I need help!! Virus on Laptop

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you have no personal files that you want to keep then there is no need to back up anything. The cd will do everything for you, just follow the prompts. However, you will need to install the balance of the drivers that xp doesn't have on the cd. Usually video, sound, lan, wireless, depending on the model of computer you have.

insanepyro36

If you have no personal files that you want to keep then there is no need to back up anything. The cd will do everything for you, just follow the prompts. However, you will need to install the balance of the drivers that xp doesn't have on the cd. Usually video, sound, lan, wireless, depending on the model of computer you have.

and how is that accomplished?

insanepyro36

bkribbs

so thats it? after i do all that my lap top should be like new??

Yes, all of the virus problems will be gone. I know you asked what virus program we reccommended a little while ago, but I still want to tell you what I like. I love Microsoft Security Essentials. It is free, has live protection, and is from a reliable company(Microsoft). I would give it a shot.

Good Luck with the new install. If you need help with anything afterwards, please let us know, and we will do all we can to help.

insanepyro36

i finally got the cd and i am trying to install it now it is asking me if i want to set up windows xp now, press enter

or

to repair a windows xp installation using recovery consolde press R

which do i do?

bkribbs

i finally got the cd and i am trying to install it now it is asking me if i want to set up windows xp now, press enter

or

to repair a windows xp installation using recovery consolde press R

which do i do?

Hit Enter. That will erase the entire hard drive, and you will start fresh.

insanepyro36

Hit Enter. That will erase the entire hard drive, and you will start fresh.

okay thanks sorry i dont mean for you guys to walk me step by step but i want to make sure i do it right the first time now it is asking me..

the following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer

and one thing pops up it says

C: Partition1 (NTFS) i press D to delete correct?

airlift123

Why do all that.

I have had a few viruses in the past with afew of my computers and what I do and it allways fixs the problem. Go to the the factory recovery. That is out of the box state and do a clean install. Save any of your files on a disk if you want to. It takes an hour to do it but the system will be CLEAN. I can run you through it if you want.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
If you only want one partition then install to that one, if you want to make 2 partitions then you make a small OS and program partition and then make one for your data. What size hard drive do you have?

insanepyro36

If you only want one partition then install to that one, if you want to make 2 partitions then you make a small OS and program partition and then make one for your data. What size hard drive do you have?

okay i finished installing windows but now i am having trouble connecting to the interent to install the other links you gave me, so what do i do?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You will have to download those files onto a usb flash drive or cd and transfer them to the other computer.

insanepyro36

You will have to download those files onto a usb flash drive or cd and transfer them to the other computer.

it seems to not be working properly tho i put them onto a flash drive, but they wont open on the computer it says it needs internet to knwo what program created them