HP vs Dell

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
actually, AMD rated their K6 processors the same way. don't really remember how the ones before the K6 series were rated though. however, I do recall that cyrix did the same thing way back in the day
What i meant was that the PR and the Clock Speed were on par with each other. It was only until the AthlonXP line that AMD introduced this "+" notation (a bad choice because it presents the company mindset as "trying to equivicate themselves with Intel"). Consider the "Athlon K75 750" for instance, with a model number of 750 and a clock speed of 750MHz, everybody was happy. It was only until the AthlonXP 1500+ (which ran at 1.33GHz) that the confusion began

I guess the problem is.. our generation has no PATIENCE
I am a poker player and there is what we call the THREE P's Power, position and PATIENCE. In my opinion the way to get what you want out of a situation usually revolves around PATIENCE. Acting too quickly etc...
Yes but one could just as easily interpret the "lack of patience" as a manifestation of stupidity. Take for instance schooling ... what's with the use of calculators? Hell at a university level (Calc3) we dont even use calculators (arent allowed to but really you dont need them) .. this dependence on machines because peeps brains dont work fast enough manifests to "impatience" ... just a thought :p

With a little patience I am usually able to solve almost any problem I face.
Heehee yep. But again, (oh god today must be philisophy day), the ability to make "best decisions hastily" (or "under duress") can be taken to be a good thing :p

robina_80

all im going to say is DELL there so reliable saying that so are hps but dells are soooo nice take the XPS systems there really fast i mean really fast and there so nice to look at plus there really cheap

Last edited:

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
actually, many of the older k6 processors did have the + notation if i remember right. but then again, i guess it really doesn't matter in this day and age. lol

SFR

Truth fears no questions
robina_80 said:
all im going to say is DELL there so reliable saying that so are hps but dells are soooo nice take the XPS systems there really fast i mean really fast and there so nice to look at plus there really cheap

Okay.. they do look nice..

but really cheap? I know EVERYONE is MADE of money...

but after customizing it a little, it came out to $3,253 (US currency)... that doesnt seem "really cheap" to me.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
SFR said:
Okay.. they do look nice..

but really cheap? I know EVERYONE is MADE of money...

but after customizing it a little, it came out to $3,253 (US currency)... that doesnt seem "really cheap" to me.
lol... i can build something better or equivalent for less than half the cost and it can look anyway you please! :p

i don't want to put either one of these companies down, but they aren't all they are made out to be.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
zkiller said:
lol... i can build something better or equivalent for less than half the cost and it can look anyway you please!
zkiller said:
i don't want to put either one of these companies down, but they aren't all they are made out to be.

very true. The problem is many people do not have the time, skills or resources to build, troubleshoot and maintain a custom built machine. Technical service for computers is an entire industry all on its own... that is why companies like DELL and HP are thriving.

I have added a few parts to each of my computers.. but by and large I have no desire (time= money and all my time is spent making money) at this point to build a custom computer. At some point I will, but not now.

And for many other people the extra cost of a Dell or HP outweighs the potential complications you face with building a custom computer.

I agree a Dell and HP costs more but.. convenience costs extra.. and many people are willing to pay for it.

Last edited:

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
it may seem like a convenience at the time, but the time you spend on the phone with tech support, could have been better spend building a proper system which wouldn't need tech support in most case, and if it did, each part come with a guarantee and in most cases a 1-800 number to the manufacturers support or customer service hotline.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I would agree.

I recently was asked by my boss to recommend a DELL or HP to her. (for under $800) There is no way I am going to build her a computer and risk being called up at all hours of the night with problems. I found a Dell for $945 and she will be mighty happy with that machine.

I still have some bug in my brain that equates custom computers with REAL gamers and REAL audio/video NERDS.

I dont see ANY reason for an everyday home user to spend a lot of money on a computer.

Most people surf the net a little... watch a DVD or two.. play a few games and would never notice an increase in CPU speed.. or a little bit better video or sound card.. and on the sound thing: I will take my harman/kardon dvd player and receiver and my Infinity Primus speakers over ANY soundcard and computer speaker set.

Okay, to sum up my ranting and rambling:

Custom PC = computer user who will actually utilize and maximize the hardware put into the computer

DELL OR HP = everyday user who does not have the time or experience to be tinkering around with the innards of a computer.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
of course, a good home theater system is always much better than watching a movie on your pc. well, maybe not better, but in most cases better sounding and more comfortable. however, back when i got my first dvd-rom, i did not own a dvd player. so i got a mpeg decoder card and hooked that up to my tv and then hooked up my sound card to both my pc 2.1 speakers and my home stereo (i would just turn off which ever one i did not need at the time). this was a very nice setup for its time as well. but as of right now, the only problem with a dvd player is that it does not play many of the formats many of my movies are in. so, i watch a good amount of movies on my computer.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
zkiller said:
of course, a good home theater system is always much better than watching a movie on your pc. well, maybe not better, but in most cases better sounding and more comfortable. however, back when i got my first dvd-rom, i did not own a dvd player. so i got a mpeg decoder card and hooked that up to my tv and then hooked up my sound card to both my pc 2.1 speakers and my home stereo (i would just turn off which ever one i did not need at the time). this was a very nice setup for its time as well. but as of right now, the only problem with a dvd player is that it does not play many of the formats many of my movies are in. so, i watch a good amount of movies on my computer.
...thats why I spent $39 extra and bought XP MCE 2005 with my new comp... so far I have zero complaints.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
i guess you could say i built my own media center. i can play pretty much any format of audio and video in both winamp and media player, including real media files and quiktime. :p

ZER0X

VIP Member
Well to me i'd get a Compaq because they have been around for ages, nothings gone Extremely wrong with the one I've got, u just have to look after it and it will last and run like a charm :) Compaq is part of HP

I've never had a Dell so I can't compare the two, but if I would to buy one it'd be HP

SFR

Truth fears no questions
yeah I have two HP Compaq dc5000 MT and three Dell's.

All of them get the job done.. in their own unique way... (lol yes, I did refer to each computer as if it were a human.)

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
compaq has gotten much better since they merged with hp. the quality of older model compaq's was quite horrible. personally, i have never and probably will never purchase a computer from a 1st tier company, but in a coporate enviernment, that might be another story.

zkiller

<b>VIP Member</b>
SFR said:
yeah I have two HP Compaq dc5000 MT and three Dell's.

All of them get the job done.. in their own unique way... (lol yes, I did refer to each computer as if it were a human.)
i just noticed the quote in the very bottum of your sig, that's great!!! :D i'll have to remember that.

SFR

Truth fears no questions
OFF TOPIC sorry:

I dont want to offend anyone but heres another funny one:

Don't explain computers to laymen. Simpler to explain sex to a virgin. ~Robert A. Heinlein

Bobo

banned
zkiller said:
compaq has gotten much better since they merged with hp. the quality of older model compaq's was quite horrible. personally, i have never and probably will never purchase a computer from a 1st tier company, but in a coporate enviernment, that might be another story.

AMEN!!!

Get a HP/Compaq, dell doesnt offer AMD procs