I want to buy a monster PC...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ok, so then y did u go through the trouble of making the system 4 me?
Trouble?

so i will pick out the components... ik the basics guys... i built my last PC...
In that case, visit Computer Specs 101

And look up the top gaming computer and make the following adjustments
- Motherboard = ASUS A8R32 DLX
- RAM: OCz PC4800 Platinum Elite or Crucial Ballistix PC4000, get 2x1GB or 4x1GB
- HDD: Switch it up to Maxtor MaxLine III 500GB SATA-II
- SoundCard = Soundblaster X-Fi Elite
- Video System = Add a X1900XT Master Card

ok i just upgraded my PC...
look in my signature 2 c what i purchased in my upgrade...
Again, get rid of that ASRock motherboard and you'll have a more than respectable machine.... although I am no longer a fan of Corsair's XMS (which are still quite respectable), your motherboard will be holding that back

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
ehh... he is only havin it 4a few months
it isn't worth it
If thats in reference to my continued reccomendation to ditch the ASRock board, a few hours is too long let alone a few months.

34erd

Actualy that ASrock board is supposed to have a riser card to upgrade to AM2, but its a crappy board nonetheless.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Current PC [just upgraded, better one commming when the AM2 comes out]

Processor:AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.4GHz w/ 1GHz HT
Mobo: ASUS A8R32 DLX
Ram:CORSAIR XMS 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR 500 (PC4000)
Video Card: SAPPHIRE Radeon X1900XT 512MB
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite
Speakers: KLIPSCH ULTRA 2 THX SYSTEM
Harddrive:
C: Fujitsu 147GB 3.5" SCSI Ultra320 15,000RPM
D: 180GB 7,500RPM
Display:2 Dell Monitors 3007WFP 30"
What scsi controller card are u using?

Heres a nice PC- $15,000 as standard can have 6GB of RAM, 4 Hard Drives, and christ knows what else-
Its nice but the $5000 machine I've spec'd previously is arguably far superior.

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
This is getting off topic so I'll mention it once here, if you want further info, make a thread in Memory section.
- XMS is damn nice memory, in fact I use it as a baseline
- However, since I use it as a baseline it cannot be anywhere near the top
- From a technical point of view XMS is rated for 2-3-2-5 (or 2-2-2-5) at 2.75v for PC3200. If you intend to run the stock XMS thats perfectly fine. Hoewever if you plan on overclocking, using memory that is PC3200 2-2-2-5 @ 2.75 isnt brilliant unless you're using say a NF4Ultra-D board where u can jack the vDimm all the way out to 4.0v (which, for the record, XMS will not handle).
- Now we all know that XMS memory will run PC3200 2-2-2-5 (or 2-3-2-5) at 2.50v ... but if you had the choice of buying Corsair's XMS or another decent brand which had the same timings at 2.55v ... now provided (1) you're not a fanboy (2) the other brand/product is reasonably comparable ... there's little to no reason to choose XMS :)
- As a quick counter example, when I upgraded the memory on my bitxh-box, I had the choice of Corsairs TwinX PC3200 and Crucial's Ballistix PC4000 based on pricing ... now the TwinX was 2-2-2-5 @ 2.75 @ PC3200, the Ballistix was 2.5-3-3-8 @ 2.80 @ PC4000 (and 2-2-2-5 @ 2.6 @ PC3200). It's just a quick analysis :)

Jet

VIP Member
jancz3rt said:
Yes the motherboard is insane but does not have AGP or PCI-Express, rendering it useless in terms of graphics power which he seems to want given that he is building a media PC. MSI's Nforce 4 Professional motherboard (looks like this: http://img.hexus.net/v2/features/nforce4prolaunch/images/board_big.jpg - could not access MSI website for exact model) is a good choice becase it is SLI capable and allows for two dual-core processors. What more could you ask for?

JAN :D

Did you read the specs? it has 2x Pci expressx16

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Did you read the specs? it has 2x Pci expressx16
1. Having two PCIEx16 doesnt mean SLI.
2. It been awhile since i looked at that board but the PCIe slots come with the M4881 and not the S4881 so all by itself, the S4881 doesnt have SLI abilities... could be wrong cant remember

ro0kie

banned
You know if you really have that much money to splurge on computers, you should think about donating some money to charity. Just a suggestion...

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
Ok people this is a computer spec's thread, not a fiscal management one. Let's stay on topic.

DanTheMan

guys y r u still posting...? i decided what 2 get! and bought it!

and btw i give %10 of my income to a church that uses it to heal sick ppl in africa and things like that