastii

VIP Member
yeah but what I am saying is the gaming industry always creates games for the most average computer, not cutting edge, because they want to reach the widest audience. They then add in features/settings that can take advantage of higher end hardware. Now that multicore processors are the standard, and have been for a while you will see a shift in the minimum requirements for lots of games.

Will they require multi core? Mmm, hard to say, will it be near required or highly recommended, I am sure it will be.

I am sure most games that come out after the next 6 months at the very very least will need you to have a dual core CPU. I am the only gamer in my home, yet we have 4 computers. Mine is set up for gaming, the others are for web browsing, work, music etc. Basically your average, non-gamer user. 1 was bought 6 years ago and has a single core. The other 2, one was bought 9 months ago and came with a dual core CPU, the other was bought ~18 months ago, and came with dual core. They aren't gaming machines, they are just standard use machines.

I understand that is only because the companies that make these pre-built systems know that their users will most likely be doing several things at once, and probably not very efficiently either, but it is the standard right now to have atleast a dual core processor. Games companies are obviously utilising that because of the article in the first post, but the gamer generally has a system that is a cut above the rest because they need the extra power, so a tri or quad core is more of a standard for them.

I still think it will be atleast a couple of years before hex or greater core CPUs are properly utilised though

Mez

For now, but what happens in 6 months from now, or 1 year from now? When all the developers use engines that are aware of multiple cores? Then what happens?

I don't think multi core support is really far off to be honest. I think it is right around the corner actually for most games.

yes, but by the time games REALLY start taking advantage of Quad+ cores, I can easily upgrade to a x4 or x6

Okedokey

it used to be that hardware was ahead of coding, however that has changed. Although there are multi-core processes, the complexity of mult-threading applications and games is becoming an issue. Cores aside, its a while before the majority of games will be multithreaded.