I found out that 52x isn't the fastest. Should I get a 56x?

ADE

banned
OK, I hate loading screens and I'm sure you do too. If you play games like FEAR then you most likily know the CD has secure ROM protection which means you can't use a vertual drive. So vetual drives are out of the question. Knowing this CD speed means a lot. Does anyone think it would be a good idea to get a 56x and do you think it would see better resolts than a 52x?

ADE

banned
well, I just did a little research and I found that the normal data rate for 52x is about 7mb/s, and that for a 56x is about 8mb/s and can burst at 33mb/s. BUt what I also look for is access time. Can someone tell me if 90ms access time is good? If not, then is 80ms good?-(access time)

Bobo

banned
Like I said, you are not going to notice a difference in game playing. The CD speed has almost no affect on the game play, as long as it is above around 20x.

bball4life

Like I said, you are not going to notice a difference in game playing. The CD speed has almost no affect on the game play, as long as it is above around 20x.
Ya your cd drive is working that hard when it is running a game off of a cd. And when it comes to loading maps and stuff the loading speed is affected by your hard drive speed and sometimes even how much ram you have.

bball4life

i thong the speed is more for writting..... reading is far easier.
Ya, I believe that is normally when people refer to their speeds, however cd and dvd drives also have read speeds, which normally are about the same as their write speeds if they have that capability.

dave597

VIP Member
lol j/k it would be better to get a quieter drive for listening to audio cds and 52x is fast enough for ripping

ChrisDVD

ya. its works well. its an 8 year old PC, so it did quite good its job. but it can't live witout the drive i have now, its way more useful lol.

Geoff

VIP Member
The CD Drive in modern games is only used for the install of the game, and used to make sure that you have the correct CD in when you play the game. It doesn't load files from the CD when you startup a game or go to the next level, it's copying files from the Hard Drive. And as bobo said, the difference between 52x and 56x is almost not even noticable.

ADE

banned
OK, well I do TONS of ripping with any format of CD. If I dod 700MB at one time, it would be like 40 Seconds faster to have 56x than a 52x right?

Geoff

VIP Member
OK, well I do TONS of ripping with any format of CD. If I dod 700MB at one time, it would be like 40 Seconds faster to have 56x than a 52x right?

If you have media that can be read/written at 56x speeds... then hypothetically, yes.

ADE

banned
Thats odd... I thought that a CD can be read at any speed, it just depends on how fast the Drive can read... so I thoght. Although, 56x has been out for years (about 4 to my knolage).

ADE

banned
OOOOHHHHHHH. Now ya tell me :rolleyes: The 56x drives are only CD-ROM. :D Sorry I didn't say earlier. I used to use a 56x (best thing that happened to mediocre upgrades) But then I got a MAD DOG DVD-RW and when I tried to burn a RW DVD, it wouldn't work. had to sacrifice my beloved 56x. But now I'm on the hunt for a new one that will not cause conflicts. :)