How to extend my network by using second router in safe way ?

ZAX0L

Hello ,

I want to extend my network (Wi-Fi) in a safe way meaning that I have second router which I want to use to extend my Wi-Fi network. In the safe way I mean the router which I will use to extend my Wi-Fi can't sniff packets from my primary router if that's make sens. Also I want to have different Wi-Fi network name for the second router (the one which I will extend the network) and use the same broadband. Is that possible to realise ? I'm new to the whole idea of extending my network and I'm a bit confused about it because I do this first time tho.

Any help will be appreciated.
ZAX0L

ZAX0L

Yes I can but I would like to avoid it if it's possible tho.

P.S Just small question because I have never used switch. Does switch just stay on the desk and work or does it have like admin panel where you need to configure everythink for example like 192.168.0.1 from router.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Wait, do you have a switch or router that you are wanting to use? Your other thread was about a switch. What model of switch did you get?

ZAX0L

I have bought that -> Switch

I want to use router but I bough switch to extend the RJ-45 ports.

Going back to your question, Yes I can hook up the second router to my primary router using RJ-45 cable. But what about that packets sniffing and how to set up everything ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
That is an unmanaged switch, plug cables in and no configuring needed.

As far as the router goes. You would need to hook up a cable from an lan port on the first router to the internet port on the second router to have a separate network. This type of connection will not allow sharing between devices attached to the 2 routers. If you want to be able to share between routers then you need to hook up a cable to one of the lan ports on the second router. If you want to allow sharing then you need to disable dhcp on second router and if the IP address for first router is 192.168.1.1 then manually set the IP for the second router as 192.168.1.2. The SSID(network name) for the second router needs to be different from the first.

ZAX0L

As far as I understand , I just need to use RJ45 cable to connect routers together then just set-up my second router ? In that way there will be not available any packet sniffing and sharing devices until I change dhcp to the same as is in the my primary router ?

Out of the curiosity what will happen if both routers will have the same SSID ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I always label it different. If you have portable device that you will be roaming around the house in, then by all means set it up with the same name. If you want sharing then you have to use the lan port. If you don't want sharing then use the internet port. There are different articles online that explains the different ways to hook up 2 routers together. I can't find the specific one I want to show you though. Shows you pros and cons of each way.

Edit--

Found sort of what I was looking for. Its for linksys routers but generally the same setup with other brands.

http://kb.linksys.com/Linksys/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=3733

Last edited:

ZAX0L

Ok that article seems ok but what do u mean by lan port(is it RJ45) and Internet port (?) ?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The 4 ports by themselves are called lan ports and the internet port is called the wan port.

ZAX0L

I have checked my router and it's only have ADSL Port there isn't any Internet Port easily speaking that my RJ-45 Cable doesn't fit into ADSL Port as it's only have 3 pins, is there any adapter or something so I can have like RJ-45 to Internet Adapter ?

Thanks for the link it really helps.

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, then this is what you need to do.

Cable from adsl router to switch then cable from switch to second router. You will need to use the switch to hook up any pc's near the adsl router.

ZAX0L

ok but when I hook up the adsl cable to switch then I will don't have internet as router is required to connect with ISP.

I understand the LAN To WAN but now it's kinda more confused.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I will try explaining this again.

wall jack to adsl modem/router then a cable from the internet port on the adsl router to an lan port on the switch then a cable from a port on the switch to your second router.

Did I explain it correctly that time?

ZAX0L

So I connect adsl cable from wall socket to modem or router and then I don't have internet port :confused:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Now you are confusing me. You said your adsl router only has 1 rj45 port. Run a cable from there to the switch, and then a cable from the switch to the second router.

ZAX0L

No my primary as well as secondary routers have 4x RJ 45 Ports each as well as 1x ADSL Port. I don't have any Internet Port.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
What are the model numbers of routers you have? The second router must be a dedicated router, not a modem/router combo unit. So an adsl modem/router will not work for the second router.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You most likely won't be able to use that as its a modem/router combo unit. You can try though. Some of those can be a pain in the butt setting up.