I need help finding a new motherboard.

Sargon_Starblade

I had an Alienware X51 R2. I was having an issue with the screen shutting off in the middle of gaming. I looked around on various forums and found out they have heat issues. I decided to scavenge the parts and put them into a larger tower. Unfortunately, I cannot make heads or tails of the motherboard, so I need to get a new one.

So the components I have are:
2 8G DDR3 Ram 1600 MHz
Intel Core i7 (4th Gen) 4770 / 3.4 GHz LGA1150 Socket
nVidia GTX760 Ti OEM

I need a motherboard that can utilize these components and still be able to be upgraded later with 2 better video cards and more ram. Any recommendations?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The problem you'll have is that the OEM license won't reactivate using a new motherboard. You'll need a new copy of windows. My advice would be to build new with latest tech. Socket 1150 is just about dead.

Agent Smith

If you're in the U.S. all you need to do is go to Newegg.com and search for LGA 1150 motherboards. Then compare your prices with pcpartpicker.com.

Sargon_Starblade

The problem you'll have is that the OEM license won't reactivate using a new motherboard. You'll need a new copy of windows. My advice would be to build new with latest tech. Socket 1150 is just about dead.

But the OEM is in the Graphics Card name? How would that require me to get a new copy of windows?

I do not have the money to build new, which is why I am trying to use what I have and upgrade components later.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It all depends on what support person you talk to and how lenient they are. Did it have windows 10 on it and did you login using your MS account? If so, its highly possible that you just need to login using your ms account and it might reactivate. I know mine did when I built a new system.

Sargon_Starblade

It all depends on what support person you talk to and how lenient they are. Did it have windows 10 on it and did you login using your MS account? If so, its highly possible that you just need to login using your ms account and it might reactivate. I know mine did when I built a new system.

It is Windows 8.1 and I did log in using my MS account.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You can try that then, should work the same. I did try looking for socket 1150 boards on newegg.com and they are getting kinda scarce. They were mainly microatx and only 2 memory slots. Might have to look on ebay or similar.

Intel_man

VIP Member
Scavenge eBay for a used mobo. Don't buy "new" for a 1150 socket board unless they go for as much as new.

beers

Staff member
Not sure about 8 but on Windows 10 if you have the key bound to your account you can just freely move it between completely different systems.

1150 stuff isn't manufactured anymore so you'll have to scavenge either what stock is left, buy used or second hand 'new', or change to a different platform.

Darren

Staff member
Not sure about 8 but on Windows 10 if you have the key bound to your account you can just freely move it between completely different systems.

1150 stuff isn't manufactured anymore so you'll have to scavenge either what stock is left, buy used or second hand 'new', or change to a different platform.

From 8 onward they've handled activation pretty much the same so yeah if you signed into your MS account with it activated you can transfer it.

Agent Smith

I do not have the money to build new, which is why I am trying to use what I have and upgrade components later.

Better be careful about saying that in them here parts. "Drunk", aka, Beers might jump on your ass and proudly proclaim he makes more money than you.

Last edited:

beers

Staff member
Nah, that's just towards you since you actively choose to be a ƒuckstick. Apparently it bothers you enough that you're still talking about it.

Board suggestion wise it's pretty much what you can find. I had/have a Z97-UD3H that was/is pretty decent that's in my fileserver. Z97 or Z87 are realistically what you'd want if you really want dual GPUs.

H97 or H87 boards aren't bad but won't come with that second large PCIe slot for the extra GPU. Single card setups are generally a lot more consistent.

Last edited:

Agent Smith

My bad, I'm a dumb guy, my world view is limited.

I'll try to improve although I am genetically predisposed to underachieve. I can't even stay on topic most of the time. Something is wrong with me inside, I'm sorry.

Please be patient with my disability.

Now onto the OP's question. Do you know the way to San Jose? Well, eBay? You can find a ton, AND I MEAN a ton of computer crap there. In fact, I bought the CPU in my Sig on there for dirt cheap. I made a gamble with that though and won. I plan on buying a 6700k later on to increase my single core thread power for FSX.

Last edited by a moderator:

beers

Staff member
My bad, I'm a dumb guy, my world view is limited.

I'll try to improve although I am genetically predisposed to underachieve. I can't even stay on topic most of the time. Something is wrong with me inside, I'm sorry.

Please be patient with my disability.
It's cool bro just chill.

Agent Smith

Last edited by a moderator: Yesterday at 11:28 AM

Nice edit brah. You go on ahead and be the dipshit you are now.

My original post:

Nah, that's just towards you since you actively choose to be a ƒuckstick. Apparently it bothers you enough that you're still talking about it.

I'm not a "ƒ-bomb." You think I am because you simply disagree on my unorthodox methods and reasons to how I do things. So it is you that's the "ƒ-bomb" for calling me one all over disagreement.

You're not winning any prizes by bragging about your income, and it makes you look like a ƒ-bomb by doing so. You're not as smart as you think you are. You may know a little more in the terms of networking, but I assure you that you know jack shit about P25, what or SID or STAR is in aviation or how to properly secure a website.

You, and I think others have constantly mocked my use of a FTP server at home, yet it's been fantastic in quickly transferring files between my phone and other computers, and transfer files between computer to computer without pulling out a USB thumb drive. I guess I should say it's really a SFTP server to satisfy your need for absolute use of terminology?

I can build, diagnose and upgrade computers. And this ƒ-bomb has no need for a PC repair business to fix my issues. In fact, I run such a tight ship rarely do I ever have a computer issue like all the other "ƒ-bomb's" that I try to help here. I often just shake my head in computer forum after computer forum with their BS issues and wonder just how the hell you managed to screw something up that bad?

And I'm here to tell you your ƒ-bombness over at Overclock.net is showing and you have no idea who I am.

Apparently it bothers you enough that you're still talking about it.

It doesn't bother me since I'm neither envious or greedy. But when someone pulls on my cape I hit them back to the 1000th power and won't stop. So continue on, because every time I find the opportunity like I have here, I'll be sure to expose your ƒ-bombness on the overwhelming desire to try and mock me based on your income.

Now be a good little online webbug and bug off. You are really are nothing more than a pixel. A pixel that for some reason chose to follow my profile here on this forum using the shityist platform EVER called Xenforo.

ZGdKYJk.jpg

Last edited:

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Damn bro you're salty af. 'Motherboard recommendation' totally sounds like the right place, I'm sure @Sargon_Starblade appreciates your incoherent rambling.

Wrong timestamp, someone else. @johnb35 could probably comment.
It's called merging his double posts on a daily basis. He needs to learn on how to edit instead of creating new. Owns his own forum and still don't edit posts.