I changed my IP address, but have no internet connection now.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure you didn't change any other setting? Try uninstalling the network adapter and reinstalling it. That will reset all network settings. Other then that, I have no idea what else to tell you.

I just checked the your ipconfig screenshot again and noticed the subnet mask is set wrong. It should read 255.255.255.0 not 255.255.0.0

Can you post a screenshot of your network adapter properties info. Make sure the ipv4 and ipv6 is set to obtain an ip address automatically. The reason I'm saying this is that on ethernet you are getting an ipv4 address but wireless you are getting an IPV6 address. You've got a wrong setting somewhere.

ipv4.jpg

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Chances are, if what John has above doesn't work, you can look at the same adapter settings on the working PC and work out what the IP should be.

ironpony

Oh okay thanks. I also entered the subject mask like the tutorial said to, should I have not have done that?

Also when you say 'adapter', do you mean the modem?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
also entered the subject mask like the tutorial said to, should I have not have done that?
Probably not. Setting both to automatic should work.

When I say adapter I mean the same windows dialog for your nic, not your modem/router.

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
If you make yours the same as the working one it should be fine, unless you have statically defined internal IPs. In which case, increment the last IP address part to an unused address.

ironpony

Oh okay, you are saying that if I type in the same address that is in my command prompt, then I shouldn't have lost the internet connection?

Cromewell

Administrator
Staff member
Not quite.

I'm saying the working machine has a template to follow for the settings that will work. The only thing you need to be careful with is the IP address field, if it is not set to automatically obtain.

ironpony

Oh okay thanks. I tried clicking on the setting it automatically, but when I do that, it does not work. After I will try to reconnect, and then error 651 comes up. I read several ways to bypass the error before, but none of them have worked. What should I do then?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
I would just suggest uninstalling the network driver, reboot and then reinstall it. This will reset all network settings back to default.

ironpony

Oh okay, but network driver, do you mean the modum? Cause I already unplugged and reset the modum and I still get error 651. Unless you do not mean the modum?

Last edited:

ironpony

Oh okay, but I don't think the driver can be uninstalled, can it? There are the drivers that USB cables plut into but since this is a CAT plug in, I cannot find a driver for it, in the list.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Yes it can be uninstalled. Can you tell me what motherboard you have if it's a custom built PC or what model of pc you have if store bought? Go into device manager under network adapters and tell me what entries it has.

ironpony

Okay thanks. It's custom built since I have it that way to use for video editing and graphics design. It's a windows 7 though, if that helps?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
All I need to know is what model of motherboard it has in it to get you the correct ethernet driver.

ironpony

Okay, thanks, I looked around but cannot find the model number. Is there any place on the computer I would find it?