How to get two modems for the same internet connection?

computerpal

I basically want two wifi router/modems for the same dsl connection that i have because:

1. I dont want to go upstairs everytime to turn on the modem to use wifi downstairs
2. I would like to keep my upstairs modem seperate from the one i want below
3. If you suggest i get switches, will i be able to switch the modem on and off from downstairs below itself? &
4. If the answer to that is yes then isn't it easier to get another modem downstairs that i can turn on and off right from there? i mean if i had a second modem i think it would be more effective than a wireless wifi extender

any help at all is appreciated

Agent Smith

Why don't you keep the one modem on?

This could come in handy. https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wi-Fi-Extender-Essentials-EX2700/dp/B00L0YLRUW?tag=techu4ria-20

There's also Internet over power line. These device use your home electrical wiring to send Internet. I heard they are hit and miss though depending on your current AC wiring an dhow old it is. WIFI is just such a crapshoot. I wired my house up with ethernet. I do use WIFI though for my smartphone, laptop and Amazon echo. Gaming on WIFI just sucks...

computerpal

I could leave it on but i just hate having to leave it turned on, it just makes me think of low level emission and all that plus its a waste of electricity

Laquer Head

I could leave it on but i just hate having to leave it turned on, it just makes me think of low level emission and all that plus its a waste of electricity

LOL... this is the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. Leave the thing on, stop being silly! Problem solved!!

Agent Smith

NQM5XtO.gif

beers

Staff member
it just makes me think of low level emission and all that plus its a waste of electricity
You're absorbing much higher power radio waves from FM/UHF/etc already in the air. Your microwave likely leaks more 2.4 GHz radiation than your wifi can put out from an EIRP perspective. Electricity wise you'd have to leave it on a couple of years to negate the cost of another modem.

computerpal

You're absorbing much higher power radio waves from FM/UHF/etc already in the air. Your microwave likely leaks more 2.4 GHz radiation than your wifi can put out from an EIRP perspective. Electricity wise you'd have to leave it on a couple of years to negate the cost of another modem.

Good point, I know I can't do anything about radio waves in the air but believe it or not I actually don't have have a microwave for precisely those reasons...