I changed my IP address, but have no internet connection now.

ironpony

I change my IP address to get rid of a crazy ex. But now I have no internet. I tried looking this up on other websites that explain what to do and tried all their solutions but nothing works and still no internet. Does anyone know what to do about this?

ironpony

Thanks for responding. I have a windows 7 computer, sorry I forgot to say. I changed the IP address using this instructional video:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You do realize that only your internet service provider can change your IP address that is visible to the outside world? Sometimes unplugging your modem and then plug it back in can do it as well. If you are behind a router, then you would have to enter an IP address that is within the range of your router addresses given out. But again, this will only change your internal IP address not the address the outside world sees. I would suggest going back into the adapter settings and change it back to obtain IP automatically.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
To whatever it was before you changed it. 99 percent of the time. its obtain ip automatically. Really the only reason to manually set a different IP is when you want to assign static IP's to your internal pc's. Your External IP is assigned by your internet service provider.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As I said, just try checking the box that says "obtain IP automatically". 99 percent of the time this is what it will be. You always get it automatically unless you are assigning static IP's to all your PC's in the home. Which I doubt you do.

ironpony

Okay thanks, but I tried that twice already, based on solutions I read before, and tried again now, and there is still no internet connection. Is there any hidden catch to it that I am missing?

beers

Staff member
If you have a router and changed your PC's address then no bueno. Your router does what's called NAT which translates between the outside and your internal network. Changing your host's address to something outside of your internal network will break connectivity.

The easiest way to get a new IP is to do a MAC clone to something random on the router's WAN interface (such as your PC's MAC). When your router requests another IP from your provider it will have a different MAC binding therefore offering you a new address in the majority of cases.

Sometimes this also requires a router and modem reboot.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Did you change the dns server settings at all? Those must be set back to obtain dns server address automatically as well. Do you have antivirus/firewall program installed that may be blocking internet activity until you allow it? You could do a system restore back to a day before you change the settings and it should restore your internet.

ironpony

Oh I am not sure. I did some research and it looks like I did not touch the DNS server settings. Should I have?

I have been working on editing a video for someone since I do video editing. If I do a system restore for a day, will that effect the editing I did yesterday?

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It might. I need you to run something and post the results.

Open a command prompt and type ipconfig then hit enter. A screen shot will work as well.

ironpony

Okay thanks, I can do that. But I am having trouble getting the screenshot onto this site now. The image on this site only seems to accept URLs.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Looks to me like you have wireless and ethernet connection but only getting proper IP using wireless. How are you access internet? Wireless or ethernet cable?

ironpony

Right now I am using my friend's wi-fi, temporarily, but before this happened, I was using an ethernet cable. I would like to reconnect to the ethernet cable of course :), but that's the trouble I've been having.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
So you are having to connect to someone else's wifi to get online? Do you have any other pc's in your house, Do they have internet?