• Hard Disk Drives

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Solid State Drives

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • HDD and SSD

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

The VCR King

Simple question. How much data can you hold?
Me:
HDD/SSDs:
HDD 1: 1TB WD Caviar Black (OS/Files)
SSD 1: 120GB OCZ Vertex3 (Steam game storage)
HDD 2: 120GB Fujitsu laptop drive in a SATA dock (not being used for anything)
HDD 3: 250GB Seagate Momentus laptop drive in a SATA dock (used for Steam backups)

Optical drives:
Samsung BD-ROM drive
USB 2.0 (E-IDE) Memorex 310L v1 CD-RW drive

Network drives:
500GB Toshiba Canvio USB 3.0 (connected through router with Netgear ReadySHARE

I also have a memory card reader but it doesn't really count as "storage."

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
To answer your poll question, I prefer SSD's, but not for primary storage. The cost per GB is still far too high for that.

I have a total of about 6.5TB of storage available to me.

Main Desktop Storage
180GB Intel 530 SSD
2x WD Caviar Blue 1TB (Primary and Secondary storage)
1x WD Caviar Green (Photography & Backups) <-----Needs to be replaced with a 2TB drive soon, as it is almost full, then it will be the Misc. Storage drive
1x WD Caviar Black 500GB (Misc Storage)

External
1x WD Caviar Blue 1TB (Photography Backups - eSATA)
1x WD Caviar Green 1TB (Movies - eSATA)
1x Seagate 750GB (External Storage - eSATA)

beers

Staff member
Binary or decimal?

Fileserver : 7x 1 TB RAID5 (~5587.94 GiB usable)
SSDs in various systems: 480+250+240+128+120+120+64+50 (~1352.28 GiB)

So about 7 tebibytes.

Geoff

VIP Member
I prefer SSDs for the boot drive and applications, and mechanical drives for storage.

I have a total of 23TB for storage.

ninjabubbles3

Dang guys, I have a 1tb WD blue, and an external WD Green that I smashed open to put in my rig, as well as another 500gb external drive

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Dang guys, I have a 1tb WD blue, and an external WD Green that I smashed open to put in my rig, as well as another 500gb external drive

And I actually use it too.

25i98j6.jpg

sudcell

Not much as of now..

Just 1TB internal Wd hdd
1 TB WD passport external
2 Tb Seagate external
1 Tb samsung external

jamesd1981

I much prefer ssd, but as stated above it is still too expensive to use solely ssd if you have biggish storage needs. Although it is getting nearer my first ssd was only 64gb and was over £100 at the time, now you can get a 512gb ssd for £150.

I dare say a lot of people could use just ssd 512gb is pretty big for a lot of people, but if you store a lot of software, video, pictures etc, you really need TB`S of storage not GB`S

The new trend of 4K video is really going to send storage needs through the roof, drives need to get a lot bigger now, I only have about 50 4K videos and they take up a massive amount of storage.

My storage is spread across my machines to help reduce risk of loss in unlikely event of fire, burglary etc.

system 1 - 120GB ssd & 2TB external

system 2 - 120GB ssd & 500GB hdd

system 3 - 64GB ssd & 1TB hdd

Plus I use lots of cloud storage services as extra backup and dvd discs

The VCR King

I've never really understood the big deal with SSDs since they have such small capacity. My gaming PC originally had Windows 7 and all my files on my 120GB SSD but in less than 3 weeks I had less than 70GB left so I had to reimage the PC and merge everything to the 1TB HDD so I could actually USE my computer. What took up most of the SSD space was my iTunes stuff, because 3 people use the same iTunes account so between apps, movies, and music, we have about a 70GB library.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
I've never really understood the big deal with SSDs since they have such small capacity. My gaming PC originally had Windows 7 and all my files on my 120GB SSD but in less than 3 weeks I had less than 70GB left so I had to reimage the PC and merge everything to the 1TB HDD so I could actually USE my computer. What took up most of the SSD space was my iTunes stuff, because 3 people use the same iTunes account so between apps, movies, and music, we have about a 70GB library.

That's why you redirect your user folders to the HDD. The only user folder that still stays pointed to my SSD is my desktop folder. Everything else is on my D:\ drive.

salvage-this

128gb ssd for OS
2x 1tb drives for /home and users directory
1x 2tb drive for storage/backups

I'll be adding another 500gb SSD later on for more OS storage and setting up a freeNAS box for Windows sharing and Time Machine backups. Probably looking at an extra 6TB there.

ninjabubbles3

I have only like 5 games and some word files and crap, some basic editing software, and crap, so only like 200 gigs in use for me

spirit

Staff member
5TB: WD Caviar Green 2TB and a Caviar Green 3TB.

And a 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 as my boot drive.

Geoff

VIP Member
I have 8TB on my NAS, several 3TB and 1.5TB external drives I use for onsite and offsite backup, as well as a 3TB internal and two 250GB SSDs in my gaming PC.

That's why you get a larger SSD. They make SSDs up to 1TB now. Or, you can do what most of us do and just use the SSD for their OS and applications, and store all data on a second drive by redirecting your folders.

strollin

Your poll needs to include a way to vote for "Both". I prefer each of them for different purposes. I prefer SSDs for booting an OS or quick app startup, I prefer HDDs for storing large amounts of data.

I have a 240GB SSD in my desktop, along with 1.5TB and 2TB HDDS. I have a 4TB NAS, and 1TB x 3, 1.5TB & 3TB externals for backups. I have a 512GB SSD in my laptop, a 128GB SSD in my tablet and a 128GB SSD in my netbook. I also have a bunch of other odd sized drives that are either bare or in external cases. Looks like I have enough storage for the time being.

C4C

2 Maxtor 300GB HDD's
and 1 Seagate 1TB External

for products inside a device: 1TB Seagate in my laptop and 2 80GB WD in my desktop