How should I upgrade from an HDD to an SSD and also switch from Windows 7 to Windows 10 at the same time?

JohnJSal

Hi all. I have been using Windows 7 for quite a while now, and I'm considering upgrading to 10. This also seems like a good time to get an SSD on which to install it. But this raises a few questions for me:

1. I assume I need to have access to Windows 7 on my HDD (which is currently the C: drive) in order to install Windows 10, but how can I do this and still have the new SSD be the C: drive rather than some other letter?

2. Can I keep my current HDD installed and use it for storage, but have it be some other letter, like E: or F: (D: is my optical drive)? Do I just need to format it once Windows 10 is safely installed on the new drive?

3. Maybe most importantly, is there any reason to assume that whichever SSD I buy will be incompatible with any of my hardware, namely the motherboard or CPU? I'd hate to find that that is the case after I go through the process! My hardware is several years old, but still fairly decent. I'm hoping there are no issues there.

And any recommendations for a good SSD are certainly welcome too! I figure at least 500GB, since that's what my current HDD is. Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The process isn't as hard as you think it is. There are many articles online about how to install windows 10 with your windows 7 activation key. This is one of them.

If you want to read others then just use this for your search terms.

1. You don't need access to your windows 7 install at all. The only thing you need is your windows 7 25 digit activation key as I said in your previous thread. You would need to disconnect all other hard drives and only have the SSD connected when installing Windows 10.

2. Yes, but again you must disconnect it temporarily until after windows 10 is installed on the SDD. Reason being the install may place the boot files on one of the other drives and not the SSD. If that happens and the old drive dies then windows won't boot. Don't make any changes to the old drive until you know Windows 10 is installed and activated. Once you reconnect the old hard drive or drives you can then delete anything on them that pertained to the old windows installation and then use them as storage drives. The new SSD will be C drive, your old C drive should be labeled as D and then optical drive should be labeled E.

3. Any SATA 3 SSD will work just fine. You have SATA 3 ports on the motherboard. Depending on what size SSD you want, would either recommend a 250-500gb one. I've used the following models and have had no issues.

A. PNY CS900 - https://www.amazon.com/PNY-CS900-48...4011&s=pc&sprefix=sata+ssd,aps,81&sr=1-4&th=1
B. Inland Professional - https://www.amazon.com/Inland-Profe...4011&s=pc&sprefix=sata+ssd,aps,81&sr=1-7&th=1
c. Samsung 870 EVO - https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-250G...+Electronics&rnid=2528832011&s=pc&sr=1-8&th=1
D. Western Digital Blue - https://www.amazon.com/Blue-NAND-25...ital+sata+ssd&qid=1647979839&s=pc&sr=1-4&th=1

If we can answer any further questions, just ask.

Windows 10 should automatically install most of the drivers needed but if not, we can help with that as well.

JohnJSal

Uhm, okay, this is probably going to sound incredibly weird (and stupid), but I just started browsing SSDs and I'm confused at what I'm even looking at! I had a small, rectangular block pictured in my mind as the shape of the drive, but what I'm seeing looks like a stick of RAM!

Is this the actual drive? Is this supposed to be plugged directly into the motherboard like RAM or the GPU?

Needless to say, I had no idea what an SSD even was apparently!

Darren

Staff member
Uhm, okay, this is probably going to sound incredibly weird (and stupid), but I just started browsing SSDs and I'm confused at what I'm even looking at! I had a small, rectangular block pictured in my mind as the shape of the drive, but what I'm seeing looks like a stick of RAM!

Is this the actual drive? Is this supposed to be plugged directly into the motherboard like RAM or the GPU?

Needless to say, I had no idea what an SSD even was apparently!
You're looking at M.2 SSD's. It can get a little confusing because there are two protocols used by M.2 drives. SATA, and NVMe. To complicate things further, SATA is both a protocol but also indicative of a physical connection type, the L shaped connector you're probably familiar with on regular SATA 3.5" hard drives and smaller 2.5" SATA SSDs. M.2 is also a physical connection type, but can carry either SATA or NVMe protocol.

In short you want a SATA III 2.5" SSD (not M.2). This will be the smaller box you're expecting. You will find both M.2 NVMe and M.2 SATA drives, which you don't want either of. These use M.2 connectors, and one or the other two protocols.

John's links are the kind you're looking for.

JohnJSal

2. Yes, but again you must disconnect it temporarily until after windows 10 is installed on the SDD. Reason being the install may place the boot files on one of the other drives and not the SSD. If that happens and the old drive dies then windows won't boot. Don't make any changes to the old drive until you know Windows 10 is installed and activated. Once you reconnect the old hard drive or drives you can then delete anything on them that pertained to the old windows installation and then use them as storage drives. The new SSD will be C drive, your old C drive should be labeled as D and then optical drive should be labeled E.

This part still confuses me. If I disconnect my current HDD, what will happen when I install the SSD and boot up the computer? Where will it get and install Windows 10 from? Is that an automatic process that just happens, or do I need to download Windows 10 to a disc or USB drive first?

Also, when I reconnect the HDD, will my PC know to boot from the SSD and start up Windows 10, rather than try to boot up Windows 7 from the HDD?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Download the media creation tool here and create a usb for it.

Click on where it says download tool now and then follow the prompts to create the bootable flash drive with windows 10 on it. You'll need to set your first boot device to usb in bios or use the setup when first turning your pc on so that it boots to flash drive first.

To make sure it boots to new SSD on every boot just make sure its set up correctly in bios. Then you can connect your old hard drive and it won't boot to it.

JohnJSal

Thanks so much! And one (hopefully) final question: it's been a while since I've worked on the inside of my PC case. I know my current HDD fits into one of the front bays with the brackets that hold it in place. Since the SSD will be smaller and thinner, will it fit in the same type of bay? Should it come with the necessary hardware to hold it into place?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Some cases have a dedicated spot for SATA SSD's others will need an adapter to fit it inside an HDD space. Your Antec P182 case doesn't have a dedicated spot for SATA SSD. You'll either need one of these or something similar.

or you can just velcro it down somewhere as its not gonna hurt it.

JohnJSal

Ok, just to be clear on what I need to do, is the following correct?

0. I'm starting with an HDD with Windows 7 installed, which is currently the C: drive. No other hard drives, but I do have an external drive I use for storage attached, which is the E: drive. I assume I should probably unplug that when installing Windows 10?

1. Download Windows 10 to a USB drive.

2. Unplug my HDD from the motherboard.

3. Attach the new SSD.

4. Start the PC and choose the boot option to boot from the USB stick. (It's been a while since I've done this, hopefully I'll remember how. If I happen to miss the prompt or it doesn't work, what will happen? Where will the PC proceed to?)

5. Install Windows 10 on the new SSD. This should make it C:

6. Reboot and do whatever to make sure the installation was successful.

7. Plug the HDD and external drives back in.

8. At this point, the HDD will probably be the E: drive and the external drive will move to the F: drive? My optical drive seems to be set at D:

I guess the only other question is, when I have both the SSD and HDD plugged in together, one with Windows 10 and one with Windows 7 (until I format this latter one), will my PC know to boot from the SSD with Windows 10? Will I have to manually do something during installation to ensure this, or will it just happen?

Thanks!

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I assume I should probably unplug that when installing Windows 10?

Yes

Start the PC and choose the boot option to boot from the USB stick. (It's been a while since I've done this, hopefully I'll remember how. If I happen to miss the prompt or it doesn't work, what will happen? Where will the PC proceed to?)

Sometimes when I build a new pc I don't even have to set first boot device, the system will just automatically find the usb and boot to it. Every system will be different though.

At this point, the HDD will probably be the E: drive and the external drive will move to the F: drive? My optical drive seems to be set at D:

Usually it will just change each device by 1 letter up. Your optical drive will still be D since it will be connected during install. So your old C drive should be labeled E now. But its really not gonna matter anyway.
when I have both the SSD and HDD plugged in together, one with Windows 10 and one with Windows 7 (until I format this latter one), will my PC know to boot from the SSD with Windows 10? Will I have to manually do something during installation to ensure this, or will it just happen?

Set first boot option in bios to SSD.

Just make sure you pull your windows 7 activation key before disconnecting it and installing 10. Use keyfinder if you don't already have it wrote down somewhere.

Download it, unzip and run keyfinder. You'll then see your windows 7 key where it says cd key on the right pane. See image.

keyfinder.png

Make sure windows 10 is activated before you delete anything from the windows 7 install.

JohnJSal

Set first boot option in bios to SSD.

At what point during the installation is this done? Do I need to go into the BIOS after the installation but before I reconnect my HDD?

And once this is done, is it totally safe to simply reformat the HDD?

beers

Staff member
Also side note you can change the drive letters to whatever you want in Disk Management.

Any 2.5 to 3.5" adapter will work to mount it in the bay.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry, I thought I had replied to this.

At what point during the installation is this done? Do I need to go into the BIOS after the installation but before I reconnect my HDD?
Yes.
And once this is done, is it totally safe to simply reformat the HDD?
As long as there is no data on there that is needed.

Again, make sure that the new windows 10 install is activated before doing anything with the old windows 7 install. If you enter the activation key during the install then after the install go to this screen and check status.
activation settings.jpgactivation.jpg