I want 2-3 sub woofers. I can DIY it, but have questions.................

Ku-sama

banned
but the Amps dont plug into the wall, you'd need a home amplifier, and those run a good $300 for cheap ones. plus you have to match ohms.... it's not that simple...

ADE

banned
All I see are a few splitters form the sub connector form the Sound card and then plug a few subs in the splitters (a 1 to 2, and then another one on each end of the first) then plug them all up to a dedicated power strip then turn up the dial and hope for the best. Sounds good to me.

Archangel

VIP Member
then go for it... sorry.. but i dont see any use in thise threat except you boosting your post count. "I want 2 or 3 sub's for $20, what can i get?"
basicly nothing.. even active subs need a pre-amp (the home cinema ones) and hooking up more speakers to the pc and let them be powered by the soundcard would make the soundcard blow because its overloaded...

besides the point.. youre 96 and won the lottery... -.- go buy a Bentley and drive around in that.

Motoxrdude

Im sorry ADE, but damn. Getting two subs is the most you EVER want to put on one amp. After two, you will put some serious strain on the amp, and the ohms would kill it. Do what i did, buy a sealed box, stick two 12" mtx subs, and an alpine amp for about $300 and put that in your room. It hits pretty deep, and rattles everything in the house :p

heyman421

banned
car stereos are loud because mobile amplifiers are a lot less expensive

higher demand = more market competition and more competetive prices

you can get 4000w rms @ 1 ohm in a car for ~$800, that same power for your home would cost upwards of $1500-2000.

And despite what most people believe, more car audio enthusiasts are well aware the importance of a proper subwoofer enclosure than you may be lead to believe by the goofnuts working at your local best buy.

The custom enclosure market is booming these days, as people are getting tired of their prefab sealed/high tuned ported/ and crapshoot prefab bandpass enclosures, and as people discover proper enclosure design, streetbass is getting lower, and louder with less power.

Any cars driving by that you can hear from your house are either throwing a lot of money at their cars, or have a pretty good idea what they're doing. Luck has very little to do with piecing together a kickass substage, nor does the number of drivers.

For instance, i'm only an amature at system design, and with 2000w rms, two 15" kicker L7's in 9 cubic feet, tuned to 33hz, i only managed to hit a 143.6dB on the termlab, while there's a guy by the name of mark potts, who hit 150dB with a single 15" type-r, and about the same power, as well as a guy named dominic iraggi who managed an ungodly 169dB with a wall of 6x9 drivers............

Last edited:

ADE

banned
Well I do have a custom wiring system through out me house made to put out more serious power than standard homes, well, the power cords near my computer any way. But I guess I will look into that idea of yours Motorxdude.

ADE

banned
sub2.jpg

Please excuse my crudly done drawing but bare with me here, thats just how I though I might go about this. The 2 boxes in the middle are the subs.

Ku-sama

banned
it would work, but its not going to annoy your neighbors, and you'll lose sound quality when you split it

ADE

banned
To me, a base is just something that simulates a boom, like a bomb or granaide. Honistly, I dont expect sound to be good from a sub as much as I do the simulation of whats happoning. Yes there is sound but its not like the kind from normal speakers.

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Um, i think what ku-sama is trying to say is that solution will not provide a lot if any volume boost whasoever.Once youve split the signal, thats it, you've just split it, not duplicated, split, you cut it in half (theoretically)so half goes to one sub and half to another. So unless your routing the two split spurs into some kind of aftermarket amp before the subs, your not going to get very far.

You seem to be missing one crucial point throughout this discussion. The sub can only output what its given. It doesnt matter if they have external power or whatever, if you halve the signal given to it without going through a second (or even a first) amp, the subs will simply produce half the volume as the single sub did before the split...

dragon

*EDIT* - oh and its bass, not "base"

ADE

banned
Hmm....well, I do remember there was an option within my soundcard software that I never figured out yet how to unlock that may solve the problum you stated. As for Base and Bass, There was no little spell check in the toolbar on this computer...