I want to buy a monster PC...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Included in the $80,000 dollar price range is i want a nice display setup...(i was thinking tri monitors, each like as big as possible...
CPU Subsystem -- $16726.61

Memory Subsystem -- $25185.60

Video Subsystem -- $1518.00

Chasis and PSU -- $9061.04

Primary Harddrive Battery - Applications -- $1765.70

Secondary Hard Drive Battery - Data -- $5155.70

Tertiary Hard Drive Battery - Long Term Storage + Media Repository - $2072.99

Swap Subsystem -- $1599.00

Primary Displays -- $2709.98

Secondary Display -- $6378.47

Audio Subsystem -- $7784.99

Optical Subsystem -- $114.98

Network Subsystem -- $2182.98

Net total = $82,256.04
A bit over budget but oh well you'll live. 'Sides you can always trim stuff if you absolutely need to.

so include:
processor ( i was leaning toward AMD)
mobo
ram
video card
sound card
harddrive (i was thinking something that was fast... like 10,000 RPM or 15,000 RPM for primary and something HUGE for secondary)
Case (atx full tower)
cooling (i plan to OC best i can)
tuner
speakers (7.1)
display (three huge monitors)
OS ( i was plannin on media center... and getting vista when it came out)

Processor:AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2GHZ with 1GHZ HT
Mobo: ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 ATX AMD Motherboard
Ram:CORSAIR 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 400 (PC3200)
Video Card: MSI Geforce 6600GT 128MB
Sound Card: SABRENT SBT-SP6C Sound Card
Harddrive: 180GB
Monitor: 19" LCD 8MS Widescreen 1440x900
i would like to buy everything from NewEgg.com......
Correct me if I'm wrong but (1) you have $80K to play with (2) you know very little about computer hardware (hence the ASRock motherboard, (3) You plan on OC and (4) You want to buy from Newegg and (5) You're asking for hardware advice? ;) This isnt an attack on you ... just an observation :)

Although im sure Praetor could build you an even better one if you want.
Ya well... I tried to keep it balanced, ran out of money there at the end.

EDIT: Im sure you could use this motherboard if you want to go to the upmost extreme.
You'll need to get the M4881 and two H4881 to actually bring it to an extreme level ... or get the Transport barebones as I did and not have to track down those three other components (which are a pain)

is a good choice becase it is SLI capable and allows for two dual-core processors. What more could you ask for?
Infrastructure. Videocards, processors ... that all goes obsolete quickly. Infrastructure is much slower to go.

wouldn't this be better? see i want the biggest/best monitor i can get and have three of them
Depends what you want. If you want quality and sharpness, you cant beat a CRT. Since you're not going to notice the difference (otherwise you wouldnt have made this post to start with), I picked out superior LCDs. As for that plasma: it's crap... because:
1. 0.786mm diagonal dot pitch. For reference sake, crappy LCDs have a dot pitch of 0.31 .. for reference sake, the CRT I'm looking at right now is 0.22mm
2. The contrast ratio is pretty good ... the ratio on the LCDs i picked out is higher
3. In light of the projector, the size argument doesnt fly.

I don't think you could get an $80k computer for personal use if you tried
Sure you can and without having it gold-encrusted or anything either :)

ur like the luckyest motherf*u**ing bastard on earth
<inside joke> hehe I'd say I'm the luckier </inside joke>

lol, hey guys! im not like that!
Glad to hear, the last punk had to be put down ;)

baisically i want 3 of ther best monitors there are!
I would personally reconsider:
1. I'm a coder so I spend a boatload of time in front of the computer ... hence I have two-four high quality displays (quality first, size second). Depending on when in the month you ask me, it could be four 17" or four 19" essentiallty the point is "quality of image"
2. Now if your argument is "I want big screen for movies and stuff" -- get the projector or a plasma as you pointed out earlier. Keep the "typing and general computing" stuff on the "normal sized" displays and keep the movies and stuff on the "media displays"
3. While you may think gaming on a projector is cool ... in my subjective opinion, I would advise against it. There's simply not enough detail to even make it remotely enjoyable (unless you're playing games involving giant blocks or something ... any game that is detail oriented isnt going to be enjoyable for the reasons i outlined against plasma above)

ok now, can we start tlking about pcs? if u guys were in my shoes what would u get?
See the high end box I set out in Computer Specs 101. And add a change or two:
1. Upgrade the machine to crossfire (i.e, buya Radeon X1900 Master card)
2. Upgrade the motherboard to the very prestigious ASUS A8R32 DLX
3. Upgrade the memory to 4GB
4. Upgrade the CPU to the FX60
5. Add a soundcard
That should have you set for far less than 80K

AMD Opteron 280 Dual Core (2.4GHz) 940 2Mb Retail £531.28 £1,248.51 quantity 2
Tyan Thunder K8WE (without SCSI) S2895A2NRF Dual Opteron nForce4 Pro SLi DDR400 SATAII Raid USB2/139 £270.50 £317.84 quantity 1
512M PNY Quadro FX 4500 512MB DDR3 PCI-E OEM (Brown Box) £1,445.00 £3,395.75 quantity 2
150Gb SATA150 Western Digital Raptor X with *Clear See Thru Cover* Enterprise (10Krpm 16MB) - NCQ £207.99 £733.16 quantity 3
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum 7.1 24Bit (Internal) with 5.25" I/O System Retail UK £74.99 £88.11 quantity 1
700W FSP Epsilon FX700GLN PSU £105.71 £124.21 quantity 1
2GB Corsair Pro LED DDR PC3200 (400) ,184 Pin Non-ECC Unbuffered ,CAS 2-3-3-6 £171.95 £1,616.33 quantity 8
NZXT Nemesis Elite Black Gaming Case with Window No PSU £76.49 £89.88 quantity 1
1. Quadro on a gaming box.... not a brilliant idea.
2. Ratpor X? haha. That's humorous.
3. For the budget he can afford a XFi, no point settling for an Audigy

Im telling you this case is the shiz
koolance <http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28_43&products_id=200>
integrated water cooling in the chasis
It's not bad, however any custom made cooler is gonna be better (that and you're prolly better of with a single good pump than twin mini DC pumps)

Last edited:

Marskib

robina_80 said:
Net Total £6,479.82
Carriage £15.00
V.A.T. £1,136.59
TOTAL £7,631.41

about $3.5k

How did you manage that one? unless the UK has been invaded and burned to the ground and currency rates plummeted...

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
Oh shit!!! you ripped that budget apart like it was a peice of paper!!

I swear with all those processors and all that ram, the computer would of done something before you even thought of doing it!

Im sure not everything there is completely neccessary though, i mean, 3 UPS? And that sound system takes the piss abit

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Im sure not everything there is completely neccessary though, i mean, 3 UPS? And that sound system takes the piss abit
It's a triple redundant PSU, so one UPS per sub-PSU :)

dragon2309

P.I Dragon
Quote:
Included in the $80,000 dollar price range is i want a nice display setup...(i was thinking tri monitors, each like as big as possible...
CPU Subsystem -- $16726.61Memory Subsystem -- $25185.60Video Subsystem -- $1518.00Chasis and PSU -- $9061.04Primary Harddrive Battery - Applications -- $1765.70Secondary Hard Drive Battery - Data -- $5155.70Tertiary Hard Drive Battery - Long Term Storage + Media Repository - $2072.99Swap Subsystem -- $1599.00Primary Displays -- $2709.98Secondary Display -- $6378.47Audio Subsystem -- $7784.99Optical Subsystem -- $114.98Network Subsystem -- $2182.98Net total = $82,256.04
A bit over budget but oh well you'll live. 'Sides you can always trim stuff if you absolutely need to.

Quote:
so include:
mobo
ram
video card
sound card
harddrive (i was thinking something that was fast... like 10,000 RPM or 15,000 RPM for primary and something HUGE for secondary)
Case (atx full tower)
tuner
speakers (7.1)

Quote:
Processor:AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2GHZ with 1GHZ HT
Mobo: ASRock 939Dual-SATA2 ATX AMD Motherboard
Ram:CORSAIR 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR 400 (PC3200)
Video Card: MSI Geforce 6600GT 128MB
Sound Card: SABRENT SBT-SP6C Sound Card
Harddrive: 180GB
Monitor: 19" LCD 8MS Widescreen 1440x900

Quote:
i would like to buy everything from NewEgg.com......
Correct me if I'm wrong but (1) you have $80K to play with (2) you know very little about computer hardware (hence the ASRock motherboard, (3) You plan on OC and (4) You want to buy from Newegg and (5) You're asking for hardware advice? ;) This isnt an attack on you ... just an observation :)

Quote:

Ya well... I tried to keep it balanced, ran out of money there at the end.

Quote:
EDIT: Im sure you could use this motherboard if you want to go to the upmost extreme.
You'll need to get the M4881 and two H4881 to actually bring it to an extreme level ... or get the Transport barebones as I did and not have to track down those three other components (which are a pain)

Quote:
is a good choice becase it is SLI capable and allows for two dual-core processors. What more could you ask for?
Infrastructure. Videocards, processors ... that all goes obsolete quickly. Infrastructure is much slower to go.

Quote:
wouldn't this be better? see i want the biggest/best monitor i can get and have three of them
Depends what you want. If you want quality and sharpness, you cant beat a CRT. Since you're not going to notice the difference (otherwise you wouldnt have made this post to start with), I picked out superior LCDs. As for that plasma: it's crap... because:
1. 0.786mm diagonal dot pitch. For reference sake, crappy LCDs have a dot pitch of 0.31 .. for reference sake, the CRT I'm looking at right now is 0.22mm
2. The contrast ratio is pretty good ... the ratio on the LCDs i picked out is higher
3. In light of the projector, the size argument doesnt fly.

Quote:
I don't think you could get an $80k computer for personal use if you tried
Sure you can and without having it gold-encrusted or anything either :)

Quote:
ur like the luckyest motherf*u**ing bastard on earth
<inside joke> hehe I'd say I'm the luckier </inside joke>

Quote:
lol, hey guys! im not like that!
Glad to hear, the last punk had to be put down ;)

Quote:
baisically i want 3 of ther best monitors there are!
I would personally reconsider:
1. I'm a coder so I spend a boatload of time in front of the computer ... hence I have two-four high quality displays (quality first, size second). Depending on when in the month you ask me, it could be four 17" or four 19" essentiallty the point is "quality of image"
2. Now if your argument is "I want big screen for movies and stuff" -- get the projector or a plasma as you pointed out earlier. Keep the "typing and general computing" stuff on the "normal sized" displays and keep the movies and stuff on the "media displays"
3. While you may think gaming on a projector is cool ... in my subjective opinion, I would advise against it. There's simply not enough detail to even make it remotely enjoyable (unless you're playing games involving giant blocks or something ... any game that is detail oriented isnt going to be enjoyable for the reasons i outlined against plasma above)

Quote:
ok now, can we start tlking about pcs? if u guys were in my shoes what would u get?
See the high end box I set out in Computer Specs 101. And add a change or two:
1. Upgrade the machine to crossfire (i.e, buya Radeon X1900 Master card)
2. Upgrade the motherboard to the very prestigious ASUS A8R32 DLX
3. Upgrade the memory to 4GB
4. Upgrade the CPU to the FX60
5. Add a soundcard
That should have you set for far less than 80K

Quote:
AMD Opteron 280 Dual Core (2.4GHz) 940 2Mb Retail £531.28 £1,248.51 quantity 2
Tyan Thunder K8WE (without SCSI) S2895A2NRF Dual Opteron nForce4 Pro SLi DDR400 SATAII Raid USB2/139 £270.50 £317.84 quantity 1
512M PNY Quadro FX 4500 512MB DDR3 PCI-E OEM (Brown Box) £1,445.00 £3,395.75 quantity 2
150Gb SATA150 Western Digital Raptor X with *Clear See Thru Cover* Enterprise (10Krpm 16MB) - NCQ £207.99 £733.16 quantity 3
Creative Audigy 2 ZS Platinum 7.1 24Bit (Internal) with 5.25" I/O System Retail UK £74.99 £88.11 quantity 1
700W FSP Epsilon FX700GLN PSU £105.71 £124.21 quantity 1
2GB Corsair Pro LED DDR PC3200 (400) ,184 Pin Non-ECC Unbuffered ,CAS 2-3-3-6 £171.95 £1,616.33 quantity 8
NZXT Nemesis Elite Black Gaming Case with Window No PSU £76.49 £89.88 quantity 1

1. Quadro on a gaming box.... not a brilliant idea.
2. Ratpor X? haha. That's humorous.
3. For the budget he can afford a XFi, no point settling for an Audigy

Quote:
Im telling you this case is the shiz
koolance <http://www.koolance.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=28_43&products_id=200>
integrated water cooling in the chasis

It's not bad, however any custom made cooler is gonna be better (that and you're prolly better of with a single good pump than twin mini DC pumps)

holy crap, bow down in your wrath, that has to be a cf.com record or something.....

dragon2309 :D

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
that has to be a cf.com record or something.....
Record for budget? Yes it is. Record for postlength, VC101 has that one IIRC, Record for most # links in a thread, CompSpec101 has that heh

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
dragon2309 said:
holy crap, bow down in your wrath, that has to be a cf.com record or something.....

dragon2309 :D
LOL, did you have to quote the whole post, its made the page twice as long, so now it takes even longer to scroll down :p

rahving

As a test you could try putting a lone Nvidia TNT video card in there and see if it blows up or something.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Hehe the box already has 5 video output connectors mind you :p Four from the 7800s and one from the onboard hehe

rahving

I mean just the Nvidia TNT video card by itself. Lol no other video cards. I wonder if somehow the TNT card could be carried higher performance wise, and if so how much.

DanTheMan

elmarcorulz said:
heh... i c praetor now... the guy with 18,000post count?
can u make a PC as good as u possibly can including:

mobo
ram
video card
sound card
Case (atx full tower)
tuner
speakers (7.1)

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
heh... i c praetor now... the guy with 18,000post count?
can u make a PC as good as u possibly can including:
If my above post wasnt sufficient, there's nothing I can post that can significantly help you further