if my motherboard fryed

dj_String

i recently just purchased a ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard for my new computer build and i plugged everything in and it started to smoke...there was this one power plug that i plugged in and i think i wasnt supose to do that it was the atx24pin sockey plug...i unplugged that and theres a green light now....is everything in my computer fried cause it was smoking or just my motherboard...what usually gets fried when this happens?thx guys

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
You have to attach the 24 pin plug to the motherboard or your motherboard won't receive any power to work. Chances are, you either bought a really cheap power supply or you bought a decent one and it was bad and fried itself. You won't know if the motherboard is fried until you get another power supply to test it. What power supply did you use? Brand name and model please.

dj_String

thats the power supply i got Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W SLI Ready-ATX12V V2.01 Power Supply...do you think my power supply went out? cause i see a green light now since i took off the smaller power plug...but then im worried everything else got fried up like my graphic card and mother board and processor...

spanky

thats the power supply i got Rosewill RP600V2-S-SL 600W SLI Ready-ATX12V V2.01 Power Supply...do you think my power supply went out? cause i see a green light now since i took off the smaller power plug...but then im worried everything else got fried up like my graphic card and mother board and processor...

From what I've read and seen (melted Rosewill psu), I suggest you open your PSU and do a visual inspection to make sure nothing melted and/or buy a PSU tester. They only cost like 15-25 bucks.

dj_String

do you guys thing my mother board got fried and any other stuff? it was smoking by the area where the power cord plugs in

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Try and pin-point exactly what fried... It's pretty rare EVERYTHING goes up in some, but I suppose it's possible. Check the chips on the motherboard; the capacitors and all. See if they all look fine. Nothing should be bubbled up, or (obviously) burnt.

dj_String

so u guys think i just need a new power supply? or should i get a new motherboard and proccesor? is there a way to tell if the processor is fryed? i bought the athlon 6400+ and im kinda broke so

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
The only way to tell if something is fried is to keep testing parts to see if they work or not. Another thought I just had....did you use standoffs between the motherboard and case before attaching it? You could have shorted out the motherboard. It would be easy to test the processor and video card by putting it in a friends system to see if it works.

dj_String

yeah i was gonna test my graphic card on my friends comp but then for my cpu no one has the same socket as mine so thats gonna be hard..but whats a standoffs? if my mother board is fried would the green light still turn on?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
yeah i was gonna test my graphic card on my friends comp but then for my cpu no one has the same socket as mine so thats gonna be hard..but whats a standoffs? if my mother board is fried would the green light still turn on?

Standoffs are usually little brass pegs that you screw into the holes of the case below the motherboard and then the motherboard gets screwed into the standoffs. This stops the motherboard from touching the case and shorting it out. Its hard telling if the motherboard is still good without testing it out. But i'm assuming if there was smoke something got fried.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
It changes the input voltage from 115 volts to 230 volts, depending on where you live. It should be set default to 115 volts, which is most commonly used cause thats the supply voltage coming out of the wall outlets.

oscaryu1

VIP Member
i recently just purchased a ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 NVIDIA nForce 570 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard for my new computer build and i plugged everything in and it started to smoke...there was this one power plug that i plugged in and i think i wasnt supose to do that it was the atx24pin sockey plug...i unplugged that and theres a green light now....is everything in my computer fried cause it was smoking or just my motherboard...what usually gets fried when this happens?thx guys

Not yet...

RMA that motherboard and complain, and if your parts ARE fried, complain and compain more. If they didn't fry, your just plain lucky. Most likely your parts are on their deathbeds.

RMA all of the parts, and blame them on the board.

dj_String

i bought them from newegg...is there rma process pretty easy or does it take a while? tomorrow im probally gonna go check if my graphic card still works...but i tryed my dvd player on my other computer and it still works...what should i RMA the items as on new egg?

oscaryu1

VIP Member
i bought them from newegg...is there rma process pretty easy or does it take a while? tomorrow im probally gonna go check if my graphic card still works...but i tryed my dvd player on my other computer and it still works...what should i RMA the items as on new egg?

No, only the damaged ones, and if they said that it was your fault, tell them about the accident. Where did you buy the motherboard from?

massahwahl

VIP Member
I am literally installing my first motherboard as we speak (same as yours only mine is the SLI-PLUS) and I was unsure about the standoffs as well especially since my case does not have a removable motherboard tray.

Standoffs are little 'post' looking pieces that seperate the motherboard from the back of the case. On my case, they were already in place where they needed t be, but on yours you may have to screw them in yourself. They just go under the screw holes.

massahwahl

VIP Member
I am literally installing my first motherboard as we speak (same as yours only mine is the SLI-PLUS) and I was unsure about the standoffs as well especially since my case does not have a removable motherboard tray.

Standoffs are little 'post' looking pieces that seperate the motherboard from the back of the case. On my case, they were already in place where they needed t be, but on yours you may have to screw them in yourself. They just go under the screw holes.

Wow I got beat to that one by a long shot. People are responding quicker than I can type! Hope everything works alright!

dj_String

i bought everything from newegg...i dont see any physical damage on any of the items but then im just afraid the processor is fried...

oscaryu1

VIP Member
i bought everything from newegg...i dont see any physical damage on any of the items but then im just afraid the processor is fried...

RMA the processor + motherboard, and everything else. Optical, Floppy, HDD, RAM, GFX, PSU. You can leave the case... unless it's broken too :p