• Hard Disk Drives

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Solid State Drives

Votes: 6 24.0%
  • HDD and SSD

Votes: 8 32.0%

• Total voters

G80FTW

I wish HP made phones. I bet they'd be great.

They actually kind of did. They bought out Palm right after the 800 series I believe and they made the Palm Pre and Palm Pixi phones which had the new WebOS. In my opinion, they were great phones surprisingly. But HP decided that Palm didnt need to make phones anymore for some reason. I loved WebOS even though it didnt have near the support that Android does, I thought it had room to grow.

Well I take that back, they were great phones except the ringer switch on mine broke and Sprint refused to fix or replace it so I had to get a new phone because mine became useless constantly switching between ring and vibrate. Other than that though, excellent phone :D

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Honestly guys HP isn't all that bad. Not my number one choice of brand but I'd sooner get one over something like an Acer and their servers and higher-end machines are solid.

strollin

Sarcasm :rolleyes:

That's what emoticons are for since it's not easy to convey body language, facial expressions or mood in a forum.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly guys HP isn't all that bad. Not my number one choice of brand but I'd sooner get one over something like an Acer and their servers and higher-end machines are solid.

I've had more HP machines go bad then anything else. Doesn't matter if its a desktop or laptop. Dell would be right behind HP. Acer probably makes better machines then either one of them.

Jiniix

MM-Vision (Danish company based on Clevo) > ASUS > Lenovo (if they fix their stupid touchpads) > Dell > HP > Acer

G80FTW

I've had more HP machines go bad then anything else. Doesn't matter if its a desktop or laptop. Dell would be right behind HP. Acer probably makes better machines then either one of them.

Every HP machines Iv owned failed within a year. Iv honestly never had a problem with Dells though. Mostly because Iv never owned a Dell, but Iv always worked with them.

Never had the guts to buy anything Acer. Sony is where I would have went for a laptop. Still have my 1999 Sony Vaio laptop that works flawlessly. Slowest machine in the world with its 800mhz P3, but works none the less.

The VCR King

I do have a quick question. I want to get a 6TB Red drive but I do not know if my motherboard can handle/use a 6TB drive. It's a MSI 890FXA-GD65 gaming series (AMD)

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna say no as this doesn't have UEFI bios so I think you will be limited to 2TB. But I guess you can use it as a storage drive but you would have to create 3 or more partitions.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
My Bios is America Megatrends. Is there a way to tell what my limit is?

I just checked the manual to be sure and it doesn't have a UEFI bios so its limit will be 2tb as a boot drive and you would need to use multiple partitions if as a storage drive.

The VCR King

So if I take a 6TB hard drive and divide it into 3 2TB partitions, it will appear in my computer as 3 2TB drives, but I can use it?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yes you can do that. But mind you if the disk goes bad you'll lose all three partitions. I'd rather get 3x2TB drives.

spirit

Staff member

Interesting. I would rate Dell higher than either of them (especially when talking about laptops) but I've not really had a problem with HP, especially not with their business desktops which at the end of the day are really like any other business machine that any other manufacturer produces.

goranpaa

I prefer the SSD for it's speed and that it's completly silent.

I had a Western Digital Raptor 10.000 rpm at 75 gb before that sounded like an old mechanical typewriter.

Besides the SSD, I have the WD Blue 1 Tb as you can see in my sig and 2 usb external hdd's at 2 Tb and 500 gb.

When the larger SSD's drops in price some. I will replace the WD Blue for a 500 gb. I have discovered that I really don't need 1 Tb of storage in the case too.

Last edited:

The VCR King

Yes you can do that. But mind you if the disk goes bad you'll lose all three partitions. I'd rather get 3x2TB drives.
Well, I don't even have any free SATA ports on my motherboard anyways with my current 4 hard drives and CD-ROM, so I will have to adapt this new hard drive to the eSata on the case and use USB for power.

Also, if each partition appears as a separate hard drive on my computer, can I use one of the "hard drives" for Windows/pagefile, and one of the other "hard drives" for another dual-boot OS like Ubuntu? And then I would take the last 2TB partition, partition it further to 2 1TB partitions, and I have 1TB of user storage for Windows and Ubuntu.

Geoff

VIP Member
Also, if each partition appears as a separate hard drive on my computer, can I use one of the "hard drives" for Windows/pagefile, and one of the other "hard drives" for another dual-boot OS like Ubuntu? And then I would take the last 2TB partition, partition it further to 2 1TB partitions, and I have 1TB of user storage for Windows and Ubuntu.
Yes, you can use each partition for a different OS. I don't see why you would use one for the page file though, as you won't get the performance improvement of having the paging file on a separate physical drive.

fade2green514

-128gb adata sp600 ssd & 3tb seagate barracuda hdd in my htpc / dvr computer, and a blu-ray player, asus brand
-single 512gb ocz vertex 4 ssd in my gaming pc
-2tb external portable usb hard disk, samsung something or other
-probably 5 or 10 other usb flash drives. mostly 32gb and then i think one 64gb. one main one on my keychain at all times though.