how to copy MS-DOS 6.22

ismee

I have MS-dos 6.22 installation disk (disk 1,2,3) on diskette.
How to make a sameinstallation disk?

I try ro copy it under dos,but while i am using the new copy(disk1) the system cannot use that to install.

anybody here know how to do it?

tks

ismee

trying to make a copy of MS_DOS 6.22 diskette.
I have 3 diskette to setup MS-dos 6.22.

I try to make a copy but i cant use the new copy to install dos 6.22.

why??

SirKenin

banned
Boot with the DOS disk. At the prompt type in SYS A: A: Do the floppy switcheroo thing as required. Then when you are back at the prompt put the original back in and type COPY A:*.* A: Do that for each disk.

ismee

Boot with the DOS disk. At the prompt type in SYS A: A: Do the floppy switcheroo thing as required. Then when you are back at the prompt put the original back in and type COPY A:*.* A: Do that for each disk.

sorry, it still cant work.
i boot into dos, type sys a: a:
message"source path and target drive cannot be the same".

then i type a:*.* a:
message"a:io.sys file cannot be copied onto itself".

???

SirKenin

banned
Ohhhh.. Hmmm. Try SYS A: B:

There's a trick to it.. I've done it before, many times, but that was a LONG time ago.. lol

PC eye

banned
Try "diskcopy a: b:" or follow these instructions if you have the files copied into a folder on the hard drive.

At the prompt, if you have MS-DOS 6.2 / Windows 3.x / Windows 95 / Windows 98, type:​
FORMAT A:/S
If you have MS-DOS 5.0 type using double density 5.25" diskettes type:​
FORMAT A: /360 /S
If you have MS- DOS 3.11 through 4.0 using double density 5.25" diskettes, type:​
FORMAT A: /4 /S
Once the diskette has been formatted and the system has been transferred, you should be returned to your original directory. In this directory, type:​
copy format*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
copy fdisk*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
copy mscdex*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
copy sys*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
copy edit*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]

copy qbasic*.* a: [PRESS ENTER] (Win 95/98 users skip this line)
copy debug*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
copy himem*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
copy emm386*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
If you are planning to use this diskette as a diskette to load games or you feel that you need mouse support, you will need to copy the mouse driver onto the boot diskette. The MS-DOS mouse driver is generally mouse.com / mouse.sys. Locate this file and copy it to your bootable diskette.

The following links list all dos commands for 6.22. http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm
http://www.uv.tietgen.dk/staff/mlha/PC/Soft/DOS/com/

SirKenin

banned
First, diskcopy doesn't copy the hidden system files needed to make the floppy bootable.

Second, copying the floppies onto the harddrive won't work... You can get them on there through XP, but when you go to format, it will use the Windows XP format. The problem with that is when he goes to boot with the floppy and load any DOS command, he will get an "INCORRECT DOS VERSION" error message.

He can't boot with a DOS diskette, because then he won't have access to the harddrive. DOS is 16 bit. Windows XP is 32 bit NTFS. DOS is incapable of reading an NTFS HDD. If he goes to type "C:\" he will get the error message "NOT READY READING DRIVE C"

He must do the entire thing by floppy. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. You obviously don't. That is a nice cut and paste from Google, but you are just misleading him.

PC eye

banned
First, diskcopy doesn't copy the hidden system files needed to make the floppy bootable.

Second, copying the floppies onto the harddrive won't work... You can get them on there through XP, but when you go to format, it will use the Windows XP format. The problem with that is when he goes to boot with the floppy and load any DOS command, he will get an "INCORRECT DOS VERSION" error message.

He can't boot with a DOS diskette, because then he won't have access to the harddrive. DOS is 16 bit. Windows XP is 32 bit NTFS. DOS is incapable of reading an NTFS HDD. If he goes to type "C:\" he will get the error message "NOT READY READING DRIVE C"

He must do the entire thing by floppy. Trust me, I know what I'm doing. You obviously don't. That is a nice cut and paste from Google, but you are just misleading him.

Then apparently you have never heard of
NTFS4DOS 1.8 (read/write NTFS from DOS)
http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_9_90_11100.html

I used that back when I was dual OSing 98 with Linux on a second drive in the old case. Besides is ismee even running XP or a dos, .3.1, 9X, or ME system? Since 6.22 is 16bit to effectively recreate any of the floppies you need to be running a 16bit OS namely 95 or simply an older dos machine with 6.22 on it already. WIN98-ME Dos 7.0+

ismee

Try "diskcopy a: b:" or follow these instructions if you have the files copied into a folder on the hard drive.

At the prompt, if you have MS-DOS 6.2 / Windows 3.x / Windows 95 / Windows 98, type:​
FORMAT A:/S
If you have MS-DOS 5.0 type using double density 5.25" diskettes type:​
FORMAT A: /360 /S
If you have MS- DOS 3.11 through 4.0 using double density 5.25" diskettes, type:​
FORMAT A: /4 /S
Once the diskette has been formatted and the system has been transferred, you should be returned to your original directory. In this directory, type:​
copy format*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
copy fdisk*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
copy mscdex*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
copy sys*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
copy edit*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]

copy qbasic*.* a: [PRESS ENTER] (Win 95/98 users skip this line)
copy debug*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
copy himem*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
copy emm386*.* a: [PRESS ENTER]
If you are planning to use this diskette as a diskette to load games or you feel that you need mouse support, you will need to copy the mouse driver onto the boot diskette. The MS-DOS mouse driver is generally mouse.com / mouse.sys. Locate this file and copy it to your bootable diskette.

The following links list all dos commands for 6.22. http://www.computerhope.com/msdos.htm
http://www.uv.tietgen.dk/staff/mlha/PC/Soft/DOS/com/

ok.so,now a have a floppy drive (a:) and a USB floopy drive (b:)
so, i need to format my new diskette under DOS to make it bootable by format /s.
am i right?
then, copy the original diskette file to my new bootable diskette,smae method for my disk 2 and disk3?
I'll try it later,thanks u guys.

SirKenin

banned
Then apparently you have never heard of
NTFS4DOS 1.8 (read/write NTFS from DOS)
http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_9_90_11100.html

I used that back when I was dual OSing 98 with Linux on a second drive in the old case. Besides is ismee even running XP or a dos, .3.1, 9X, or ME system? Since 6.22 is 16bit to effectively recreate any of the floppies you need to be running a 16bit OS namely 95 or simply an older dos machine with 6.22 on it already. WIN98-ME Dos 7.0+

:rolleyes: Maybe we can make it even more complicated for the poor guy. I'm not talking about any other O/S... I'm talking about DOS 6.22. Let's try and stick to the basics or before long you'll be having us talk about time travel. :D

PC eye

banned
:rolleyes: Maybe we can make it even more complicated for the poor guy. I'm not talking about any other O/S... I'm talking about DOS 6.22. Let's try and stick to the basics or before long you'll be having us talk about time travel. :D

Oh really? :rolleyes: For one a good number of the installation files on the three 6.22 floppies are compressed with the ".ex_", ".gr_", ".sy_", and ".xi_" extensions. For a look at the contents of each of the three floppies,

DISK #1 63 files total

[/URL

DISK #2 48 files total

[URL="http://imageshack.us"]

DISK #3 50 files total

Simply copy the contents from each disk into a temp folder on the hard drive and recopy them to a blank preformatted floppy.:D :D :D

SirKenin

banned
The point is that you won't be able to get them onto the harddrive...in case you missed it. :rolleyes:

I know the files are compressed. You need "EXPAND" to decompress them manually.

Man I missed having you on all day. Life is pretty dull when you're not around.

ALTHOUGH... There is one way. In Windows XP create three seperate folders... Disk 1, Disk 2, Disk 3. Copy the disk into each one. Format in DOS when booted with the floppy, then go into Windows and copy the files onto the three new floppies. That should work.

PC eye

banned
With preformatted store bought floppies you don't have to worry about formatting them. You simply copy or drag the files the way they come off of the original 3 1/2s and later boot from disk #1 to start the partitioning, format, and transfer of dos essentials onto a drive. Hopefully you are only using dos on older systems with small hard drives.

MSDOS 6.22 was only good for creating a primary partition of about 2-2.5gb maximum in size. That allows for Windows 3.1 or 95 onto the Fat16 partition created there. As you will "plainly" see here there is far from any need to "EXPAND" any file as the files are copied from the floppy drive to a temp folder. Apparently you never spent any time working with dos to make the statement that they need to be decompressed. :rolleyes: Foot in mouth? :confused:

SirKenin

banned
No, no foot in mouth. I didn't say he had to expand them. You told me the files were compressed and basically I said "no shit sherlock". In not so many words. I lived for DOS. It was by far my favorite OS. I still prefer the prompt to point and click.

You have to transfer the system files over by either format a: /s or SYS a: b: That's the only way you can do it. You can't just copy them onto the disk (unless you use the ATTRIB command afterwards, but that's getting too complicated, even for you...You'll be a week on Google. lol j/k) Otherwise the disk won't boot, and you can not use XP to create a system disk. Try it if you want. You'll see.

PC eye

banned
The original floppy disks use for 6.22 do not boot. You manually enter the commands for "fdisk(sound familiar)" to create the primary partition(or extended on larger drives of the day), "format C: /s" formatting the primary along with transferring system files at that time as a part of the format process. Notice the "switch" on the end of that command? Or is it too hard for you? :p

In order to run newer versions of 32bit Windows then 95 the startup floppy for 98/ME is then used to partition and format dos 7.0 and higher. Windows 2000 and newer run on NTFS type partitions for the most part while XP not 2000 will run on a Fat32 type partition.

SirKenin

banned
Don't be so obtuse. Go back and read my posts. How many times did I mention the /s switch? Twice. Even a 2nd grader could catch it. Just further proof that you don't bother reading people's posts before you start posting irrelevant nonsense and equally irrelevant screenshots. :rolleyes:

The original 6.22 floppies DO in fact boot. What are you smoking? Give me some.. :p How the hell else do you think you booted the machine? Magic? :rolleyes: What exactly do you think the system files do, besides take up floppy space?

I honestly can't believe you label yourself a tech. I really can't. I mean, you're fun to bug and I think it would be great to sit down over a beer and chat about IBM ATs, custom made IBM drive interfaces and shit, but you really don't know much about computers other than what you can find on Google from what I can see.