How Secure Is Your Password?

Okedokey

You need to remember that it doesn't know what website the password is for or anything else like that :cool:

Yes but it knows its a password. Doesn't take very long to try to obvious ones.. ebay, paypal, and so on. Your 25 thousand years disolves into a few minutes especially if it knows your IP adress and probably other information.

PCunicorn

Yes but it knows its a password. Doesn't take very long to try to obvious ones.. ebay, paypal, and so on. Your 25 thousand years disolves into a few minutes especially if it knows your IP adress and probably other information.

They still need to know your email/Username. I also have no idea what a IP address has to do with it.

Agent Smith

That site has a lot of javascript BS. So I would be cautions. I use NoScript for Firefox so no issue here.

larsch

All calculations must be made client side - the password must never be sent to them (which they claim it doesn't).

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member

They still need to know your email/Username. I also have no idea what a IP address has to do with it.

^This is what I meant.

Punk

Staff member

Because an IP adress is your "identity" online. Of course they have to be very good hacker, but that's still a possibility.
I get that's less likely they'll do anything since they don't have the websites but that's still one step closer to hacking accounts ;)

Geoff

VIP Member
Because an IP adress is your "identity" online. Of course they have to be very good hacker, but that's still a possibility.
I get that's less likely they'll do anything since they don't have the websites but that's still one step closer to hacking accounts ;)
I thought about that before putting in my password, hence why I chose a different character for the last part of my password. It's just random numbers and letters anyways so that shouldn't impact the results.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
Everything is possible of course.

But for security reasons I never write my passwords anywhere anyway...

Besides...every web site will say that they won't use it for illegal purposes lol...

spirit

Staff member
I just used this website in my IT homework which is about having a strong password - I put some example passwords in and wrote approximately how long they'd take to crack and how much longer it takes a computer to crack a password by adding special characters.

Troncoso

VIP Member
If it makes anyone feel better, they do not in anyway access the server while you type your password. When the textfield is updated, the only thing that runs is some javascript. No calls to the server are made in anyway.