if my motherboard fryed

oscaryu1

VIP Member
what should i put down for the reason? unsatisfied or defective/failure? and i was woundering what DOA means?

DOA = Dead on Arrival....

So it seems that it was your fault that the things went up in smoke? I'd say test out what you have right now.. Remember the word "Standoffs" from now on".

dj_String

yeah i dont think i have any standoffs and i plugged that one extra plug which made it smoke...but then my mother board has extra pins that fit that plug so how do i tell if i was supose to use the extra plugs or not? and where can i get standoffs at?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
yeah i dont think i have any standoffs and i plugged that one extra plug which made it smoke...but then my mother board has extra pins that fit that plug so how do i tell if i was supose to use the extra plugs or not? and where can i get standoffs at?

Standoffs come with the case along with all the other screws and attachments you'll need. Does your motherboard have a 20 or a 24 pin connection for the power supply connection? if it has the 24 pin then you use all 24 pins of the power supply. but if you only have a 20 pin connection then you would remove the 4 extra connections at the end. if you are talking about an extra 4 pin power plug separate from the 24 pin connector then that is for the 12v cpu connector which usually is around the cpu area on the motherboard. most of the time that connector is used depending on which processor you have.

dj_String

are standoffs rubber sometimes? i looked in my motherboard box and found some circle rubber things...can i test my harddrive to see if its still working by just plugging it in a different computer? and see if it runs? or do i have to configure it?

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
are standoffs rubber sometimes? i looked in my motherboard box and found some circle rubber things...can i test my harddrive to see if its still working by just plugging it in a different computer? and see if it runs? or do i have to configure it?

Those aren't standoffs. they either could be washers that you use between the motherboard and screws or shock absorbers for HD cage or something else. You can put your hard drive in another system just make sure if its IDE that you jumper it right. If its SATA then you have to make sure that system has a SATA port to plug it into.

XByteComputers

It could also be both the motherboard and power supply even though the green light one the board lights up. I had an Alienware computer in my shop that looked as if the PSU had gone out. I plugged in a tester PSU and the green light on the ASUS motherboard came on, but the unit was dead. On further inspection of the board, concealed under wires, I found the board had caught on fire in the upper left corner of it. It was a black board so it made it hard to see the fire damage, but the scorched board showed the real problem. My suggestion, invest on a PSU tester and motherboard diag card. Get rid of that Rosewill power supply too. Not very good ratings. Just about as good as HiPro in my opinion.

eztrog88

You really should find out what happened before you start sending stuff back. The green light on the mobo isn't really telling you much. Go buy a PSU tester, they're cheap, or swap the PSU and see if it works. My guess if you had a 20+4 connector for your motherboard and an aux 12v; then plugged the +4 into to aux 12v.

If you have a square 4-pin connector on the board, usually the wires going to it will be yellow an black (although, not always check your PSU documentation).

Anyways, check the PSU with a known good or with a tester. Be sure to unplug everything except the PSU, CPU, RAM, and video card if you don't have onboard video. And see if it will boot. Any POST errors?

If it doesn't boot with just those and a known good PSU then you probably fried your mobo. Replace it, be sure to use stand offs and KNOW WHAT YOU'RE CONNECTING BEFORE YOU CONNECT IT.

If you're still having problems after that, you probably fried something else. Swap RAM, CPU and video card if you don't have on board video individually until you find the problem(s).