Ie7

Geoff

VIP Member
Its not a process so it doesnt do anything!

Well it'd not consuming any actual power from the CPU. THe CPU has to be doing something at all times, it cant just be sitting there idling.

So the Idle Process acts like a process thats using whatever part of the CPU that other apps arent using, in order to keep it from executing pointless instructions.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Like I said since windows is running it will never go to 100% idle so there never a time its executing pointless instructions! its just a gragh

Found this at microsoft

The idle process, which contains a single thread that (monitors) the CPU's idle time.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
Windows itself is one large gui loaded into memory and gives no constant task instructions to the cpu constantly. This was found needed in the early versions of Windows where cpus would burn out if they weren't given some small task to keep them occupied.

The system idle process was then developed and included in all versions of Windows since that time. Leave your system running in the bios all day and your cpu will cook! There's nothing there to task the cpu. Essentially it start running full steam ahead looking for some task to perform.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Leave your system running in the bios all day and your cpu will cook! There's nothing there to task the cpu. Essentially it start running full steam ahead looking for some task to perform.

Got one that has been for 35 minutes, started at 27C now its at 32C, Lets see what it will do!!

Well its almost been a hour and its staying between 32C and 33C, must have a special CPU! Hum

Been over a hour still staying between 32C and 33C

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
lets all leave our rigs at the bios setup screen until after christmas :D santa will buy new ones :)

In your dreams there buddy! :p Don't be surprised at this since Linux as well is based on the old UNIX type OS that also lacked this type of tool for keeping a cpu busy even doing nothing but displaying what was available. For the longest time this was a main problem of keeping busy while running a Linux system including trips into the bios there. Hopefully the newer distros out have finally dealt with the lack there.

PC eye

banned
Show me one that has, not just where it says it will!!!

Got one that has been for 35 minutes, started at 27C now its at 32C, Lets see what it will do!!

Well its almost been a hour and its staying between 32C and 33C, must have a special CPU! Hum

The newer boards now have cpu overheat protect type circuits that would most likely throttle down the cpu's voltage or shut the system off before you would see what would have been the case on old boards. You would have to go back a good number of years to see where and why the system idle process was developed.

StrangleHold

Staff member
The newer boards now have cpu overheat protect type circuits that would most likely throttle down the cpu's voltage or shut the system off before you would see what would have been the case on old boards. You would have to go back a good number of years to see where and why the system idle process was developed.

Keep coming up with stuff, it been 3 hours and its still at 33C and no theres no voltage drop, plus its a socket 7, tried it on a 745, same thing! Show me a few sites where linux or any UNIX system is burning up CPUs when running idle, or did you not quite mean what you said there either!

Last edited:

ADE

banned
Why dont we just contact Bill Gates? He's only $95 an hour on phone, and thats on sale...Or someone could just E-mail Microsoft and ask....maybe...or maybe Santa diliver the answer as a present., heck I duno. Anyones guess is as good as mine...well, some aree better, but if no ones right, then we can't critisize each other if we have no positive answers ourselves...well we can but its hipacritical...sorta...heck, someone google it er somethin...

StrangleHold

Staff member
Why dont we just contact Bill Gates? He's only $95 an hour on phone, and thats on sale...Or someone could just E-mail Microsoft and ask....maybe...or maybe Santa diliver the answer as a present., heck I duno. Anyones guess is as good as mine...well, some aree better, but if no ones right, then we can't critisize each other if we have no positive answers ourselves...well we can but its hipacritical...sorta...heck, someone google it er somethin...

Found this at microsoft

The idle process, which contains a single thread that (monitors) the CPU's idle time.

ADE

banned
What does this mean thought? This just monitors it, why though does it got up with just simple applications like IE?

StrangleHold

Staff member
Die Die:D

SMASH.gif