I hate Mozilla Firefox. Come get me!

JTM

In case you are a step ahead of me, I would suggest then going to Youtube and trying to watch a video ( you will be prompted that Java is not enabled or you don't have flash). A dialog box should soon appear after you click get flash. It won't automatically install, so you have to click "manual install". This will then bring you to Adobe's site where you download the flash player to your desktop. Once downloaded go to your desktop and run the exe (should take seconds). Re-start Firefox and you should be good for playing videos and seeing ads etc.

The reason I want you to do it through Youtube is so that I know you are using the most current and correct version of Flash.

/\E

Opera is probably best, it's a lightened version of Firefox. But they are using a lawsuit in France against Microsoft that was used here in the US years ago. So in my opinion, Opera is pretty whiny.

Firefox is my choice, but it's too heavy sometimes. That's why you see lightweight versions of Firefox like Chrome, Opera, and Iceweasel for light Linux distros.

Chrome is installed on my machine, and I'm using it right now. It's a little bit faster than Firefox but it has awful crash control. Sometimes if it hits a bad script the browser will just lock and crash itself.

Internet Explorer is the standard because Microsoft gets that right to bundle it "inside" the operating system. But, Internet Explorer is not the web developer's choice because IE sucks at displaying CSS styles. I really don't think IE is all that friendly either but that's coming from a Mac/Linux user.

Safari is okay, but I fail to understand how Apple can bundle it inside their OS when Microsoft can't with IE. Maybe it's something with the proprietary-esque design of Apple's systems including hardware and software. Anyway, Safari is just bad, it would freeze out of nowhere on me. And it would happen more and more, and the only solution I have heard is to reinstall Safari. I don't even think Safari has any way of implementing a phishing filter. I remember my Computer Systems instructor saying something about it and how most "retarded" Mac users think it's golden(he's a Linux fan). Most Mac users install Firefox from what I have seen.

Btw, putting Safari on a PC is like putting IE on a Mac. Don't do that, you'd be asking for problems.

sun_kissed_0

I'm going to reinstall Firefox and see if I have the same problems. If I do not right away have flash player than I will do the installation of that again. I did manually install before and it didnt give me an option of where I could install it, it only said "save file" or "cancel" which is why it was so weird because I have never seen that option before. But I'll try some things out. Thanks for all the help guys, I was just frustrated and hungry before. I'm good now though :p

gamerman4

I'd recommend uninstalling firefox with revo uninstaller then going in you application data folder and remove the firefox profile, this should remove any and all traces and the new install should be completely fresh.

sun_kissed_0

I went to disk clean up and then "installed programs" and uninstalled it, which to me seems like the right way to uninstall something.
You know what it looks like it's doing? Saving the installation package for flash player. Now I just need to find it in my computer and open it. I can't find it though. Just to let everyone know I'm doing this right I'll put up screen shots of how I installed it.

sun_kissed_0

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

There. Now let see if I'm the one that's wrong.

JTM

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

There. Now let see if I'm the one that's wrong.

You seem to have done it correctly. I see you have downloaded it 9 times :D. The next step is to go to where you saved the .exe (most likely your desktop). Once you find the .exe, run it and let it install (should take seconds). It will prompt you saying that it installed, then you can close out. Reboot Firefox and see if flash videos work.

-Also a little advice, you don't need to go into "other operating systems", most of the time it will configure to your setup, so you can simply hit "agree and install". Hope this helps, if anything is unclear let me know.

sun_kissed_0

The problem is though, I have no idea where it installed my .exe! It is not on my desktop. Thats why I said I was looking for it. :(
Unless someone can tell me where to look I doubt I'll have any luck...

gamerman4

if the item is still in the firefox download box, you can right click on it and click "open containing folder" which will open up a window to the location of the download

Sean89

tools > options > main tab >

32910383.png

If it has anything other than desktop browse for your desktop :)

Don't hate on firefox either.

JTM

The problem is though, I have no idea where it installed my .exe! It is not on my desktop. Thats why I said I was looking for it. :(
Unless someone can tell me where to look I doubt I'll have any luck...

So I was right, it was a user error :D Find the .exe through the above method, double click the download or change it to download to desktop and install.

sun_kissed_0

if the item is still in the firefox download box, you can right click on it and click "open containing folder" which will open up a window to the location of the download
Thank you!!
tools > options > main tab >

32910383.png

If it has anything other than desktop browse for your desktop :)

Don't hate on firefox either.
Well it has been a pain. And thank you for the help!
So I was right, it was a user error :D Find the .exe through the above method, double click the download or change it to download to desktop and install.
It's been somewhat my fault, but I think Mozilla is more to blame because what if a grandma or... my mom wanted firefox (she's not too good at figuring things out on the computer). She wouldn't know how to do this stuff. I'm not familiar with firefox so I didn't know how to do this either. I wasn't even sure what the problem was at first. Firefox shouldn't be so complicated so that it's compatible with more users.
Why should I have to open the folder in the first place? It should download normally. -1 Mozilla
If I get this to work though I might keep firefox because it seems like it's worth the work.

sun_kissed_0

Hallelujah!! IT WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ahh. Now I can enjoy firefox. :)
Thanks everyone for all your help.
My settings were set to place all my downloads in the "download" folder lmao. my god.
I can finally watch videos:
[YT]ntMhjfMRRSo[/YT]
I honestly do not understand why that video has so many views and such a high rating. I'm like wtf it's just a puppy!
It is kinda funny though. The other dog is like wanting to makeout

JTM

Thank you!!

Well it has been a pain. And thank you for the help!

It's been somewhat my fault, but I think Mozilla is more to blame because what if a grandma or... my mom wanted firefox (she's not too good at figuring things out on the computer). She wouldn't know how to do this stuff. I'm not familiar with firefox so I didn't know how to do this either. I wasn't even sure what the problem was at first. Firefox shouldn't be so complicated so that it's compatible with more users.
Why should I have to open the folder in the first place? It should download normally. -1 Mozilla
If I get this to work though I might keep firefox because it seems like it's worth the work.

It was simple mechanics of a computers file system. Most grandmas would buy a pre-built and use IE or they would use Firefox and never know how to get flash working:D

I'm glad you finally got it working and I hope you learned a couple things, (not trying to be rude, I really hope you learned). Enjoy the great browser, I'm sure the benefits of it will overcome the pain it was to install:D.

sun_kissed_0

Lol I think they will. It seems like a good browser. I can't believe I didn't think about going into options and seeing where the files download to. I know how to do that with my music downloader so I don't know why I didn't think of the same thing.
Eh
O Well.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Opera is probably best, it's a lightened version of Firefox. But they are using a lawsuit in France against Microsoft that was used here in the US years ago. So in my opinion, Opera is pretty whiny.

Firefox is my choice, but it's too heavy sometimes. That's why you see lightweight versions of Firefox like Chrome, Opera, and Iceweasel for light Linux distros.

Chrome is installed on my machine, and I'm using it right now. It's a little bit faster than Firefox but it has awful crash control. Sometimes if it hits a bad script the browser will just lock and crash itself.

Internet Explorer is the standard because Microsoft gets that right to bundle it "inside" the operating system. But, Internet Explorer is not the web developer's choice because IE sucks at displaying CSS styles. I really don't think IE is all that friendly either but that's coming from a Mac/Linux user.

Safari is okay, but I fail to understand how Apple can bundle it inside their OS when Microsoft can't with IE. Maybe it's something with the proprietary-esque design of Apple's systems including hardware and software. Anyway, Safari is just bad, it would freeze out of nowhere on me. And it would happen more and more, and the only solution I have heard is to reinstall Safari. I don't even think Safari has any way of implementing a phishing filter. I remember my Computer Systems instructor saying something about it and how most "retarded" Mac users think it's golden(he's a Linux fan). Most Mac users install Firefox from what I have seen.

Btw, putting Safari on a PC is like putting IE on a Mac. Don't do that, you'd be asking for problems.

I wasn't going to post on this thread but then ran across your post....so I uh had to.

1) Chrome is a webkit browser, just like Safari, under the hood they are the same browser

2) Safari has anti phishing abilities

3) Ice Weasel is firefox repackaged with a different name to comply with Debian support on certain software licensing. It is now known as Ice Cat though. The only difference is that they took out the copyrighted firefox artwork.

4) technically IE is bundled into Windows. Open up your hard drive and in the file path menu at the top of the window type in a web address and it will take you there. It is fully integrated into the OS and has been since Win98, they just got sued for forcing their users to only use IE.

I am not a huge fan of safari myself, mainly because of the lack of plug ins and third party add ons, however, safari 4 beta is damn nice eye candy for sure.

dubesinhower

i don't mean to sound harsh here, but honestly those sound like either problems with CF, or you.

everybody gets the white screen once in awhile, way back before you joined it was much much worse, it happened on an almost consistent basis for me. eventually ian switched CF to a new hosting provider i believe.

not being able to get flash player to work isn't firefox's fault, it may be your computer, or maybe you aren't doing something right. mozilla didn't purposely make firefox to not work with flash player, and it's not a very common problem.

to conclude this, firefox really isn't horrible, just because you are having issues with it doesn't mean you should just give up on it. give it a chance, try to figure out the errors, don't just downgrade to IE because you're angry with firefox.

i think the problem is between the desk and the chair.