how to copy MS-DOS 6.22

PC eye

banned
Don't be so obtuse. Go back and read my posts. How many times did I mention the /s switch? Twice. Even a 2nd grader could catch it. Just further proof that you don't bother reading people's posts before you start posting irrelevant nonsense and equally irrelevant screenshots. :rolleyes:

The original 6.22 floppies DO in fact boot. What are you smoking? Give me some.. :p How the hell else do you think you booted the machine? Magic? :rolleyes: What exactly do you think the system files do, besides take up floppy space?

I honestly can't believe you label yourself a tech. I really can't. I mean, you're fun to bug and I think it would be great to sit down over a beer and chat about IBM ATs, custom made IBM drive interfaces and shit, but you really don't know much about computers other than what you can find on Google from what I can see.

If you knew anything at all :confused: you would know that copying the compressed files direct to a preformatted floppy would see it boot as well. That has to do with the files themselves. On the old systems you simply shoved the floppy in and turned on the power. The default boot device was the floppy drive. OOPS! You didn't know that? :p ("Gee? I wonder if dos 6.22 is still available on 5 1/4" floppies? hhmmm....:confused: " would be you trying to get an old system running! :D )

SirKenin

banned
DUDE!!! Hahaha. Let me give you an example. Go to the Root of your Windows XP machine. Show hidden and system files and delete the following files:

Boot.ini
NTLDR
Ntdetect.com

Tell me if your computer boots. Of course not. Those are the system files needed to boot Windows.

But what you have just finished trying to convince me is that if you don't modify the boot record and put the system files on the floppy, it will just magically boot (after you finished telling me that DOS 6.22 disks aren't bootable of course)...Well...I've smoked some wicked pot, but yours takes the cake, I have to admit. lol :D :D

SYS or FORMAT A: /S modify the boot record of the floppy. A simple diskcopy can not do that, which is what you are falsely trying to convince us of. It also copies the system files and command interpreter to make the disk bootable.

Now, if you want, I pulled one of your tricks and searched for bootable DOS 6.22 OS disks, and came up with a zillion pages. Seeing as how you're so talented at it I figured I would leave it up to you to drum up a few. I don't think it's really necessary to demonstrate to everyone else how far out in left field you are.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
No what you seem to have not bothered to pay attention to is the fact that the essential system files are already one the #1 floppy used for the installation off 6.22 like command.com, io.sys, msdos.sys, sys.com, format.com, and fdisk.exe. An installation disk is already bootable. :rolleyes:

The time that other commands are used is when the installation files are none and a floppy has to be made bootable. Oh jeepers I should have known you don't know how "right click" on the floppy drive icon seen in MyComputer and choose the format option to format and transfer the essentials that way. :confused: But it must be all those references to smoking something that has you in a daze there. :eek: :p :p :p

SirKenin

banned
No what you seem to have not bothered to pay attention to is the fact that the essential system files are already one the #1 floppy used for the installation off 6.22 like command.com, io.sys, msdos.sys, sys.com, format.com, and fdisk.exe. An installation disk is already bootable. :rolleyes:

The guy wants to make a COPY of his OS disks. His destination disks are blank (unless you can show me a store that will sell you a box of DOS 6.22 boot floppies).

The time that other commands are used is when the installation files are none and a floppy has to be made bootable. Oh jeepers I should have known you don't know how "right click" on the floppy drive icon seen in MyComputer and choose the format option to format and transfer the essentials that way. :confused: But it must be all those references to smoking something that has you in a daze there. :eek: :p :p :p

You can NOT use Windows to create a bootable DOS 6.22 disk. I have already told you that. Sure, it will boot, but it will not be DOS 6.22. So, what's the problem? Well, when you go to run any of the commands in DOS it's going to tell you "INCORRECT DOS VERSION". Soooo...You're right back to square one.

Like I said... You HAVE to use either SYS or FORMAT /S to make the disk bootable.

SirKenin

banned
haha. I went to the fridge for a drink and all I could think about was us getting together over a pitcher and laughing about all this. This is too much fun. I wish I discovered this place a long time ago. I bug you, and I think it's funny with you getting all feisty and bugging me. It doesn't bother me at all. I get a kick out of it. As long as everyone has a thick skin it makes for a most amusing day. I miss it when you aren't on here.

ismee

oh my god...make me confuse...
what i want is simple, make a copy of my 3 diskette...
a installation disk...
not juzt a bootable disk...
i just format my diskkete under dos 6.22.
and it only a bootable disk...
after this i go into windows, drag all the file of my disk1..
then i try to boot it...its really only a bootable disk...not a installation disk...
??????

SirKenin

banned
Type in EDIT AUTOEXEC.BAT at the A:\> prompt.
Once there, at the end of the lines of gibberish add "A:\SETUP.EXE"

Try that...It's a workaround, but it should work.

PC eye

banned
oh my god...make me confuse...
what i want is simple, make a copy of my 3 diskette...
a installation disk...
not juzt a bootable disk...
i just format my diskkete under dos 6.22.
and it only a bootable disk...
after this i go into windows, drag all the file of my disk1..
then i try to boot it...its really only a bootable disk...not a installation disk...
??????

When booting from an older startup(boot) floppy you can simply type in the "diskcopy a:" at the "a:>" prompt will copy all files into ram memory until you swap the original disk for a blank disk and press the enter key when prompted.