Huge throttle on AMD FX 6300 Need Help

beers

Staff member
OP you can see if you can disable 2 of the cores in BIOS and try playing with a 4 core/2 module setup to rule out power consumption. If you still get the same chuggy behavior then it's likely more thermal related.

Darren

Staff member
I think the voltage is low because it's downclocked, so don't worry about it actually.

Can we get a picture of the inside of your case and get a gauge for how airflow works?

Fruchtschnitte

Picture 4.jpgRight side cool air in Left side Warm Air out (double checked arrows on fans to be 100% sure ^^)
Also cable managment seems bit messy on this camera angle but they are all zip tied to the case.

I just tried again playing with some settings and it seems like using windows power saving mode while limiting the CPU to 70% seems to stop the throttle and i dont get any 206Celsius anymore (whole system now sits on 25-30C on Idle and arround 40C when i play games on but the motherboard still sits on 75-80Celsius)

So i guess for now its okay since i am anyway more of FPS then graphics kind of player.
Guess then Upgrade plan for my PC just changed from adding SSD to getting new i7+decent board with actually cooling and maybe new case for better airflow.

Edit: okay it just happened again but it seems more rare then without saving mode so think it will be okay till i can afford new hardware.

Last edited:

Okedokey

Just reapply thermal paste properly, and wack a fan pointing towards the motherboard. 120mm fan will work fine.

Federacion

I have the exactly same build and yes it sucks but you can make it rock stable at least at stock using these few changes and settings:

1. Get a (cheap) aftermarket cpu cooler. I use Arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 (18 euros at my country)
2. Update your bios https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/760GM-P23-FX.html#down-bios
3. Disable at your bios:
OC genie
Turbo mode
APM (Application Power Management)
Cool ‘n’ Quiet
Core C6 State
C1E
4. Don't OC
5. Change voltages to:
CPU voltage 1.135
NB voltage 1.135
everything else auto.