How to install Windows 10

Darren

Staff member
They aren't forcing you to use one drive. You can store your files anywhere you want. If you dont watch what you are doing you might accidentally save them under one drive though. I've done it by accident.
Defender actually gives you a yellow security warning for "Not protecting against Ransomware, back up files to OneDrive now."

Personally I love OneDrive but it can definitely be a hassle if you don't want to use it.

Jiniix

Some of the first things I do on a fresh install are uninstall OneDrive and disable all notifications. Not once have I been bothered by or felt forced to use OneDrive. All doable via GUI, no need for Shutup10 for this.

AlienMenace

Well, I should say being forced was a little strong, but when trying access something on my desktop and then trying to save it. It was a no go, saying one drive could not be found. And since I had it off. Had to start it up again to save the file.

Jiniix

It was a no go, saying one drive could not be found. And since I had it off. Had to start it up again to save the file.
That does sound a little like being forced tbh :) I haven't seen or used OneDrive since Windows 7, maybe 8, were the most current OS. I remember it creating a folder called OneDrive in your user root, alongside of Downloads, Documents etc. and being contained there. I could imagine the Win10 version being super botnetty and working everywhere though.

Well, I should say being forced was a little strong, but when trying access something on my desktop and then trying to save it. It was a no go, saying one drive could not be found. And since I had it off. Had to start it up again to save the file.

I my eyes that does look like you have been using OneDrive, and have sometime choosed to "save automatically to OneDrive"

Open OneDrive, in there you will se something like "save automatically" and in there you may untick the
"save automatically to OneDrive"

I personally prefer having my files saved to OneDrive since I dont care much for googles alternative..
A backup is always good to have!