Ie7

jp198780

why does IE7 take alot of my CPU up sometimes?

like sometimes i'l be scrollin down a page, and my CPU usage will be like 100%..

PC eye

banned
A browser generally barely even touches any demand on the cpu time. Are you looking at the system idle process? Look in the task manager at the running processes when you are seeing this and see what the system idle process is at. Without any programs running that shouls see a high 99%-100% usage there.

jp198780

with nothin runnin the System Idle Process is around 90-98%...

it's doin the thing right now, when i scroll it's all slow, cause it's at 100%...

Geoff

VIP Member
with nothin runnin the System Idle Process is around 90-98%...

it's doin the thing right now, when i scroll it's all slow, cause it's at 100%...

The system idle process should be high, around 90-99%, basically thats how much of your CPU you arent using.

PC eye

banned
It's not! The idea of the system idle process is for Windows to give something for the cpu to keep busy when "nothing else" is running. Otherwise you would need to have some program running all of the time to keep the cpu from running wild and uncontrolled. Stay in the system bios too long and you will notice your cpu temp will soon climb fast as the cpu soon starts running full steam ahead without anything including Windows running.

jp198780

no, im not talkin bout the System Idle Process, im talkin about IE7 taking up all my half-full CPU, when im loadin pages and scroll up/down pages..

Geoff

VIP Member
no, im not talkin bout the System Idle Process, im talkin about IE7 taking up all my half-full CPU, when im loadin pages and scroll up/down pages..

Because it takes CPU power to render the web pages, images, and any flash thats on the page. Even more so with the CPU's in your sig.

PC eye

banned
Another thing will see a slowdown while browsing is the ISP servers and the traffic seen at certain times of the day or night when "everyone" decides to check their email. Sometimes it seems like it takes forever to load a page for this type of reason. That will see a busy cpu working on opening a slow page.

StrangleHold

Staff member
It's not! The idea of the system idle process is for Windows to give something for the cpu to keep busy when "nothing else" is running.

In Windows NT-based operating systems, the System Idle Process is the system idle task: ((it measures how much idle capacity the CPU has at any given time)). The process runs in the background and constantly monitors processing bandwidth, occupied memory and the Windows virtual paging file.

indicates what percentage of time the CPU is currently ((doing nothing)) but waiting for work.

system idle process is not a process, more a counter which is displayed in WinTasks used for measuring how much idle time the CPU is having at any particular time

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
In Windows NT-based operating systems, the System Idle Process is the system idle task: ((it measures how much idle capacity the CPU has at any given time)). The process runs in the background and constantly monitors processing bandwidth, occupied memory and the Windows virtual paging file.

indicates what percentage of time the CPU is currently ((doing nothing)) but waiting for work.

system idle process is not a process, more a counter which is displayed in WinTasks used for measuring how much idle time the CPU is having at any particular time

The task of measuring idle capacity sums it up as a "task" intended to give the cpu something to do when nothing else is running. It is intended to run in the background at all times for those periods that come up when nothing else is. When any system is powered up a cpu is constantly in need to process some set of instructions. You really should Google more to find things like...

The System Idle ProcessProcessors never rest. Once powered up, they must always be executing some thread of instructions. When not executing the thread of an active user or system process, they execute a thread of a process called System Idle Process.The System Idle Process has one thread per processor. It has such a low base priority that it runs only when nothing else is scheduled to run. This process does nothing but occupy the processors until a real thread is ready to use them. On a quiet machine, when you would expect processor use to be very low, the System Idle Process will be using most of the processor time.
http://www.systemidleprocess.com/

StrangleHold

Staff member
The System Idle Process is a process in the Microsoft Windows operating system that displays, as a percentage,(( how much CPU resources are "idle" and available for use at any given time)). The name of this "process" may be a misnomer, however, as the System Idle Process is more of a counter and less of a process that actually uses the resource percentage that it displays

Description:
the system idle process(( is not a process)), more a counter which is displayed in WinTasks used for measuring how much idle time the CPU is having at any particular time. This counter will display how much CPU Resources, as a percentage are 'idle' and available for use.

you can't change its priority. You can try to terminate it, but you'll get an error message. Why? Because it doesn't exist. "System Idle Process" is just the name Task Manager uses to track ((unused CPU cycles))

ADE

banned
Maybe you need more ram. Maybe the CPU is working to put the files as Physics memory on the HDD and it must read it off the HDD as if RAM because your out. That may take up the CPU usage. then again I could be wrong....

Geoff

VIP Member
PC Eye and StrangleHold, you're both right.

The system idle process basically tells you how much of your CPU your not using. However Windows has it in place to make the processor "pretend" to do work, otherwise it will heat up and consume more power.

StrangleHold

Staff member
[-0MEGA-];528422 said:

The system idle process basically tells you how much of your CPU your not using. However Windows has it in place to make the processor "pretend" to do work, otherwise it will heat up and consume more power.

How can a processor not have (any work) to do if windows it up and running at all? Its really not even a process but a monitor of free CPU time, once you push the power button the processor (never) has 100% free time to have anything to control it! Like I say its not even a process so it cant control anything!!

Last edited:

jp198780

[-0MEGA-];528422 said:

what do u mean pretend 2 do work? does it actually do something? and what does it do?

Geoff

VIP Member
How can a processor not have (any work) to do if windows it up and running at all? Its really not even a process but a monitor of free CPU time, once you push the power button the processor (never) has 100% free time to have anything to control it! Like I say its not even a process so it cant control anything!!

The idle process doesnt go up to 100%, it usually hovers around 90-99%. Mine is at 98% now, but im not doing anything besides typing in IE.

And from what I hear, it's because of the system idle process that we have lower CPU temps in Windows then we do in the BIOS, because Windows uses the idle process to keep the CPU from going crazy.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Thats what I mean it will never go to 100% buy the shear fact that windows is running! So there is no need to control the processor, All it does is monitor free CPU cycles not control them, because its not a process, I,ve read that crap too about it keeping the CPU from going crazy but the processor always has a load on it because windows it running! So theres no need to control it, but like I say its not even a process so it cant control anything.