HP vs Dell

Fure6

I would pick Dell any day out of HP. HP doesn't have any dependebilty over dell at all. Dell has sweet customer support also.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
vladimirbot said:
neither. toshiba, fujitsu and sony r the best!
toshiba: from what i have read and seen, they have a good quality, but can't keep up performance wise with systems of other manufacturers with equal specs.

fujitsu: my first and last experience with them is a HDD that died fairly quickly. :(

sony: loaded with features witch the average user will never need. does alright performance wise, but nowhere near the fastes. their laptops have a history of breaking. personally, i like the funky little sony laptops and desktops, however they are highly overpriced and overrated. you can get better systems for less money that will do the same thing or better.

honestly, if you really want a "great" system, you either will end up paying a good bit of money on a system from alienware, or another one of the untouchables, or you just have to build your own.

also, a general rull of thumb is not to buy from first tier company such as HP, Compaq, Micron and IBM. don't misunderstand me. IBM makes some really nice stuff, but i would never buy from them. reason, same thing as i said about sony.

someone mentioned gateway earlier in this thread. basically, their systems are kind of like a mail order HP system in my honest opinion. all of their systems i have seen and used, i have not been very impressed with. for the average internet user they would be fine though.

alright... that's all from me for now...

Watzzupp

dont u dare get a dell they are the sh*t*st pieces of cr*p i ve evr bought.

i got a dell dimension 4500 and its a 2.00ghz-they underclocked the processor and they lock the bios so u cant do anything 2 make it go faster.
so if u want 2 waste ure money , fine go ahead and buy it

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
1. Dont need customer service (if i need customer service, odds are the thing is so messed up its better of replacing it)... that's just me tho

2. Good products sell themselves based on their own merit. (i.e., if a product's main feature is tech support .... that's suspicious enough for me)

3. I'm rambling on. Ignore me. :p

Timbo

Product was good aswell. I was just saying that their customer service really sticks out. They call you and when it is being shipped etc.. and like my credit card billing address is different then my home address they called billing address, then called home make sure it wasn't fraud.. etc..

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Product was good aswell. I was just saying that their customer service really sticks out.
LOL ok... i just had the impression that the product's main sellling point was the customer service :p

Timbo

Ah yeah.. Kinda like how Kia * i think * advertises that they have the best warranty, and thats about it... I always laugh when I see those commercials..

RewtKidd

well personally i like dell over hp but i wouldn't buy a factory made pos... usually you end up better off reading a little and putting your own box together.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ALL AMD processors have a designation like 1800, 2500 etc.
Not "ALL" AMD processors :p Just the AthlonXPs (and beyond)

well personally I like dell over hp but I wouldn't buy a factory made pos... usually you end up better off reading a little and putting your own box together.
Yes but its not so feasible for mobiles yet (unfortunately)

Fure6

I'm having troubles with one of my friends HP computers actually. he wants me to fix it, but i need to take out the hard drive (long story) but i can't access the screws on the other side of the hard drive!! so i'm working on it right now and i can't get it. maybe i'll have to drill a hole.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
Praetor said:
Not "ALL" AMD processors :p Just the AthlonXPs (and beyond)
actually, AMD rated their K6 processors the same way. don't really remember how the ones before the K6 series were rated though. however, i do recall that cyrix did the same thing way back in the day. :)

SFR

Truth fears no questions
Rick G said:
Hey you forgot that wonderfull Dell support that comes straight from India

I have been buying dell computers for more than a few years.

I have bought 2 myself and my father is currently on his third.

I have needed technical support more than once on hardware and software issues(most recently I was having a problem with my media center)

I spent about 55 minutes the first time and an Indian lady was unable to help me. I was given the number of a media center technician from (I think) Australia and he was able to wrap up the issue within 45 minutes.

Lets be honest, in todays world, one and a half hours is NOT a long time for customer service.

I have nothing bad to say about Dell. You get a reliable machine with customers service - while you might not like the accent of the voice on the other end, the customer service - is still every good.

An acquaintance of mine who (way past his warranty) upgraded the bios on his notebook and fried the damn thing.

He sent the notebook in on a Thursday, they got the notebook on Friday, fixed it, and he got it back on Monday FREE of charge. (He might have had to pay shipping on the way to HP)

I personally have no qualms about either company. I love HP's servers and laser jets and Dell's workstations..

...yeah so I guess I just wasted my time with this post...

... hmmm I guess I should just press the Submit Reply button.

4W4K3

VIP Member
5 mins. of customer support is too long in my opinion. i hate talking on the phone, especially to people i can't understand or who always leave me hanging while they go ask somone else for the answer. online forums are MUCH more helpful for me, or jsut searching Google or some other search engine. If my mom has a problem with her compaq, i am her customer support (along with forums and google).

SFR

Truth fears no questions
well that is how I ended up finding out about this forum originally...

but there are times when technical support is a must (I.E. I had a problem with a motherboard a few years back and it was still under warranty and I needed to get it replaced.... while Praetor is amazing.... Praetor cant send me a new MOBO.) I spent about an hour on the phone and everything was taken care of.

I guess the problem is.. our generation has no PATIENCE.

I am a poker player and there is what we call the THREE P's Power, position and PATIENCE. In my opinion the way to get what you want out of a situation usually revolves around PATIENCE. Acting too quickly etc...

With a little patience I am usually able to solve almost any problem I face.

With reguard to customer service... a little patience never hurt.... hopefully all of us will live 80+ years... Out of over 42 million minutes ... is 60 really that important? ... ... ... ....

4W4K3

VIP Member
I do all RMA/Returns/Refunds online or in person (depending on where i bought it from) The phone never works for me. If the place i am considering purchasing from has no website, and is too far away for me to drive i do not buy from them (a store without a website is usually trash unless it is local anyways) Lots of small computer shops have no websites, but again they are usuaally local.

Patience isn't my problem, it's the fact that when i hang up the phone i am usually back where i started. Half the time they tell me that what "i" did to the hardware has voided the warranty (dropping my heatsink on mobo and wanting RMA) and they say they cant help. so i ended up fixing the mobo myself, and it works now.

Not all customer service is bad (OCZ has helped me 2X now, very fast, and very nice...but online). But i have had bad experience with DELL (Dell Axim X5 too over 3 months to get to my house after purchase), and over the phone they told me there was nothing they could do to speed up deliveries. I never bought a DELL product after that...ended up selling Axim to my mom for $300 so i could get a guitar lmao.