i bet my system is the oldest

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
Ahhhhhh commodore64 I remember my Ol Comodore64 like it where yesterday. It was a good upgrade from my Coco2 (I think that spelling is correct) It where from radio shack and was out around or before Commodore64. This thing used a tape deck to save things on and to load your programs from. You could also purchase some games via a cartridge that inserted in the back. It had no monitor but hooked up to the T.V real well :D. Just a big fat keyboard much like the C64 (everything was built into it) and then a tape recorder for the drive. Ahhhhhhhhhhhh memories.

Edit:

I believe this was it http://www.tcp.com/~lgreenf/cocopage.htm

jesbax

the first computer i owned was apple IIe and the next computer i owned was a power mac 6116 powerpc then went to compact pc with 66mhz cpu with 8 megs ram then i went to amd 1ghz with 512 megs custom built then to then to 2 ghz p4 with 1 gig ram then to my present pc. i still have all but the apple IIe. I gave it to my brother for a wedding present.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
does or has anyone ever had a commodore 64(i think that is what its called)??
Yep got one of them too

Hehe anyone have a Z80? or a 6808 based box? Any Tandy1000 users out there? heh

vortmax

thereckerdbraikr said:
well if it was 1 mhz processor 23 years ago and now its like....4 Ghz for major oc that means that it was multiplied 4x1024....4096 times....now imagine if we could multiply todays 4 ghz porcessor speed by 4096......thats 16384 Ghz which comes out to be

drumroll.....

16 tetrahertz
wow thats alot

or you could just say that we will gain another 4 gigs in the future, but im sure we will be way past 8 ghz in 23 years.....

its always fun to speculate.......even if i am using crapp logic :)

your logic is wrong. Processor speed has not increased linerally. It's been exponential. We went from 1 Ghz to 2 GHz to 3 GHz in less time then it took to go from 100 MHz to 500MHz. If i wanted to I could plot out when the pentiums came out versus time and get a regression curve to extrapolate processor speed in the future, but that's just too much work.

I still have a working IBM PS1 486SX with 4 whole megs of ram. It could be upgraded to 8 megs for a few hundred dollars. Ran windows 3.1 (best OS EVER!).

Lax

VIP Member
Yep got one of them too

I personally don't have either but I have a friend who is an extensive user of the older machines (still uses his tandy I believe). Right now I think his favorite is his Trash-80

4W4K3

VIP Member
Lord AnthraX said:
I personally don't have either but I have a friend who is an extensive user of the older machines (still uses his tandy I believe). Right now I think his favorite is his Trash-80

Just for nostalgia...or does he actually have a purpose for using them? That'd be cool to actually find an efficient use for such an outdated machine in your day to day schedule lol.

shupola

Praetor said:
Yep got one of them too

damn is praetor like super computer genius or what man? :)

Lax

VIP Member
Just for nostalgia...or does he actually have a purpose for using them? That'd be cool to actually find an efficient use for such an outdated machine in your day to day schedule lol.
Pretty sure he still uses them for stuff. I know for a fact he still uses his old DEC alpha's.

Super_Nova

My first PC, a 16Mhz 386SX is still in the attic and still runs just as good as ever. Complete with it's 40meg hard drive and 4MB of RAM. It originally came with 1MB of RAM but I upgraded it to it's max. S

Somewhere up there is a motherboard for a 10Mhz 286 but I don't think it works.

Super_Nova

Praetor said:
Yep got one of them too

A Z80 huh? Does my Gameboy, Sega Master system or Gamegear count? :D

SFR

Truth fears no questions
I still have many of the parts to my first computer, A Cybermax 486 (Cybermax went out of business in 1999 or '02) 33Mhz, 8MB RAM... wow that thing was great! ... at the time all that was around was CompuServe (way before aol bought them)... good times :rolleyes: ...

drunkbum222

tex said:
dell dimension 350 (mhz that is) pentium II, yeah baby 288mb ram 8mb video.

can anyone beat that. (thinks to self.... would anyone want to?) :D

64 mb ram 1.6 AMD duron and a 16mb graphic card. Thats the family computer. Played diablo 2 well.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
I had a Pentium 75 system with a 512KB video card and 8MB of RAM. It is now an Evergreen 233MMX (yeah baby!) with same video card and 40MB of RAM.