I should know this.

wolfeking

banned
Ok, here's the sit. rep.

I have ~26 GB of data transferring from one laptop to another. It says it has ~10-11 Hours left. Well I need the destination laptop at school in ~4 hours.

Plan:
Is there a way to pause the transfer?
If not, when I hit cancel, will all the previously transferred data stay on the destination machine? And if so, will I have to retransfer all of it, or will i get one of those "that folder is already there" style messages at when I restart it, and just skip all of the ones that complete the transfer in the allotted time?

Briilee

Another copy client would be needed.
I use Teracopy, which not only supports pausing but also gives a slight increase in transfer speeds.
I believe Teracopy only supports Windows though.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
+1 for TeraCopy. Much better than any normal copy indicator, as it lets you pause and also lists everything and allows you to skip files that error out compared to canceling the transfer and not knowing what copied and what didn't.

wolfeking

banned
I can clearly see what transferred and what didn't. I am not talking about a single 30GB folder. Its a whole bunch of PDF files, .doc/.odf files, and music, as well as some .jpgs.

I see what transferred to F(data):\wolfe\docs\file transfers. That that didn't complete, I can just restart when I get home. I actually got the biggest majority of the files, but not the .jpgs and music.

GaryCantley

think yourself lucky it was only 11 hours. I have a screen shot somewhere telling me it would take 40,000 days to copy files. :) I'll try and find it.

wolfeking

banned
I am not interested in your screen shot. It is directly related to the amount of data being transferred and the method of transfer. If I was transferring to a computer with a ATA100 drive, then it would be longer. If I was transferring at Ethernet speeds, it would be less.

paulcheung

It would be a lot faster if you take out one of the drives and use one of the usb to sata adapter to copy the files, or copy the files to an extended drive first and copy back to other drive still faster than network transfer if the network is not gigabyte network. 26gb should take less than one hour to copy.
cheers.

Last edited:

ejenner

yeah, even installing the drive inside the computer so both drives are in one machine... that can be very quick.

The tool I use for big copy tasks on Windows is Robocopy with various switches - it does a lot of stuff and is quite quick. There are different kinds of copy functions, some try and read the file and others just copy it regarless. If you want speed and the ability to pause and restart then you want something which is just going to copy the bits and bytes rather than trying to handle files individually. Not certian that robocopy works this way but it has always seemed pretty good nonetheless.

p.s. I used to work in disaster recovery on Windows systems (good industry to be in) and spent a lot of time copying terabytes of data around the place.

wolfeking

banned
stop, ok. Enough. The question was not answered, so stop offering options that didn't have a ****ing thing to do with the question.

Anymore post in this thread that does't have to do with the exact question being asked is being reported as SPAM.

tremmor

one thought no one mentioned. I know you can pick up where ya stopped you can sync or at least with windows 7. If you delete files it will deleted on the other folder or drive. If its new it will be copied to the other drive or directory. If not in the free software i mentioned a free and pay. Called syncback.

tremmor

I have to go for a while. I never played with it but have a command called briefcase. I will investigate later. I think its related to maybe what you want to do. I will check.

tremmor

Looks like briefcase is associated with sync. Check the freeware section wolfe.
There has be something there to make life easier.

wolfeking

banned
I don't really need easier. I just need to get it done.

As for the OP, if I start the transfer back again, will I have to do the whole transfer over, or am I going to get a "its already there" type message for the ~15 GB that did get transferred?

paulcheung

If you use windows 7 to do the copying. it will say the file or directory already exist, ask you to do 3 options,
1, to copy and replace files(directory)
2, to stop
3, to copy and keep two files
also you can skip

The bottom have an option to do all these with the same conflick.

Last edited:

wolfeking

banned
i am accessing the files on a laptop running vista. The computer the files are coming from is on Windows 7.
Will it still work? I noticed a couple of time moving things over to the data partition that i would get a message saying that file was already at the destination, and there was a skip option. I assume something similar will happen here, or is that only files going from one drive to another on the same computer?