How to get rid of Adware on Android?

Darren

Staff member
The only way you really get adware or "viruses" is from installed apps. Have you installed any apps recently? If so uninstall them one by one and see if they go away. I know there was a flashlight app that both my mom and boss had downloaded that would give them adds after ending a phone call or just randomly fill the screen with an ad. Pretty obnoxious. Uninstalled it and they disappeared.

The only way you really get adware or "viruses" is from installed apps. Have you installed any apps recently? If so uninstall them one by one and see if they go away. I know there was a flashlight app that both my mom and boss had downloaded that would give them adds after ending a phone call or just randomly fill the screen with an ad. Pretty obnoxious. Uninstalled it and they disappeared.

Yes, it is the flashlight app.

strollin

Most of the "free" apps you download from Google Play on Android are only free because they display ads. Often you can pay $1 or so for the same app without ads.

Darren

Staff member
Most of the "free" apps you download from Google Play on Android are only free because they display ads. Often you can pay $1 or so for the same app without ads.
True but there's a difference from banner ads on a loading screen versus full screen ads that cover up other apps when you're not even using the one that's showing the ads. I will say Apple does a better job of curating their app store than Google.

True but there's a difference from banner ads on a loading screen versus full screen ads that cover up other apps when you're not even using the one that's showing the ads. I will say Apple does a better job of curating their app store than Google.

Is there a virus scan that gets rid of them? Or is it not a virus in the first place? It's just part of the program?

Darren

Staff member
You can get so called AntiVirus for phones but in my experience it doesn't really do anything except suck background tasks. If you start getting obnoxious ads after installing an app, uninstall that app.

Side note, if you ever get a notice or warning your phone has viruses it's just a scam. Just back out of it or restart the phone. Usually see them as pop up ads on websites, even imgur was doing that on my S8+ lately.

You can get so called AntiVirus for phones but in my experience it doesn't really do anything except suck background tasks. If you start getting obnoxious ads after installing an app, uninstall that app.

Side note, if you ever get a notice or warning your phone has viruses it's just a scam. Just back out of it or restart the phone. Usually see them as pop up ads on websites, even imgur was doing that on my S8+ lately.

Sometimes I can't tell what app it is.

I got rid of the Flashlight app and I still get ads.

Is there a way to locate the app?

strollin

I guess I've been fortunate then. I've owned 4-5 Android phones and 3-4 Android tablets and have never encountered full screen ads.

Darren

Staff member
I guess I've been fortunate then. I've owned 4-5 Android phones and 3-4 Android tablets and have never encountered full screen ads.
Me neither, I think it's become an issue more recently as I've seen it for now 3 people in the past month or so.