Huge throttle on AMD FX 6300 Need Help

Fruchtschnitte

Disclaimer: English is not my main language. If i find errors i will correct them afterwards :D

Hello guys, so i build myself an new pc last year which had to be a bit cheaper and so i now finally upgraded the system to be an mid->low end gaming pc i guess.

So first of all here are my specs:

Graphic: Gforce GTX 960 4GB Stock OC
CPU: AMD FX 6300
CPU Cooling: CorsairHydro Series H80i GT 120mm
Thermal Paste Artic Silver 5
Motherboard: MSI 760GM-P23
Power: Be Quiet! CM BQT L8-630W

Some settings i made:
Windows Powermanagment to 100% use of CPU and such (aboslute Power Mode)
AMD Quiet n Cool: off
Corsair Link profile: performance
AMD Turbo Core: off
Ingame settings: rock bottom

So i had a very bad graphics card in my system thats why i always was on not so "heavy" games like hearthstone but since i have the new 960 now i try things like Overwatch or the Total War Warhammer but as soon as i start these "heavy" games i somewhat get weird infos on my system like:

Picture 1.png

So as you can see i reach an CPU Temp of 206Celsius?!
I highly doubt that this is true since right before i started Overwatch the Temp was about 35Celsius.

But since it shows me the high Temperature it also shows that all my CPU Cores are throttling down to like 1980 CPU -.-

So what should i do to not get kicked back to the early 80s?

Edit: The high Temp numbers not only show on Speccy its also on HW Monitor and Corsair Link.

The Throttle als gets shown on AMD Overdrive and i get massive FPS drops ingame when the thottle happens.

Second edit: Just updated Bios to newest but still no change multiplicator drops from 17,5 to 7 feels like middleage

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
Hi, welcome to the forum! Have you overclocked your CPU? If so, it sounds like you have an unstable overclock here, what kind of cooling are you using on your CPU? Sometimes the temperature readings for these AMD CPUs can be right off the scale. There's no way it's running at 206C but the FPS drops and poor performance(?) could be due to overheating or an unstable overclock.

Fruchtschnitte

Okay reinstalled drivers but its clearly the CPU which is causing the problems since its downclocking itself to 1,4 ghz like shown of foto and then the CPU goes to 100% while the graphics card is on 30% because i play on very low graphic settings.

Edit: dust is no problem.

Second edit: so after almost the whole day searching the internet i came across this.
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1696739/insane-fake-cpu-temp.html
IDK if im allowed to post this link (will remove if not) Since this is the same motherboard and almost the same CPU this maybe could be it.

So if the Motherboard only takes an set voltage is there a way to downclock things so i dont get the CPU throttle?

Like for nor i go from 3,5 ghz to 1,4ghz what i wanna know is if i can somehow downclock to like 3ghz and the right voltage to overcome the throttle from the MB?

I mean it would be an decrease in performance but 3ghz is still better then 1,4ghz i guess.

Last edited:

Intel_man

VIP Member
I'd try to reseat the CPU and the cooler itself. Then see if HW Monitor temps are normal.

Make sure you're not putting too much thermal paste on the IHS too.

Fruchtschnitte

Thanks for the replay Intel_man. I dont know if this would work, the watercooling got installed on the same day with the graphicscard so i was using stock cooling before with that i also achieved the high 206celsius numbers but i didnt care about it since i only began recently with AAA games and on browsergames i never had the throttle. Long story short problem existed before on the stock fan which got installed by an company. when i use my heat measure thing on top of the cpu its about 35Celsius so there is definetly and hardware/software error and the heat numbers shown on computer are 100% false.

Also i edited the post from above maybe this is helpfull.
(Dont want to spam everything here :D)

beers

Staff member
206C isn't valid and is reading an incorrect value.

Since you only exhibited the issue after installing the water cooling I'd re-paste and re-seat the block, also you might be able to tie the pump power into a molex as opposed to a BIOS controlled PWM fan header that might not supply enough power (or if the pump is even connected at all..).

Fruchtschnitte

Okay to be more clear i upgraded CPU->GPU+Watercooling the problem existed also with this CPU but the standart heatsink thich i replaced later on with watercooling. Pump is working (i sometimes hear bubbles getting loose)

Darren

Staff member
1.4GHz is the clock speed those chips throttle at when overheating. Do as @beers suggested and reinstall the CPU cooler block with fresh thermal paste.

Did you trying doing a CMOS clear on your BIOS?

Fruchtschnitte

Okay so my thermal paste is in my mothers house which i can visit tommorow for now i have to keep it as it is but maybe we can have a look in to the link i postet some posts up?

Fruchtschnitte

So to add some new things into this topic
Picture 2.jpg

My corsair Link shows me 78Celsius on my Motherboard which i think may be more accuarate then the 206Celsius from my CPU.
Is it possible that the Motherboard does not get enough Air because of some airflow problems and trottle my CPU down to keep itself alive?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 4

Darren

Staff member
The 78oC is likely the VRM's or maybe Northbridge temp. The Package temp for the CPU is what's at play when considering your CPU temperatures. I'd guess your VRMS are overheating (78oC at 3/4 load is pretty high) and throttling like hell. That CPU voltage also looks kind of low.

My previous board, MSI 970A G45 had pretty terrible VRM cooling and when it would get unstable (due to overclocking) it would just instantly max the temp sensor to tell itself it was overheating (even though it wasn't) and then downclock as a result. You need a different board I think as that appears to be the same thing happening here.

How's your in case airflow? That should help. The reason it started with the 960 installation is probably because it throws off way more heat than what was in there before.

Darren

Staff member
Ugh, I hate it when vendors cheap out on VRM cooling.
To be fair, that's a pretty bottom of the barrel motherboard. But I agree, my MSI board was unstable at even stock clocks with my 8320 using Prime95. Even MSI themselves have backpedaled on that board being 8 core support.

Fruchtschnitte

hmm so i guess i have two options
1: Buy new motherboard
2: buy new case for better airflow

maybe 3: whats wrong with the volt of my CPU? It should have factory setings...

Intel_man

VIP Member
To be fair, that's a pretty bottom of the barrel motherboard. But I agree, my MSI board was unstable at even stock clocks with my 8320 using Prime95. Even MSI themselves have backpedaled on that board being 8 core support.
I'm lucky in the sense that my X58 board comes with a gigantic VRM heatsink. lol

Doesn't even break a sweat under heavy OC.