how to configure outlook

robina_80

hi guys,

how do you configure outlook so it opens yr emails, i click on the tick box manually configure server settings, it shows 3 options i choose internet email and the next page ive got no idea, account type?, incoming mail server?, outgoing mail server?

can someones please help?!?!

sg1

you will need to know your incoming/outgoing mail server settings, your email address/s(obviously ) and your password/s

which ISP are you with?

robina_80

what do i enter in incoming mail server and outgoing mail server??? and what account type is it

im asking as ive got to install outlook on someones computer and they want to use outlook as there email client

cohen

what do i enter in incoming mail server and outgoing mail server??? and what account type is it

im asking as ive got to install outlook on someones computer and they want to use outlook as there email client

Read my above post,

what is the domain host???

hotmail, yahoo etc???

then i or someone else can post instructions!

sg1

assuming you mean outlook express

Do you really want to install Outlook at all? I mean security wise it's flawed, why not try Thunderbird?

But we still need to know which type of email account it is to help you:)

cohen

its googlemail

OK, thankyou

Here are some instructions:

To configure Outlook 2007 for your Gmail address:

1. Enable POP in Gmail. Don't forget to click Save Changes when you're done.
2. Open Outlook.
3. Click the Tools menu, and select Account Settings...
4. On the E-mail tab, click New...
5. If you are prompted to Choose E-mail Service, select Microsoft Exchange, POP3, IMAP, or HTTP, and click Next.
6. Fill in all necessary fields to include the following information:

Your Name: Enter your name as you would like it to appear in the From: field of outgoing messages.
Email Address: Enter your full Gmail email address ([email protected]).
Password: Enter your Gmail password.

Manually configure server settings or additional server types: Leave this option unchecked if you want to automatically configure Outlook 2007. If you want to manually configure Outlook 2007, check this box now.

gmail_86374a_en.gif

7 Click Next. If you are configuring Outlook 2007 automatically, you're done! Just click Finish.

gmail_86374b_en.gif

8. If you are configuring Outlook 2007 manually, select Internet E-mail and click Next.
9. Verify your User Information, and enter the following additional information:

Server Information

Account Type: POP3

Incoming mail server: pop.gmail.com

Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.gmail.com

Logon Information

User Name: Enter your Gmail username (including @gmail.com).

Password: Enter your Gmail password.

Require logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA): Leave this option unchecked.

gmail_86374c_en.gif

10. Account Settings Click the More Settings... button, and select the Outgoing Server tab.
11. Check the box next to My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication and select Use same settings as my incoming mail server.

gmail_86374d_en.gif

12. Outgoing Server Tab Click the Advanced tab, and check the box next to This server requires an encrypted connection (SSL) under Incoming Server (POP3).
13. In the Outgoing server (SMTP) box, enter 587, and select TLS from the drop-down menu next to Use the following type of encrypted connection:.

gmail_86374e_en.gif

14. Advanced Tab Click OK.
15. Click Test Account Settings... After receiving Congratulations! All tests completed successfully, click Close.
16. Click Next, and then click Finish.

Hope this helps, if this is a problem go to this website

Congratulations! You're done configuring your client to send and retrieve Gmail messages.

robina_80

how did you know the account type, outgoing server and incoming server? did you look it up or just know

EDIT: also when ive accessed gmail thru outlook and then close it and open up outlook again it losses the settings and i have to manually configure outlook again to access my email, how do you make outlook remember the settings?

Last edited:

cohen

how did you know the account type, outgoing server and incoming server? did you look it up or just know

EDIT: also when ive accessed gmail thru outlook and then close it and open up outlook again it losses the settings and i have to manually configure outlook again to access my email, how do you make outlook remember the settings?

you have to click finish and then make sure the account stays there.... and read the instructions below carefully because everything is there!

robina_80

ive started to use outlook but i dont like the way when you delete messages on outlook it doesnt delete them in your actual internet account ie gmail you have to go into gmail and delete it there, i dont mind but after a while you start building up emails in your gmail account

cohen

ive started to use outlook but i dont like the way when you delete messages on outlook it doesnt delete them in your actual internet account ie gmail you have to go into gmail and delete it there, i dont mind but after a while you start building up emails in your gmail account

that is because it takes a sample / copy of the e-mail......

cohen

thats what i thought cohen.
do you use outlook. and if you dont, why dont you

i don't because i use outlook for my ISP e-mail.... and i have learnt from past experiences with it.... i like windows live mail (the program) because it syncs it... it is like outlook, but you delete an e-mail with windows live mail, it deletes it online as well

Kesava

i don't because i use outlook for my ISP e-mail.... and i have learnt from past experiences with it.... i like windows live mail (the program) because it syncs it... it is like outlook, but you delete an e-mail with windows live mail, it deletes it online as well

thats what i thought cohen.
do you use outlook. and if you dont, why dont you

cool i may have to get that so the only email clients that can delete stuff for you is windows live mail?

i sometimes use windows live mail... because its the best that ive found... windows mail doesnt support hotmail anymore and there was a reason for outlook which i have forgotten :)

anyway i either use windows live mail or just login to hotmail...
i have my hotmail,gmail and aol accounts redirected to my windows live mail.